UKC

Everest at 50 guy starts a new venture!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 KaRun 11 Jul 2014
For those of you who followed Jeff Smith in his Everest at 50 experience, he has on his 51st birthday launched a new venture that I know some of you who I've already chatted to about this would love to get involved with.

I've written a bit about it here...

http://karabinerkaren.com/2014/07/11/bigmoose/
Removed User 11 Jul 2014
In reply to Karabiner Karen:

Jaysus wept - a bit too feel good for me but good luck.
OP KaRun 11 Jul 2014
In reply to Removed User:
Is there such a thing as 'a bit too feel good' ?! haha
Post edited at 12:03
 jonny taylor 11 Jul 2014

Still none the wiser as to what this actually does. Can you explain? I get that the intention is to "inspire people" in some way, but who actually does what as part of this venture?
 lowersharpnose 11 Jul 2014
In reply to jonny taylor:

I found that the random omission of capital letters interrupted the flow of waffle.
OP KaRun 11 Jul 2014
In reply to jonny taylor:

What I've written is a synopsis of my take on it, but the site explains more...

So for example there's a chance for people to climb Mount Elbrus, raising money for a charity of your choice and bigmoose can help you along the way
OP KaRun 11 Jul 2014
In reply to lowersharpnose:

Ah sorry you feel that way. .

The lack of capital letters in the quote is because bigmoose doesn't use them. If you read the Everest at 50 blog you'd understand.

However 'lowersharpnose' you have none in your name either.

That's ok though have an awesome day
 Mr Lopez 11 Jul 2014

So the new venture is to "do fun stuff"???
 timjones 11 Jul 2014

> For those of you who followed Jeff Smith in his Everest at 50 experience, he has on his 51st birthday launched a new venture that I know some of you who I've already chatted to about this would love to get involved with.

> I've written a bit about it here...

I'm a bit bemused by the Everest at 50 thing. Is Everest at 50 a special acievement? I really hope not, if it is the implication is that I'll be over the hill in 3 years time ;(
OP KaRun 11 Jul 2014
In reply to timjones:

if he's anything to go by, I can guarantee that 50 is not over the hill. Bit of a silver fox actually.. I just think he wanted to raise money for the teenage cancer trust and thought he'd do Everest.. at 50 Sounds a bit better than 'Everest at 49' ha.
abseil 11 Jul 2014

Hi Karen,

Thanks for posting. I've seen several Everest sponsorship for charity sites and I have a question for those asking for sponsorship - are you using the sponsorship money to pay for your own trip? Or does all the sponsorship money go to the charity (that is, are you paying for your climb yourself, with money you earned yourself)?

I'm not getting at you at all Karen, I'm just asking!

Thanks again, I enjoy your posts and hope you keep posting.
 gdnknf 11 Jul 2014
In reply to timjones:

> I'm a bit bemused by the Everest at 50 thing. Is Everest at 50 a special acievement? I really hope not, if it is the implication is that I'll be over the hill in 3 years time ;(

I would imagine that climbing Everest at 50 years old is more likely than at my age with it being £20,000+ to get up there. That's more than a years salary for me so I won't be going any time soon.

I don't think I could justify using an experience which costs over twenty grand to raise money for charity personally.

P.s. Haven't read about the Everest at 50 bloke. Just expressing an opinion.
 timjones 11 Jul 2014
In reply to gdnknf:

> I would imagine that climbing Everest at 50 years old is more likely than at my age with it being £20,000+ to get up there. That's more than a years salary for me so I won't be going any time soon.

> I don't think I could justify using an experience which costs over twenty grand to raise money for charity personally.

I would have to confess that the money would stop me regardless of my age

I'm always a little suspicious of this sort of fundraiser unless it is absolutely clear that the participant pays their own way and all donations go to charity.
OP KaRun 11 Jul 2014
In reply to abseil:

Hi

The Everest at Fifty trip was in April and I wasn't involved in that. The next one to Mount Elbrus requires 10 people to raise 10k each for a charity of their choice. I don't know the rest of the details re: money but happy to find out for you?

And thanks about the post compliment Ha!
OP KaRun 11 Jul 2014
In reply to gdnknf:

www.everestatfifty.co.uk/sponsors

He had a few businesses behind him sponsoring in many ways including financial. Hope this answers your question
abseil 12 Jul 2014

> The Everest at Fifty trip was in April and I wasn't involved in that. The next one to Mount Elbrus requires 10 people to raise 10k each for a charity of their choice. I don't know the rest of the details re: money but happy to find out for you?

Thanks a lot for your reply. Also that's kind of you to offer to find out for me but there's no need, I was just wondering/ pondering like others do!

Everest at 50 cor I've only got enough energy left to make my evening toast and Ribena...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...