UKC

I've sold (virtually) all my Canon kit and gone all in on Fuji

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 london_huddy 09 Jul 2014
Confession Time:

I've just sold (almost) all of my Canon kit because my little Fuji is, effectively, as good.

2 bodies, a big bag of lenses, a handful of lights and triggers and a whole load of batteries have gone and it's rather liberating!

All that I've kept is what I need for wildlife: one full frame body, my 600mm lens, teleconverters, tripod, gimbal head and the clapped out 24-205 and one light, just in case I need some real full frame performance and tracking AF on a job.

The IQ is comparable in almost all conditions, the lens selection (other than very long teles) is as good and only tracking AF is different and I don't expect that deficiency to last long beyond the next generation of bodies.

I'm confident that my Fuji kit can cope with everything else. It's going to be interesting to see how wedding and other clients respond to a guy with a smaller camera than many guests but, It's Not the Camera.

Stevie989 09 Jul 2014
In reply to london_huddy:

Its personal preference really. I've never used the Fuji system so can't comment but you say image quality is comparable in 'almost all conditions' - I take it it suffers in low light?

I use very little flash at weddings and would like to be without the High ISO capabilities of a modern DSLR.
 The Potato 09 Jul 2014
Just curious as to why you felt the need to share your decision?
As Stevie said, its personal preference.
Post edited at 11:09
OP london_huddy 09 Jul 2014
In reply to ow arm:

I simply thought that people would be interested. There are still lots of "what DSLR" threads and this, I hoped, might make people realise that there are other options.

Stevie - Yep, high ISO isn't there yet, but with f1.4 lenses, it's not that important (and noise reducing post processing is getting better and better).

I'll send you links to some low light stuff if you like but I struggle to find the difference between the last generation of Canon (7D/5DII) and the Fuji. 1DX, 5D3 still have a good edge.
 Kai 09 Jul 2014

Fuji makes a nice system. Lenses are still too large for my tastes. I prefer the micro 4/3 solution. Small camera. Small lenses.
 ChrisJD 09 Jul 2014

I tried out the Fuji X system and liked it a lot (coming from a FF Canon system and also having tried out Pano GF-1, GH-1 and Sony Mirroless).

But sold the Fuji and kept all my Canon stuff and bought a 70D body to replace an old FF body. I enjoy using the Canon system (modern body) much more than the XE-1 and prefer the Canon image outputs.

Am tempted by a X100s or a XA1 with 17mm as a pocket camera though.
 andi turner 09 Jul 2014

The fuji system is causing a stir in astronomy circles too. I've seen the quality, and have to agree it's very tempting too.
OP london_huddy 09 Jul 2014
In reply to andi turner:
It's horses for courses. I love the size, ergonomics and it works for me and for what I do.

I know of two very high end fashion guys who have swapped to X-Pros without looking back - it's cool to watch Fuji breaking in and the competition will be good for Canon and Nikon.
Post edited at 18:19
 Solaris 09 Jul 2014
In reply to andi turner:

Interesting, why is the Fuji system particularly of interest to astronomers?
 Solaris 09 Jul 2014
In reply to ChrisJD:

> But sold the Fuji and kept all my Canon stuff and bought a 70D body...

Well, according to the rules of the game of life, there have to be some losers...

But according to da UKC photography collective, everyone can be a winner! I'm really loving it, Chris! Only problem is, I now want to start adding lenses.

ChrisJD 09 Jul 2014
In reply to Solaris:

I really did like the Fuji - but something had to give as had too many cameras and lenses in the house! And the 70D suits me.

Glad you are liking the Fuji I do miss it and thank it for re-igniting the photographic urge.
 andi turner 10 Jul 2014
In reply to Solaris:

Mainly due to its phenomenal noise control.
http://digiborg.wordpress.com/page/9/
 Solaris 10 Jul 2014
In reply to andi turner:

Aha! Of course! Interesting images there.
 BAdhoc 10 Jul 2014

AP mag just had an article about how good Fuji is, glad to hear it is in real life too! I'm an olympus user, get ready for the look of shock when people ask if you're canon or Nikon and you say neither

Interestingly, I'm considering flogging my X-E1/18-55/50-230 kit.

Reason being, the wide angle zoom and decent primes are soooo expensive.

The new Canon 10-18 is very keenly priced, for example. As are the 85mm f/1.8 and 55-250.

I'm keeping my X100, mind.
OP london_huddy 16 Jul 2014
In reply to Dispater:

Fair enough: depends what you want to do.

Most of the Fuji lenses are up there with the Canon L series for quality and aren't cheep. But, at the top end, some of them are very good comparative value (e.g. the Canon 85 1.2 is ~£1800, the Fuji 56 1.2 is £850.

yarbles 16 Jul 2014

Interesting system the Fuji, was tempted but went the olympus route. DSLRs are too big for my needs too and v little image quality difference in my opinion. Unless you want super shallow DOF or need the perspective properties of a larger sensor there seems to be v little point.

I do miss the optical viewfinder though.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...