UKC

What 160mm Travel Alpine MTB?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 balmybaldwin 11 Jul 2014

Sorry, another what bike thread.

I currently ride a Lapierre X-flow (120mm) that I love, however I'm finding I'm riding bigger and bigger stuff at the moment, and I whilst I have adapted the x-flow with bigger tyres which has helped a lot, the fact is it's an xc rocket, not a alpine enduro machine and it really needed a couple more inches of travel and a slacker front end.

I'm not looking to get rid of my old bike, but want something to complement it that I can ride down big drops,steep rooty sections and rocky stuff in the alps and then put the x-flow back to a superlight xc bike. I don't want a full-on downhill bike, as I want to be able to ride trails on it rather than push it up everything, but I want something that will take some big-ish hits.

(Oh, and I would quite like a bike that didn't require constant tlc to keep running well)

I have a preference for Shimano, and hate avid brakes. Think I want to go 650b.

So what should I go and ride? what do you ride? what other bikes should I look at and why?

Bikes I'm considering:
Canyon Strive CF (This looks great but none available until December)
Orange Alpine 160 650b
Mondraker Dune RR
Maybe a Santa Cruz

Maybe a self build but on what frame?

Budget £3-4k
Post edited at 21:51
 itsThere 11 Jul 2014
In reply to balmybaldwin:

Add yt Carpa to the list. Avoids are oem on loads of bikes, budget in something else.

There was a review of the carpa in last month's mbuk, they said why spend 2k more on a lesser bike.

I have a dh bike in the post with avids and a set of shimano zee waiting. Isn't much else you can do.
OP balmybaldwin 11 Jul 2014
In reply to itsThere:

Thanks, That does look like a lot of bike for the money... any uk stockist where I can try one that you know of?
 itsThere 11 Jul 2014
Nope, same deal as canyon. I think there is/was a waiting list for it.

End of September waiting time
Post edited at 22:22
 Alun 11 Jul 2014
Spesh Enduro obviously. SC Nomad. White 146, less travel but probably the ultimate all-round bike right now.

If you're used to the rocker of your Lapierre then the swingarm design of the Orange will come as a shock (hah!), it moves very differently.

Rockshox are in the lead these days for forks IMO (I say this as a diehard Marzocchi fan since my first 98 Z1 BAMs). My Totem is flawless in every respect. Maybe a Lyrik is better for your travel requirements.

XT discs, 203 front, 180 rear. The difference between 203 and 180 is very noticable on 20min alpine descents.

Saint cranks. XT for everything else (naturally).

Stick on some High Rollers on some AM rims and you've got the perfect alpine bike. You lucky bastard.

edit: FWIW my alpine bike is a rather battered Kona Stinky with Totems and full XT. It's heavy but it never breaks, gets me out of trouble most of the time, and I love it to bits. If the frame snapped tomorrow, and money were no object, I'd replace it with a carbon Enduro.
Post edited at 22:29
 ChrisJD 12 Jul 2014

Its a tough choice at the moment - so many good bikes out there.

The 650B long travel AM bikes I would look at are (ignoring your budget):

SC Nomad
Kona Process 153
Pivot Mach 6
Commencal Meta AM

Also read this lot:
http://reviews.mtbr.com/category/enduro-compare-o-2014

And this:
http://www.pinkbike.com/news/santa-cruz-nomad-review-2014.html

And this rear shock:
https://www.canecreek.com/products/suspension/dbair-cs
 Bob Hughes 12 Jul 2014

Interesting that no-one's mentioning the Spicy. Have they gone out of fashion? I'm a bit out of the loop
OP balmybaldwin 12 Jul 2014
In reply to ChrisJD:

Thanks all for the suggestions... I'm going to look at a few today I think.

Pivot Mach 6 looks good, but a little over budget.
Same with the Bronson

DO Santa Cruz bikes do end of season sales? i.e. if I wait a few months will I be able to pick one up for 30% less?
 LaMentalist 12 Jul 2014

May I suggest one of these ;

http://www.cube.eu/en/bikes/fullsuspension/stereo/stereo-160-super-hpc-slt-...

but also concur on the YT mentioned above , they are exceptional value for money indeed .
 ChrisJD 12 Jul 2014

You can get really good deals on Commencal Frames from Chain Reaction (make sure its the 650B version). I wouldn't buy an off the shelf complete Commencal though - build one up your self. There are late 2014 Meta AM variants that can take piggy back rear shocks - so check that as well.
 ChrisJD 12 Jul 2014

> Pivot Mach 6 looks good, but a little over budget.

My mate test rode one and said it was awesome (he's on an old SC Heckler at moment).

I test rode a Bronson C last year - it was OK but didn't blow me away. But the Nomad 2014 looks more my cup of tea....

Another mate has the Kona Process 153 and seems to loves it (but everyone does with their new bike !?). But they are as rare as rocking horse ****.

Good luck - its a tough choice! Get some test rides in..

Also look at X-fusion front shocks. The 170mm Vengaence looks a good big travel choice.
 ChrisJD 12 Jul 2014

... and when you get sorted - come up to Peak and we'll ride some local Cheeky (off-Peak times of course).
OP balmybaldwin 12 Jul 2014

Well, I've booked a test ride on a Bronson... and sat on one - didn't overly impress in the shop, but maybe different on the trail - seemed heavy for the money, but I like the idea of life-time warranty on the bearings, threaded bb shell etc

Also held a Pivot frame that just happened to be in the store room at the lbs. this was very nice and solid looking... just got to wait for them to build it up so I can have a go!

I think I'm leaning towards a self build atm
 itsThere 12 Jul 2014

Get a cane creek rear shock, once they are set right there is nothing better. It's insanely good, only thing close is bos. Have a look at the banshee rune too.
 ChrisJD 12 Jul 2014

Pedal strike with these low BB 650B bikes can be an issue (notice it a lot on my Meta Hardtail) - some riders going for 170mm cranks.

And also have a look at 1x11 or 1x10 - losing the front derailleur is great, no more dropped chains.

The Cane Creek DBair-CS is the shock to go for. Wheels - have a look at Stans Flow EX on Hope Hoops.

Looks like your bike is built!

(I didn't think much of the Bronson C after my test ride last year.)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...