UKC

Helmets with visors

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The New NickB 10 Jul 2014
What are people’s views on road aero helmets, particularly those with visors such as the Giro Air Attack Shield, Casco Speedster Visor or Speed Airo? As someone who wears glasses, I quite like the idea of a tinted shield. I also quite (think) I like the styling and fact that they seem quite close fitting. I have not managed to try any on yet. I appreciate that there is a potential look a bit of a bell end and also they are quite heavy, not to mention expensive.
 balmybaldwin 10 Jul 2014
In reply to The New NickB:

Tinted seems a bit of a gamble given that I have 4 different tints for my cycling glasses that I change according to conditions - you'd be a bit stuffed using a dark visor on a wet day etc.
OP The New NickB 10 Jul 2014
In reply to balmybaldwin:

> Tinted seems a bit of a gamble given that I have 4 different tints for my cycling glasses that I change according to conditions - you'd be a bit stuffed using a dark visor on a wet day etc.

They do come off.

> look a bit of a bell end and also they are quite heavy, not to mention expensive.

Don't use an aero helmet for road riding. You look like a right fanny and you can use the money better getting some prescription sunglasses or even photo-chromatic glasses. I have some photochromatic sunglasses that go from high-contrast yellow to super dark brown. Works a treat!

Also the aero helmet won't give you much gains on the road bike because you aren't in the most aerodynamic position, unless you are in which case I imagine you're very uncomfortable on your bike!
OP The New NickB 10 Jul 2014
In reply to Bob_the_Builder:

Have you looked at the models in question?

> Have you looked at the models in question?

If you're asking that because of my comment about very little gains, The problem with things like this is they're all marginal gains tech. So you're not going to notice the difference unless everything else is optimised. And they look really hot (not necessarily a bad thing in the UK?)

If you're only looking because of the visor I think prescription sunglasses are a better option. But go to a fairly posh optometrist, I got my first prescription sunnies from Specsavers and the sunglasses made my eyes hurt. I went to a different optometrist and the glasses guy explained how, because of my astigmatism, there were a lot of requirements to make me glasses that worked properly.
 woolsack 10 Jul 2014

I've got a Kask Bambino TT helmet with a visor on it and it mists up at the slightest hint of moisture. I've found a reasonable fix spacing the top edge off with an extra magnet on the top middle but on a pure road bike where you are not so head down I think I'd prefer a bit more air blowing around
 ClimberEd 10 Jul 2014

The casco is super comfortable - particularly if you get the top model as it has a kind of net thingy in it keeping the main shell slightly away from your head.
 Neil Williams 11 Jul 2014
In reply to Bob_the_Builder:

Specsavers can be fine. Like all franchises (because that is what they are) there are good and bad ones.

Neil

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...