UKC

A Sunday in Hell

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 cousin nick 11 Jul 2014
Anyone else catch this classic film of the 1976 Paris-Roubaix on BBC4 last night?
Its on iPlayer if you missed it.

N
 Tall Clare 11 Jul 2014
In reply to cousin nick:

I saw it at an open air screening at Brimham Rocks last month, as part of the cultural festival accompanying the Yorkshire Grand Depart. Fantastic film.
 woolsack 11 Jul 2014
In reply to cousin nick:

Cheers, that's tonight's viewing sorted
 malk 11 Jul 2014
In reply to woolsack:

this also a must watch if you haven't seen it yet- 2 days left..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b048wqcc/storyville-20132014-30-velora...
 Martin W 11 Jul 2014
In reply to cousin nick: Was it actually shown last night? In iPlayer on my set-top box it says that on Thursday at 23:00 they were showing The Lance Armstrong Story again. Searching for the title doesn't find it, either.

It does come up if I search for the title on the desktop version but I'd rather watch it on the telly...
 Martin W 11 Jul 2014
In reply to Martin W: Hmm, iPlayer on my tablet doesn't list it either. Looks like I'm stuck watching it on my computer
 Martin W 13 Jul 2014
In reply to nrhardy: Thanks, those worked on the tablet - but weirdly the search function is finding it now too. And I've just discovered that it's now showing up on the set-top box as well! Why it should take longer to turn up on iPlayer on different devices I have no idea, but it definitely wasn't on either of them when I checked on Friday. Very odd.
 Chris the Tall 14 Jul 2014
In reply to cousin nick:

Thanks for posting, it was a film I've wanted to see for some time.

But as for being "hell", it looked lovely Sunday ride compared to the Kielder 100 !
OP cousin nick 15 Jul 2014
In reply to Chris the Tall:
> But as for being "hell", it looked lovely Sunday ride compared to the Kielder 100 !

Yeah, I thought the same! Nice day compared with the 2012 Cornwall Tor!

N
Post edited at 08:32
> (In reply to cousin nick)
>
> Thanks for posting, it was a film I've wanted to see for some time.
>
> But as for being "hell", it looked lovely Sunday ride compared to the Kielder 100 !

The dust in the lungs and the helmetless crashes evened things up a bit.
 Tall Clare 16 Jul 2014
In reply to DubyaJamesDubya:

And the section through the protesting workers.
In reply to Tall Clare:
> (In reply to DubyaJamesDubya)
>
> And the section through the protesting workers.

Yes you don't see much of that these days.
 Liam M 16 Jul 2014

The 'Hell' refers to the history of where the race occurs, as much as the event itself, though I'm sure you already knew that.

Still a very interesting piece of cinema. It also reminds me I must get around to watching the other classic from a similar era; 'Stars and Water Carriers'
Removed User 16 Jul 2014
In reply to nrhardy:

Thanks for the post, I enjoyed that, great to see films with Merckx and Thevenet and others on the cobbles.
 Chris the Tall 16 Jul 2014
In reply to Tall Clare:

They needed Hinault

http://inrng.com/medias/images/hinaultparisnice.jpg

http://inrng.com/2012/03/the-story-of-the-hinault-photo/

I believe that pic was up on the wall on the pub in Cragg Vale when he rode up it earlier this year - he was amused
 steveriley 17 Jul 2014
In reply to Liam M:

> Still a very interesting piece of cinema. It also reminds me I must get around to watching the other classic from a similar era; 'Stars and Water Carriers'

Oh good it's online. I've been staring at this VHS with no way of playing it youtube.com/watch?v=ZUIr9LG1juw&

'It's a murderous pace... to increase the pace now is surely impossible, inhuman ...for any other than Eddy Merckx'
 steveriley 17 Jul 2014
In reply to SteveRi:

Another one for you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGZGfRjKuFY#t=109 'Je Ne Peux Pas Comprendre Eddy'

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...