UKC

Tough routes on which you've seen or taken dogs?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
I saw a guy sauntering along the Crib Goch arête about twenty years ago with a Springer Spaniel happily leading the way ahead of him.

I don't know if they started up the East Ridge, which has a decidedly cruxy bad step, or the easier North Ridge.

Where else have people spotted or taken hounds?
 John Kelly 12 Jul 2014
In reply to Dispater:

jacks rake, pretty regularly
climbers travers bowfell winter - dog leaping between post holds and pushing past on inside
 Wainers44 12 Jul 2014
In reply to Dispater:

Crib Goch also, a lab I think. Dog looked much happier than owner. Saw four"lost" foxhounds on West Wall Traverse Scafell who appeared out of the mist rather suddenly.

Only one I saw having real problems was on the zigzags on Ben Nevis. Chap had his big husky type dog with him and the dog had totally wrecked his paws on the stony path. We noticed first by the impressive trail of blood he was leaving!

Over the next 4 hours we took it in turns to carry the dog all the way down. Lovely dog, didn't struggle once and due to his size the easiest way to carry him was on your shoulders!
 Goucho 12 Jul 2014
In reply to Dispater:

Once saw a Collie solo 3PS, but I don't think it was onsight?
 Albert Tatlock 12 Jul 2014
In reply to Goucho:

Was it using chalk ?
 Dom Whillans 12 Jul 2014
In reply to Dispater:

I took my springer on crib goch last summer... he loved it, though he did need the occasional point of aid to get up the vertical steps. (ruffwear harnesses are perfect for this!)
 Mountain Lass 12 Jul 2014
In reply to Dispater:

I took mine up striding edge - you can get doggie harnesses which help.

She also runs across round cattle grids better than I can.

ml
 Goucho 12 Jul 2014
In reply to Albert Tatlock:

> Was it using chalk ?

Pedigree Chum - left a right mess for the next person.

Saw it later on doing Heartless Hare - but it used side runners on an extended lead.
 Only a hill 12 Jul 2014
In reply to Dispater:

I think the hardest route I've seen a dog climbing was North Buttress on Buachaille Etive Mor.

In fairness, they were taking the easy variation, but the owner was still having to do a fair bit of lifting / hauling.
In reply to Dom Whillans:

Did you start up the East Ridge?
I can think of one spot where you'd have to give a dog a leg up, as it were.
In reply to Goucho:

> Once saw a Collie solo 3PS, but I don't think it was onsight?

That's impressive. Most dogs would have gone on lead.
 Aigen 12 Jul 2014
In reply to Dispater:

I took my spaniel on point five gully.
 ewar woowar 12 Jul 2014
In reply to Dispater:

Hope on Idwal Slabs.
Well the first pitch and a half, until we sent her down again.

Several of the routes on the Central slab on Carnedd Y Filiast.
Wulfrunian 12 Jul 2014
In reply to Dispater:

A year or so ago I was on Senior's Ridge up the Glyders. I watched in awe as a bloke scaled the Cneifion arete in around 10 minutes flat, while his collie zig-zagged up ledges to his immediate left, requiring just the odd 'shoving up onto a ledge' move here and there. Most impressive
 james mann 12 Jul 2014
In reply to Dispater:

Betsy our collie lab cross has done n ridge of Tryfan and bristly ridge and round of glyders, Crib goch and various other bigish days walking. She also makes it easily to any crag we visit and often runs round to greet me at the top even at places like bosigran. Ruff wear harnesses are fantastic for days like this.
 Flinticus 12 Jul 2014
In reply to Dispater:

Ben Cruachan with descent down big slabs & steep rock when I took wrong direction (being lazy, didn't check map).

One of the Arran summits required two mini- abseils with Flint in ruff wear harness.

