UKC

Jabberwok

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 SOUTHERN GRAY 10 Jul 2014

Popped out to Gable Crag last night, ended up doing Jabberwok and could not believe the amount of crampon/ axe scratches on it. I know this topic has been done to death on here and I rarely post but just felt the need to mention it. I dread to think what rock routes like this are going to look like in 10 years time, especially with the general rise in standard of winter climbing in the Lakes/ elsewhere. I found it a bit saddening, thats all. I know theres loads of folk who have arguments FOR scratching their way up routes like this but I just felt like saying something about it. Rant over.
Post edited at 10:32
 shantaram 10 Jul 2014
In reply to SOUTHERN GRAY:

I totally agree. Absolute vandalism. If the 'winter climbers' who scratched their way up some of these Gable classics returned in summer, I think they would probably feel ashamed of their ascents when they saw the damage done. Gable crag is one of the best rock climbing crags in the Lake District. One a summers evening catching the setting sun you can't get better.

I have climbed Jabberwock in summer a few times and I can't remember any drainage, vegetation or turf that in my eyes would make it a winter climb. Although I totally oppose winter ascents of Engineers Slab, at least the upper groove is a drainage line that would be iced up in winter.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...