UKC

Zoom issues, Nikon 18-75mm

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Howdy,

I've recently started to experience an issue with the zoom on my Nikon lense. It's the fairly standard 18-75mm lense. It zooms fine to 55mm, but then sticks, I usually have to hold the camera with the lense pointing to the floor bfroe rolling it out to 75mm.

I figure its a small bit of sand or grit that is getting stuck, and was weondering how easy/hard it is to take the lense apart to give it a thorough clean?

Is it even worth trying?

I'm a camera noob, but fairly handy with electronics generally.

Thanks
Steve
 Bob 11 Jul 2014
In reply to I'd rather be climbing:

Send the lens to Nikon.
Dorq 11 Jul 2014

I think if it was sand/grit then you would be able to zoom past it with a crunch. Sounds like something metal or hard plastic in the gearing. I persist with focussing helicoids until the grit moves somewhere else inside the lens and anything that slips past the sealing is only going to rattle around until it sticks to some grease anyway and not be a problem.

Taking it apart will probably leave you with an expensive paper weight and perhaps a shock at how badly made the lens is, depending on the price range of course.

If you don't want to send it in, just use it as you say and the problem might go away on its own.
 Cobbler 12 Jul 2014

About 6 months ago my camera (on a tripod) blew over and the (Nikon 18-55)lens hit the concrete first. Filter holder smashed saving the lens a bit. The zoom action was jamming but I've kept using it and now it's a bit crunchy but lens works perfectly well.

So not all doom and gloom then, thanks guys, will just keep with it, until I can afford an upgraded lense
Dorq 12 Jul 2014
In reply to Cobbler:

I dropped an 18-35 on the road a few years back and the lens hood took most of the impact. There is a split in the front plastic and the hood wobbles but seems to work fine (though my photos, it might not matter!).

That is why I think the new Sigma Art lenses have a plastic hood - they can act like airbags.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...