UKC

Good places/resorts for a 'learn to ski' holiday

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Flatus Vetus 11 Jul 2014
If you wanted to learn to ski where would you go? I'll be traveling alone, have 2 weeks to spare and can afford private lessons. I'm not interested in apres-ski and would prefer not to go to France. Any suggestions?
 Edradour 11 Jul 2014
In reply to Flatus Vetus:

Canada. Preferably at a resort where you don't have to travel a long way to the hill (like Banff). Try Whistler (walk to the slopes), Fernie (10 mins on bus), Panorama (walk), Castle Mountain (walk), Golden.

I wouldn't worry too much about heading to a huge resort if you've never skied before - you'll find plenty to go at for your first couple of weeks at one of the smaller ones.
 Mike-W-99 11 Jul 2014

I'd go to Austria if learning again. I was in Soll a few years ago and thought it would be a decent place to learn.
 Gasmerchant 11 Jul 2014

My other half learned to ski at Soll in Austria during the last season and really enjoyed it. Given that she is a bit girly and prone to the bruising, and getting the yips she did really well and wanted to carry on. The nursery slope is at the base of the ski gondola and away from the busy main area.

Food and booze is reasonably cheap too for a ski resort.
 NottsRich 11 Jul 2014

If you do decide to go to France, La Plagne is pretty decent as a beginner/intermediate resort.
 eltankos 11 Jul 2014
Hey,
I'd recommend a few lessons at a indoor snow centre/ dry slope in the UK first so you can get the basics down, then perhaps some "moving on" lessons on holiday (finances permitting of course).
I've only been to Bansko in bulgaria but that was fairly cheap, but lessons were good.
Disclaimer: I was boarding, but my mates who had ski lessons seemed to learn more than I did on the board lessons, no complaints about my lessons though, they were good.
As a resort it was fairly compact but good slopes for learners.
 ro8x 11 Jul 2014

Saalbach in Austria.
 jasonC abroad 11 Jul 2014

I went to Andorra, was fairly cheap at the time and good for a beginner, not sure you'll need private lessons.

Jason
Calski 11 Jul 2014

If you can afford private lessons, I'd highly recommend Alison Culshaw. Although based in Chamonix, a conversation with her may provide some non France options!

I spent a week on one of Alison's course this year and was hands down the best tuition I've ever had. As soon my kids are old enough to benefit from 1:1 lessons I'll be going back...

Calski
 Arcturus 13 Jul 2014

Buy this guide www.wheretoskiandsnowboard.com if you are thinking of taking up skiing it is invaluable.
Stick with the alps or Andorra they are nearer and better than North America. (Including Canada, whistler is very expensive for example).
I agree with the other suggestion on here ...get some lessons on an indoor snow slope in uk first so you can get full benefit from your alpine holiday
Depending on time of year you should try for a resort with nursery slopes at both low and higher altitude . Low is convenient but high is good if snow is short supply (and can give a better high mountain feel)
There are many great resorts in the alps but I do like Alpe d' huez for beginners .
All instructors are brilliant skiers but many are not so good at teaching. Personally I think if you can afford them individual lessons are better value after you have got the basics and have got the hang of snowplough.
Switzerland is noticeably more expensive than the other Alpine nations. Personally I would suggest you focus on France, Austria and Andorra .
If you do decide to go to Alpe d ' huez I can suggest a very good instructor who can take you from beginner all the way to some wild off-piste or race training when you are ready for it.
 Edradour 14 Jul 2014
In reply to Arcturus:

> Stick with the alps or Andorra they are nearer and better than North America. (Including Canada, whistler is very expensive for example).

Nearer yes but certainly not 'better', whatever you mean by that.

I have skied a lot in Canada and would have my piste holidays there every year if I could always go for 2 weeks. Very few lift lines (Whistler excepted), empty pistes, food and drink at reasonable prices and much more of a wilderness skiing experience than you'll get in the Alps. Certainly an option for the OP to consider if he is heading out for a 2 week 'learn to ski' holiday.

Flatus Vetus 15 Jul 2014

Thanks for the suggestions, I've got a good deal on a fortnight in Slovenia!
 d_b 24 Jul 2014

I did my first ski trip at La Thuile, in Italy. There are some very nice easy runs to get started on. High resort to, so reasonably reliable snow. It's connected to a french resort at the top but the vibe is v different.

Austria is v good too. My wife did very well out of the ski school at Fieberbrunn this year - zero to knocking on the door of reds in a week.
cajun climber 12 Aug 2014

Breckenridge Colorado, usa, great ski school, lots of terrain and a great town with a fun atmosphere. Also, close proximity to several other ski areas. If you go let me know I have a connection for decent flats to let.
altirando 13 Aug 2014

Does anyone now do the short ski way of learning? I think I started on 135m skis in France.
 LastBoyScout 13 Aug 2014
In reply to davidbeynon:

La Thuile is good, but the last run down to the resort is hard work at the end of the day if you're a novice - avoid by using the gondola.

My wife learnt at Sestriere, my sisters at Val Morel and I taught a friend at Les Houches/Chamonix

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...