UKC

Best lights for daylight use?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
I need advice on which are the brightest and best lights for daylight use. Light conditions change rapidly sometimes and after seeing a guy the other week in the Peak with an amazing back light that I could see from about half a mile away I decided I wanted one myself. The more lihts the merrier I believe.

andy 09 Jul 2014
In reply to Frank the Husky:
I have a little Exposure back light on my commuter - rechargeable.
 The Potato 09 Jul 2014

I think the NiteRider Lightning Bug would be useful as a small bright light
 AndyC 09 Jul 2014

I use a Cateye Volt50 on the back. Lots of sun and shade on my commute, hopefully it gives a little extra visibility.
 AlisonSmiles 09 Jul 2014

Moon Shield 60 rear light is so bright cars pull out earlier and wider to go past. Which is nice.
In reply to AlisonSmiles:

Brilliant, thanks everyone. I like the sound of the Moon Sheild thingy the best.
 blurty 10 Jul 2014

Have a look on Deal Extreme. V cheap, V bright.
 elsewhere 10 Jul 2014
Any suggestions for daytime front lights?
Thanks.

Bob 10 Jul 2014

Moon Comet. There's a front and rear light, small (about the size of your finger) and USB chargeable. Has steady, flashing and epileptic modes

I use them as backups for my main lights in winter.
In reply to Bob: Thanks, I'll check them out. The revoiews for the Moon Sheild 60 don't do it any favours....it seems to fall off very easily amongst other things.

rousse 10 Jul 2014

Exposure Blaze is amazingly bright and so it should be, for the price. Great light, USB rechargable, easy to take on/off bike, etc.

Used it in the Peak last week (in daylight) and mate behind couldn't believe the brightness...
 Neil Williams 10 Jul 2014
Be careful to position such lights correctly, i.e. dipped down and to the nearside, so you don't dazzle drivers (this is a risk to you) and other cyclists (this is plain antisocial and I'm getting fed up with it).

Neil
Post edited at 11:40
In reply to Neil Williams: Good advice, thanks boss.

AlisonSmiles 11 Jul 2014

That's odd - I use it on the mountain bike as well as road bike and despite lumpy bumpy descents and drop offs the thing's always there and always functional when I'm back on the road!
In reply to AlisonSmiles:

Yeah, at least 50% of the reviews on wiggle mentioned lost lights and/or rubbish mountings, but if yours is good then stick with what works.
Dorq 11 Jul 2014

I wouldn't want to rely on electronics myself for something so important in bad lighting.

I saw some women's bright florescent baselayers in the Supermarket. I wish they made more stuff like that. In winter days, the best thing for head on brightness I've seen someone wearing was a pair of florescent gloves.

That probably doesn't help you, it's probably annoying, but when I see riders in black cycle clothing and rucksack combinations, I am just glad I can see them at all (not to throw accusations at anyone). Same with motorcyclists but then their lights won't get lost or stolen...

Jon
In reply to Dorq: I agree. I'm an EMT with the ambulance service in Manchester, and we regularly get car vs cyclist calls where the cyclist had no lights, dark clothing and that's often at night and/or in winter and bad weather. Some people are just moronic and are cycling towards an early death.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...