UKC

Why would somebody steal my hubcaps?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
somebody else 09 Jul 2014
Apologies if this comes across as a rather pathetic post, but this is bothering us a bit.

Moved to a new place in Dumbarton three days ago, and realised last night that some scrote had nicked all four hubcaps from my car. No big deal in the grand scheme of things, but a bit of a disappointing welcome to the neighbourbood. Nice (and middle-class) street, lovely friendly neighbours, but some slightly edgier areas a short walk away. Car similar to others on street (which are still intact!).

All I'm really wondering is - why on earth would somebody nick some dirty and scratched pieces of plastic worth a tenner new? Cable-tied on, so would have required slightly more than token effort. Wife is worried that it could be a "statement" rather than an actual theft for financial gain. What do people reckon? That would be a bit unsettling if so. Pretty sure we haven't offended anyone (after 3 days!!), car parked outside our own house, etc. It's got us a bit paranoid though, trying to come up with any tenuous reason - e.g. surely the MREW (i.e. england...) sticker in the car window isn't a problem??

Anyway, hopefully you'll all be able to tell me to man up, it happens all the time, doesn't mean anything, and I've just led a sheltered existence! What do you reckon?
 JM 09 Jul 2014
In reply to somebody else:

If you find one of the hubcaps in your bed, that is when you really have to start worrying.
 tmawer 09 Jul 2014

Perhaps they have "lost" their own? I once arrived at my vehicle to find someone unscrewing my back light cover for this reason.
Removed User 09 Jul 2014

It might be prudent to make sure you have some locking wheel nuts fitted.
 Scomuir 09 Jul 2014

Isn't necessarily anyone local, or could be kids because they can, or someone unable to put the effort to go to Halfords to replace their own missing hubcaps, etc. ~Annoying as it is, I wouldn't read too much into it, and half expect your replacements to go missing as well (assuming you do replace them).

Someone once nicked the little caps that covered the wheel nuts of my old Passat when it was parked outside my Dads. Was while we were sorting out my Mums funeral. Nice timing. Also, in the same street, and on a previous car, the fuel pipe was cut and fuel drained. I didn't notice, and ran out of fuel on the main road. Thankfully, it was me and not my mum, so was able to push the car off the road into a side street. This was in a village on the outskirts of town. Doesn't really matter if you perceive the area to be nice or not.
 The Potato 09 Jul 2014

I was visiting a friend in sheffield once and some tw@ nicked my rear wiper blade!

sadly there are scum everwhere
 jkarran 09 Jul 2014

> All I'm really wondering is - why on earth would somebody nick some dirty and scratched pieces of plastic worth a tenner new? Cable-tied on, so would have required slightly more than token effort. Wife is worried that it could be a "statement" rather than an actual theft for financial gain. What do people reckon?

I reckon someone probably needed some hubcaps, yours were the right size. Nicking them is marginally easier and cheaper than buying them.

jk
 ben b 09 Jul 2014

Someone took my driver's side mirror while parked at Llangattock, which was kind of them. Just the glass - evidently the actual unit wasn't the right colour for them. Presumably much cheaper than going to the garage - why not just take someone else's?

The pinnacle of this thinking was when a colleague (in Liverpool, natch) walked out to her car one morning to find the entire bonnet of her car had disappeared overnight. Battery etc was still all there. Apparently 'stolen to order' is quite common.

It's nothing personal, it's just what they do. The little sh*ts.

b
Removed User 09 Jul 2014

I had both wing mirrors nicked of my Corsa back in the day. Nice village but on a main road. MTFU.
 Hephaestus 09 Jul 2014

> Wife is worried that it could be a "statement" rather than an actual theft for financial gain. What do people reckon?

The simplest explanation is usually the right one. Someone else needed some hub caps.

Rgds, Occam.
 Loughan 09 Jul 2014

I like the way this thread is going

On new years day a friend offered to drive to McDonalds so we all piled down to his car

On reaching it he stated it was odd that he had left the window down overnight, especially on a cold wet new years eve but nothing was damaged.

Once he got into the car he immediately spotted what was wrong. Someone had stolen all his Happy Meal soft toys... but left the 3 quid that was sitting below them!
OK fair enough, we'll write it off and hope nothing else happens.

In reply to Removed User:
>> Anyway, hopefully you'll all be able to tell me to man up
> MTFU.
Thanks.
Party Boy 09 Jul 2014

> I had both wing mirrors nicked of my Corsa back in the day. Nice village but on a main road. MTFU.

I had both mirrors nicked of my Corsa as well - parked outside the bar where I was working in the centre of Liverpool. I spotted them a few days later on another Corsa so just took them back and left a note on the window saying I had taken them.....
 RomTheBear 09 Jul 2014
> Anyway, hopefully you'll all be able to tell me to man up, it happens all the time, doesn't mean anything, and I've just led a sheltered existence! What do you reckon?

It doesn't mean anything, I had four deflated tyres just because kids though it was fun.
Also once I caught a guy trying to steal my wing mirror cover. Turns out that this guy had a company car the same as mine and had scratched the wing mirror cover, and was so afraid of his boss blaming him that he thought stealing mine to replace his would be better.
Post edited at 13:21
abseil 09 Jul 2014

> Apologies if this comes across as a rather pathetic post, but this is bothering us a bit...