Toughest though were non-technical in bad weather. Carn Liath in about -20.
 Tim Sparrow 12 Jul 2014
In reply to Dispater:

Got my old spaniel collie x up Llechog Buttress once. Grade 2/3? Impressive on the crux slab - he just ran at it and peddled and scraped to the top - then looked down at us with a seemingly mighty pleased and superior look.
 petegunn 12 Jul 2014
In reply to Dispater:

A Springer Spaniel on Pinnacle Ridge, St.Sunday crag, though he did have a harness for some sections where a quick lift was necessary.
The most terrifying sight, a Collie 2 or 3 pitches up the Etive Slabs with the owner shouting for it to go back down, which luckily it did.
Moley 13 Jul 2014
In reply to Dispater:

When my mate did his Paddy Buckley round his dog Smudge (a very mixed breed!) came with him from the start at Aberglaslyn as far as Ogwen, her paws were getting bad then. As he went of up Penyrolwen she howled and howled to carry on with him.
 fmck 13 Jul 2014
In reply to Dispater:
Not quite climbing up but my mates dog jumped off the top of a 18m crag when he chucked the ropes off for top ropes. He survived taking a bounce off a ledge on the way down but was in a bit of a state. Funnily enough the dogs name was diver!
 Stevie989 13 Jul 2014
In reply to fmck:

Lucky wee bugger.

I took my pointer up the cobbler but even that made me a wee bit edgy as he just belts about everywhere.

No curved ridge for him!
 Steve Perry 13 Jul 2014
In reply to Dispater:

I down climbed Curved Ridge with my Border Collie though the excitement was so much for her and she nearly knocked me off. I also had a Border Lakeland that onsighted Bristly Ridge, she also loved laybacks.
 ARK 14 Jul 2014
In reply to Dispater:

My spanners follow me everywhere and just need a bit of guidance on more technical sections.

Swirral and Striding edges in spot on winter conditions...

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/b-KPIe5Q1bblBmuoZ8rt89MTjNZETYmyPJy0l...

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/8ug4BaoXlsRFaAGI2wC0AdMTjNZETYmyPJy0l...
 Wesley Orvis 14 Jul 2014
In reply to Dispater:
50% of the routes in my log book have been done with my mates Border Collie in tow. Although the hardest was probably in winter and was Skew Gill/Central Gully Great End and Pinnacle Ridge St Sunday Crag, threading the needle in summer was pretty hard as trying to get the dog to go down the other side from above wasnt too easy, oh and getting him around the traverse pinnacle on Milestone Buttress Approach was also a memorable experience.

https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?v=10202090627163973&set=vb.1136236859...

Dog scrambling video
Post edited at 10:10
 Offwidth 14 Jul 2014
In reply to Wesley Orvis:

Rescued a dog and its owner from a snow gully on Dow once; the idiot was completely unapologetic and initially very reluctant to accept the help he clearly needed so we loudly hummed the Thunderbirds theme when he finally accepted he was stuck. The dog was clearly traumatised. I wasn't very impressed. Some dogs seem to enjoy scrambles but bad owners, as ever, let the good ones down.
 Wesley Orvis 14 Jul 2014
In reply to Dispater:
https://www.facebook.com/wesley.orvis/media_set?set=a.4718901567263.1073741833.1136236859&type=3#!/photo.php?fbid=4718934648090&set=a.4718901567263.1073741833.1136236859&type=3&theater

Here's one of him coming over the cornice in Cust's Gully
Post edited at 16:57
 Wesley Orvis 14 Jul 2014
In reply to Offwidth:

True, if someone goes round and takes the dog and he misses the scrambling out he yaps and yelps and gets really annoyed.
 Trangia 14 Jul 2014
In reply to Dispater:

My mate was about 30 ft up Flying Buttress when his dog Fang, a fox terrier, decided to follow him up. The dog got to within a few feet of him when he fell and decked.

Apart from a few bruises and a bit of a limp, Fang was fine and proclaimed fit after a vet's inspection.
 Mike-W-99 14 Jul 2014
In reply to Dispater:

I saw one on a ferrata a few years ago. Dog wasn't desperately impressed with this experience.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...