UKC

who is familiar with Eskdale crags?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 sea_lene 08 Jul 2014
I've just submitted a new crag to FRCC though I can't really believe no-one knows about it already. Please take a look, I'm interested to find out more about it. http://www.frcc.co.uk/crags.asp?guide_id=13&crag_id=651

Alternatively if you enjoy soloing 30m slab climbs go there and do it - excellent climbing!
OP sea_lene 08 Jul 2014
In reply to A Mountain Journey:

Excellent - thanks. Did you know of it already, or were you more patient/methodical in your search?

Any advice on etiquette for getting route descriptions up and recognised? Seems that suince first ascent details are unknown then routes haven't been detailed...
 BAdhoc 08 Jul 2014
In reply to sea_lene:

30m slab climbs?!? I want a go!
 johang 09 Jul 2014
In reply to sea_lene:

Bull How. There's a couple of harder looking short lines round the western? flank as well but they look hardish, bold and rather dirty. Keep meaning to go back for a play.

Goat Crag is well worth a visit if you enjoy granite padding, solo'd everything there in a day once. Cracking.
OP sea_lene 09 Jul 2014
In reply to johang:

Thanks - I'll definitely go to goat crag soon, it looked enticing.

Bull How, the two lines I climbed, was fantastic though... Really rough, excellent rock, and long. Battling to keep it together that high off the floor felt amazing.
 johang 10 Jul 2014
In reply to sea_lene:

Sounds like a plan. Bottle Wall is the plum-line of the crag followed by Quartz Icicle. I'll have to have a play on Bull How sometime soon.

I find a lot of Eskdale trad to be quite bold; must be the flaring granite cracks.

Hare Crag and Bell Stand are also worth a good look, and a little easier to find.
OP sea_lene 31 Jul 2014
Went to goat crag on Tuesday, didn't know what I was climbing despite so e notes off ukc (don't have the guidebook)... Enjoyed the lines I did do though! I've now resorted to buying the guidebook!!

Got to bell stand this evening. Didn't find the path going up so made my own track through the bracken and over a fence - oops. Found path down luckily so will be easier next time...
 Ron Kenyon 02 Aug 2014
In reply to sea_lene:

Sorry about lack of guides.

Esk Buttress, Heron Crag, Hard Knott, Bell Stand and Hare Crag in the current selective guide.

Scafell, Eskdale and wasdale been out of print for a while.
New Routes info on FRCC website

New Duddon and Eskdale guide being worked on at the moment due out next year or following.

Lots of hidden gems along the valley.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...