Not a pathetic post at all, that kind of thing is really bothersome. On the bright side, in my experience it's usually kids just passing through the area, possibly bored / looking for 'fun'. Really annoying though, my sympathies.
Removed User 09 Jul 2014
In reply to Party Boy:

Right. So it is apparent that you were an implicit part of the Corsa wing mirror theiving chain that eventually found its way across the Pennines to me?
 1step2far 09 Jul 2014

Someone stole the word 'sport' off of my clio once. Harmless but surprisingly irritating.

Just an odd question but when did wheel trims become hubcaps? Am I that old and no longer down with my homies?
 Aly 09 Jul 2014
In reply to grumpybearpantsclimbinggoat:

Somebody got into my car whilst I was away recently. They took an empty shower gel container, some os maps printed off the internet and 3 costa sugar sachets, but left all my climbing gear and a rather expensive bottle of whisky despite having to move them to get at the shower gel. I was stumped.
Party Boy 09 Jul 2014

Well I didn't steal the mirrors......I just took them back.....
 Loughan 09 Jul 2014
In reply to Aly:

> Somebody got into my car whilst I was away recently. They took an empty shower gel container, some os maps printed off the internet and 3 costa sugar sachets, but left all my climbing gear and a rather expensive bottle of whisky despite having to move them to get at the shower gel. I was stumped.

It wasn't your better half tidying up by any chance?
 philhilo 09 Jul 2014

Couldn't start my car once, turned out the spark plug cables and distributor cap had been pinched, plus one headlight....right car wrong place. Mind you that was in Aston, by Villa Park in Birmingham in the 80's, around about Handsworth riot time.

One of my neighbours in Canada had children who were real rascals - worse than my own. I once saw the neighbour's son kneeling down and doing something to one of my car tyres. He ran off when I went to confront him, and I found that he had screwed a normal household screw into the tire.

In New Orleans, hub caps got pinched with monotonous regularity. (There was a shop in the neighbourhood that dealt exclusively with new and used hub-caps.)
 Timmd 09 Jul 2014
In reply to Aly:

> Somebody got into my car whilst I was away recently. They took an empty shower gel container, some os maps printed off the internet and 3 costa sugar sachets, but left all my climbing gear and a rather expensive bottle of whisky despite having to move them to get at the shower gel. I was stumped.

That's really weird.
 gd303uk 09 Jul 2014

Somebody did a poo on my bonnet , I didn't care if it was personal or not, carried on just the same as normal. If i pissed somebody off and all they could do was that and not actually front me , you have to laugh , if it was a random drunk; I lived near lark lane a busy drinking spot , I thought at least it wasn't personal and it washes off easy enough .
Forget about it ether way and go about your life until something serious happens.
In reply to philhilo:

> Couldn't start my car once, turned out the spark plug cables and distributor cap had been pinched, plus one headlight

Now you mention it, back when I was young some scallies stole the distributor cap from my dad's morris minor, a threadbare wollen hat, and a fire extinguisher. The criminal masterminds were arrested the next day for letting of the extinguisher in the local shopping centre, and my dad had to go to court to identify the hat!
 ewar woowar 09 Jul 2014
In reply to gd303uk:

> Somebody did a poo on my bonnet ,

It might have been a big bird!

;~))

Dave Garnett 10 Jul 2014
> (In reply to somebody else)
>
> Just an odd question but when did wheel trims become hubcaps? Am I that old and no longer down with my homies?

It's more the other way round, hub caps were replaced by wheel trims, but I thought they were also pretty well extinct by now.
 bigsecret 10 Jul 2014
A friend returned to his car after a visit to the cinema to find the windscreen stolen from his Fiat Panda. The thoughtful chap(s) had removed the tax disk and company car park pass and put them in the glove box. This was especially nice because it was windy and raining and they would have been ruined or blown away if left on the dashboard. He drove round to the local police station to report the theft and they breathalysed him for his trouble.
In reply to Dave Garnett:

Just realised that I have covers over the centre of my alloys - therefore I have hubcaps!

Well I never!
 Timmd 10 Jul 2014
In reply to gd303uk:

> Somebody did a poo on my bonnet , I didn't care if it was personal or not, carried on just the same as normal. If i pissed somebody off and all they could do was that and not actually front me , you have to laugh , if it was a random drunk; I lived near lark lane a busy drinking spot , I thought at least it wasn't personal and it washes off easy enough .

> Forget about it ether way and go about your life until something serious happens.

Is that Sefton Park in Liverpool? My late Gramdma used to live near Lark Lane. Keep meaning to go back there for a look.
 Jenny C 10 Jul 2014

> Just realised that I have covers over the centre of my alloys - therefore I have hubcaps!

We used to have those - until someone stole them.
 JoshOvki 10 Jul 2014

My Mum had the mirror and cover taken off her wing mirror on a Friday night. Not being bothered to do anything about it on the weekend I went out of Monday morning ready to take it to the scrappies to get replacements when I noticed someone had put them back!

