UKC

Tech help pls: tv > HDD recorder_connection/recording problems

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Fraser 12 Jul 2014
I recently plunged into the smart tv world and bought a Sony Bravia tv. However, I'm have problems recording from it onto my fairly long-in-the-tooth Panasonic HDD recorder. The connection set up is as follows:

- aerial is connected to back of HDD

- SCART cable from AV1 port on HDD going into AV1 port on back of tv

- if tv is on, I hit record on HDD remote and it records the channel I'm watching. Recording works fine.

- when tv is off, I preset to record from input AV1 but the recording is totally blank.

The options when setting the recorder are AV1-AV4, 1 BBC1, 2 BBC2, 3 ITV, 4_CH 5, 5 *TE E. So far, I've tried it on AV1, 1 BBC1 and 5 *TE E, all of which result in a blank recording. When I have to set it to record, I use the tv remote to switch to view AV1, so I can see the programming/recording options. Once it's set, I switch back to 'tv' setting on the remote so I can view the tv. I've also tried leaving the tv set to display AV1 after setting teh recorder, but still get a blank recorder if the tv is switched off.

Can anyone suggest why the recorder works fine if the tv is on, but when it's off I get nothing? If it helps at all to the analysis, before I got the new tv, I used a cheapo digibox and everything worked fine in terms of recording with the tv switched off.

Can anyone offer any help please? Unfortunately I don't know any 10 year olds who could probably resolve the issue in a matter of seconds.
 itsThere 12 Jul 2014
In reply to Fraser:

Try unplugging the tv and record
OP Fraser 12 Jul 2014
In reply to itsThere:

Not quite sure if I've understood your suggestion correctly. I started a recording and then disconnected the SCART cable in mid-recording. The image on the recording stopped when I removed the cable.
OP Fraser 12 Jul 2014
In reply to Fraser:

Just realised that with the tv off, there's no signal getting to the recorder to record! (recorder has no in-built receiver) Previously, the digibox would still have been sending the signal, even with the tv switched off. So it's adding in the old digibox to the system, or getting a new recording device with its own receiver.
5tormin' 12 Jul 2014
In reply to Fraser:

Have you got HDMI connection on your recorder?
OP Fraser 12 Jul 2014
In reply to 5tormin':

Nope, I'm afraid not. Just Scart, Component, S-video.

Thinking about it more nd despite my suspicions above, I'd have expected the tv's receiver to still be working as long as the tv wasn't switched off at the wall, so it would send the signal to the recorder.
 Luke90 12 Jul 2014
In reply to Fraser:

I'm pretty sure you'll need the TV to be on for it to send a picture to the HDD recorder. The TV's likely to have a timer so that you can set it to come on automatically for a certain program. You can probably access it through the channel guide.
OP Fraser 12 Jul 2014
In reply to Luke90:

Yes, that would maybe be a workaround, but it seems a bit primitive in this day and age. I'll have a look and see if I can find anything, thanks for the suggestion.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...