UKC

Film of Ron Fawcett soloing Darius anyone?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jon_gill1 11 Jul 2014
Hello all, having just climbed Darius I was reminded that Ron Fawcett soloed it for television and then again because they needed more footage. wondered if anyone could point me in the direction of where to find the footage?

thanks in advance

Jon
 wilkie14c 11 Jul 2014
In reply to jon_gill1:

Do you remember what programme it was Jon? I've a couple of dvds that have been transferred from VHS TV recordings of big ron
OP jon_gill1 11 Jul 2014
In reply to wilkie14c:

i'm afraid not as I would have been quite young at the time. I think it mentions it in his book so perhaps I can find it in that.
OP jon_gill1 11 Jul 2014
In reply to wilkie14c:

I have just read the section of rock athlete that mentions it and it says the programme was called 'Live at two' for ITV.
 Doug 11 Jul 2014
In reply to jon_gill1:

Not sure of the programme but think Al Evans was the cameraman - try emailing him.
OP jon_gill1 11 Jul 2014
In reply to Doug:

Cheers Doug, have sent him a mail.
 wilkie14c 11 Jul 2014
In reply to jon_gill1:

Yes that's a good idea, I don't recalling having the programme you mention, I have the cromlech and strawberries one
OP jon_gill1 11 Jul 2014
In reply to wilkie14c:

ah ok thanks for checking though!I hope I get a hold of it somehow, will make for interesting viewing.
 petegunn 11 Jul 2014
 FactorXXX 11 Jul 2014
In reply to jon_gill1:

Haven't got a link to Ron on Darius, but this is pretty good: -

youtube.com/watch?v=EwAgHdyWluE&

(tempting though it was, it isn't Dan Osman!)
 Al Evans 12 Jul 2014
In reply to jon_gill1:

Apart from what I told you in the e-mail one of the most scary things I did that day was to place the ariel for the radio mike so that Ron could talk to the presenter (and hear)in the Manchester studios live while we were on air.
I don't know if it's still there but there used to be a small tree growing horizontally out from the top near Darius. To get 'line of sight' for the radio mike I had to crawl out along the branch and place the ariel as far out as we could get it. Now that was exposed .
Amazingly that day we encountered no technical problems despite all the potential hazards (not least Ron falling off, unlikely). This was a bit of a pioneering effort and the cameras had to be connected by cables to the scanner at the top of the crag, no radio links for visuals in those days, riggers took in the cables as we climbed and videoed.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...