My stepdads car was stolen about 3 weeks after we moved into a new house, again on a Friday night. Only for it to be returned on Sunday, with a note apologizing for taking the car and the damage done to the dash, £200 in an envelope to pay for it to be fixed and a full tank of fuel.
 Carolyn 10 Jul 2014

> It's more the other way round, hub caps were replaced by wheel trims, but I thought they were also pretty well extinct by now.

I know a fair few people who have a set of steel wheels with winter tyres on, some of whom care about having wheel trims on them......
 gd303uk 10 Jul 2014
In reply to Timmd:
yes it is , don't let my story put you off visiting, it is in my opinion one of the best places to visit and live around, in Liverpool; great houses, incredible park and palm house, and Lark lane itself is/was a brilliant place to live, I lived there during the 80s and 90s, I had a great time living there, I still miss it.

edit ,
Gentrification , people moving there for a taste of what it was, turning it into something else. still good though
Post edited at 12:01
Jim C 10 Jul 2014
You live near where they film River City ?
Post edited at 12:14
 Blue Straggler 10 Jul 2014

> It's more the other way round, hub caps were replaced by wheel trims

Correct

> but I thought they were also pretty well extinct by now.

What do you mean by this? That most people have alloys, or that most people don't care about the exposed steel wheel?

Clarence 10 Jul 2014

Last time I visited friends in Girvan I managed to knacker my achilles tendon while out for a run and had to have my leg plastered. On my way home I leaned against the wall of the railway station to find my ticket and a pairs of neds ran off with my crutches leaving me completely immobile. At least your car still goes without hubcaps MTFU!

I got home thanks to a nice man from Scotrail who knew where there was a pair of crutches in the station lost property.
 wilkie14c 10 Jul 2014

They seem to nick anything these days, I had some bird shit on the windscreen and the next morning guess what? Yep, gone! The thieving scum even going out in the pouring rain on the rob
Removed User 10 Jul 2014

Sounds like a random theft, some people will nick the pattern off the carpet given half a chance.

Oddest, or so I thought, car related theft I had was about 9 months ago, someone had pinched both my number plates. I mostly park in a very posh area just outside the permit zone and often leave the car for up to two weeks. The plates turned up months later on a stolen car in Glasgow. Turns out that some streets just outside permit zones get cased by crims looking for cars that get left for a while so they have a potentially large time window between nicking the plates and them turning up on police radar.
 spartacus 10 Jul 2014
Bump
Jim C 10 Jul 2014
In reply to wilkie14c:

Our shed got broken into years back and I lost some good tools , and they also stole 2 chicken currys from the freezer we keep out there.

The policeman who attended, wrote down every item, but I discerned a slight grin as he put those curries down ,( which he insisted in doing )

we had just mentioned them , as a passing interest, not looking to get them back.
Jim C 10 Jul 2014

> It might be prudent to make sure you have some locking wheel nuts fitted.

Back in the 70 's it was car badges that got stolen as I recall, youngsters.
( not me, I collected beer mats ) .

These kids used to 'collect ' the badges , ie lever them off parked cars, often damaging the paintwork in an effort not to break the badge.
My uncle had a big 70's Zodiac that got the badge nicked.

The rarer the car, the more chance that you would lose the badge.
Run of the mill , common cars (of the day ) were left alone.

Anyone still got a car badge collection?
( or hub cap
 BenTiffin 10 Jul 2014
In reply to JoshOvki:

My mate had a similar one in Sheffield when his Nova racing, with its stunning array of stickers was nicked. However, it was abandoned 50m doen the road when they realised what a shed it was!!
 coreybennett 10 Jul 2014

Do you live near Glasgow? Because someone just put a thread up selling 4 dustcaps...
 JJL 10 Jul 2014

About ten years ago my car was broken into... No damage but my Neil young cd had been replaced with a joy division one.

A mate had his car stolen twice and both times they took the radio but took out and left behind his erasure cd.
 birdie num num 11 Jul 2014

I normally sell sets of four in my car boot sale. If you let me know what car I can send the Num Num children out to get some for you.
Lusk 11 Jul 2014
In reply to Jim C:

Zodiac is the pride of my collection.
Jim C 11 Jul 2014
In reply to Lusk:

> Zodiac is the pride of my collection.

Swap you for a Consul badge?
( with an 8 track with James Last tapes and Aker Bilk. )
 Timmd 11 Jul 2014
If I'd only just moved to a new home and had the zip ties broken to remove all my hubcaps, I'd probably be a little bit perturbed.
Post edited at 00:37
In reply to JJL:
> (In reply to somebody else)
>
> About ten years ago my car was broken into... No damage but my Neil young cd had been replaced with a joy division one.

Thieves with taste.
>
> A mate had his car stolen twice and both times they took the radio but took out and left behind his erasure cd.

Not gay thieves then.

andi turner 11 Jul 2014

I had my fog light trim stolen from my bumper the other month. Annoying, but replaceable I thought. When I tried to order one, I realised you had to buy the whole light set just to get the trim. Made me consider nicking someone else's!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...