UKC

Gearing for the hills

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 hcaw 13 Jul 2014
I'm considering changing my gearing for a tour I'm doing next month. Currently I'm running a 12-27 9 speed cassette and a 50/34 compact chainset (all Sora). I'm reluctant to change to a triple as I'd need to get different shifters (adding to expense), so I thought I'd go for a change of rear cassette down to a 11-34 or 11-32 (9 speed).

Does anyone know if it would make much of a difference if I changed the cassette, or would I be best off getting a triple and splashing out on new shifters?
 The RigPig 13 Jul 2014
In reply to hcaw:

I run an 11-28 (11 speed campag Athena) on a compact 50-34. I find that gets me up anything, if you're expecting something seriously steep then 11-32 should be fine. I wouldn't bother with a triple.
OP hcaw 13 Jul 2014
In reply to The RigPig:

I'm okay up the hills at the moment but I'll be doing a lot more climbing in France and with the rack & extra luggage I don't want to have to to end up walking up them. Apart from changing the rear derailer, would I need to change anything else if I got a 11-32 cassette?
 mattbell 13 Jul 2014
In reply to hcaw:

longer chain
 Howardw1968 13 Jul 2014
In reply to hcaw:

I would go with the 11-32. adding a triple to the front will mainly add overlapping gears rather than add extra at the low end which is where you will need it.

I might see if I could get a smaller ring than the 34 but wouldn't worry too much

I run a 44 front on a rohloff so probably can't offer a great comparison
Removed User 13 Jul 2014
In reply to hcaw:

If this is for the SW France trip then a 28t will be ok as there aren't any Yorkshire style climbs. I'd go 32 or 34 if you are carrying luggage though.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...