UKC

Anyone else doing the Saunders this weekend?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tall Clare 11 Jul 2014
I appear to have been roped into doing the Saunders this weekend. Last time I did it was 9 years ago, when a friend and I scraped into next-to-last place in the walking class. This weekend's outing will once again be a walk rather than a run... and here's hoping for weather as nice as it's been here in Skipton this week.

Anyone else in UKCland doing it?
 Simon Caldwell 11 Jul 2014
In reply to Tall Clare:

We're doing it, Bowfell as usual. We seem to do worse every year, so maybe this is the year we'll finally achieve last place?

The forecast is looking a little damp, but the worst of the rain could be overnight
 shantaram 11 Jul 2014
In reply to Tall Clare:

Yep I'm doing it as a first mountain marathon. Very, very excited. Shame the weather looks a bit damp, but hopefully just from Sat evening to Sunday morning only. Been having minor food and kit dilemmas the last few days!
OP Tall Clare 13 Jul 2014

So how did you do Simon and Shantaram? I DNFed - I've had some pretty significant iron deficiency issues over the last few months which I thought were sorted but clearly not, as my legs might as well have been made of jam. Yesterday was roasting - by the time we got back to the registration tent quite a few people had already bailed, mostly due to heat issues it seemed.

Wonrek 13 Jul 2014
In reply to Tall Clare:

Sorry to hear that Clare. Had a couple of friends doing it. Apparently it was a good event.

Will you have another go?
OP Tall Clare 13 Jul 2014
In reply to Wonrek:

Probably... depends what next year brings!
 Simon Caldwell 13 Jul 2014
In reply to Tall Clare:

That was TOUGH! The hardest Saunders I can remember, though I expect I say that most years.
 shantaram 14 Jul 2014
In reply to Tall Clare:

Really sorry to hear you had to pull out early Clare. Hope you get back to full health soon. I really enjoyed the weekend although my body feels it today. We did the Kirkfell course and the first day was pretty tough with the hot sunny weather and a lot of traversing on tussocky ground. We were lucky to get away without any blisters. Being my first mountain marathon I was surprised at how little ground was runnable on the first day. Much preferred the second day of the weekend with cloudy but clear conditions and some great sections of runnable ground. The final ridge into Deepdale was a joy. I think I'll be doing some more of these events, although the OMM sounds like a potential sufferfest.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...