UKC

Advanced Compacts

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Pyreneenemec 14 Jul 2014
I've had my Panasonic DMC TZ5 for a few years and am very pleased with the results it gives. However, I would like to take my mountain photography a little further, but without encumbering myself with a big DSLR, I simply cannot carry a heavy pack.

I guess I'm after a compact with comprehensive manual options including RAW.
Any recommendations ? Preferably from first-hand experience.
 Bob 14 Jul 2014
 Stevie989 14 Jul 2014
In reply to Bob:

whats the equivalent filed of few on the G10 in 35mm terms?
 Bob 14 Jul 2014
In reply to Stevie989:

Just checked DPReview (I couldn't remember) - it's 28-140mm equivalent.
moffatross 14 Jul 2014
In reply to Pyreneenemec:

The very well-rated Panasonic LX7's are available new from around £180 on ebay. Fast lens throughout zoom range f/1.4-2.3 and super wide too (24-90mm FF equivalent).

Mine hasn't arrived yet but if it's a good evolution of the LX2 that I used from 2006-2013 then it'll be a gem. Or you could buy my Canon S110 which will go ebay when it arrives (although I don't rate it much).

You could splash out on the RX100 (III). Great compact camera by all accounts with a nice EVF and a 1 inch sensor but the sting in the tail is its £700 price.

But how compact do you want ? Much more versatile are mirrorless system cameras and with pancake type zoom 'kit' lenses they are pretty compact too. I have taken my NEX 7 with a 1650 zoom, just stuffed in jacket pocket on hiking, skiing, climbing type trips ...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/88898381@N02/sets/72157645495054165/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/88898381@N02/sets/72157644413994604/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/88898381@N02/sets/72157644492971971/
 Stone Idle 14 Jul 2014
In reply to moffatross:

Nice shots youth - and agree about using a basic camera unless you want huge enlargements.
 malk 14 Jul 2014
In reply to moffatross:

how about the a5000/6000? the 5000 can be had for 330 or less..
 malk 14 Jul 2014
In reply to Bob:

> I've the Canon G10 which pretty well ticks your boxes. I think the series is up to G16 or similar now.

they've returned to 1- the G1X with a larger sensor- rather late in the day..
as have nikon with the 1 v3

moffatross 14 Jul 2014
In reply to Stone Idol:

Thanks. Although my 20 year old lad thinks I'm an 'old git'. :P
moffatross 14 Jul 2014
In reply to malk:

The A3000 is the bargain of the day amongst the mirrorless cameras if you can live with a dodgy screen and a low quality EVF. It's supposed to be a great camera though and its RAW and jpeg images are said to be outstanding. For £199 you get a 20MP APS-C sensor, and an OSS stabilised kit zoom lens too ...

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/1394337.htm
 IM 14 Jul 2014

Ricoh GR. Fantastic image quality. Aps-c sized sensor in a small but beautifully made body. Brilliant low light/high iso capability and superb 28mm lens. No zoom though.
OP Pyreneenemec 15 Jul 2014
In reply to mac fae stirling & al :

Thanks for your interesting input.

Nutkey 15 Jul 2014
In reply to moffatross:

A second for the RX100. We've got version 1, which we use most of the time, in preference to lugging a Canon 50D around. We wouldn't even consider lugging the SLR uphill now unless we were going to bother taking the tripod too. It's great. Noisier, but you can't tell at normal print sizes.
 malk 15 Jul 2014

you can do some pixel peeping here..
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony-alpha-a6000/12

mikehike 15 Jul 2014

Ive an LX7 with EVF (viewfinder) very versatile camera.
Oly E-410 DSLR full complement of lenses old hat now.

I take to the hills a Sigma DP2 Merrill, fixed lens matched to the sensor very fine IQ. I fully appreciated its well noted foibles before purchase, so far I am very happy. I use this with a jobby tripod.

I recently purchased an Olympus Trip 35mm Film camera, the sense of freedom this gives surprised me. No battery, no need to switch on, just zone focus and shoot.

Im definitely a convert to fixed focal length.

http://500px.com/IMAGENT
OP Pyreneenemec 15 Jul 2014
In reply to mikehike:

There's a couple of nostalgic photos in my gallery taken with an Olympus Trip. It took amazingly good photos with minimum fuss.
I used a Rollei 35 SE for over 30 years, again a few examples in my gallery. I must get round to scanning more of my slides.
 Blue Straggler 15 Jul 2014
> There's a couple of nostalgic photos in my gallery taken with an Olympus Trip. It took amazingly good photos with minimum fuss.

If you want even less fuss, something like an Olympus Pen EE3 is the way forward. No focusing. Just make sure the subject is beyond a minimum distance away. The DoF of the 28mm lens and whatever the aperture decides to do, should get things into focus. And it is way dinkier than the Trip

(remind me, does the Trip stick its tongue out at you if you try to take a picture that it can't create the right exposure for? I find that to be the cutest thing that Olympus ever did )
Post edited at 23:11
 mikehike 16 Jul 2014
In reply to Blue Straggler:

Yes it does blow a raspberry, when you try to shoot in low light.
Cheers for the heads up on the PEN EE3, that is now on my list for another camera ;-/
 Blue Straggler 16 Jul 2014
In reply to mikehike:

> Yes it does blow a raspberry, when you try to shoot in low light.

Great stuff (think it is the same in too-bright light too). Weirdly I never got on with my Trip but loved the more fiddly RC35 (sadly inoperable now) and the even-simpler EE3

> Cheers for the heads up on the PEN EE3, that is now on my list for another camera ;-/

Hey I am not specifically saying that's THE one to get, it's just the one I picked up cheap somewhere or other. There may be nicer or "cooler" ones in the old PEN range. It's just the "concept" I liked - you can't get any more "point and shoot" than this sort of thing. I'll make do with just the one though.

Sorry to the OP for the total thread hijack! FWIW I was thinking along the lines of a CSC for you but I've not got enough experience to make useful comparisons; I like my new NEX F3 but as it lacks an EVF it would not be a sensible first choice for you (I got it cos it was cheap )

ChrisBrooke 16 Jul 2014

I've been using a NEX-6 with results such as: https://www.flickr.com/photos/105585253@N07/
The A6000 is the replacement so I imagine it'll be a pretty fine camera, though I can only talk about the NEX-6 from experience. It's small and light enough to take up a route (even with the kit zoom lens rather than a pancake.) That said, it's not nearly small enough to go in a jacket pocket. So, it's either in a tight case on the harness, or in the rucksack.
 malk 16 Jul 2014
In reply to Blue Straggler:

the NEX F3 eh?. so confusing all these models. is that the one before the a5000?
can you use your old glass with these systems?
In reply to ChrisBrooke:

> . So, it's either in a tight case on the harness, or in the rucksack.

What case do you use for your NEX 6 with kit lens on a harness?

In reply to malk:

> the NEX F3 eh?. so confusing all these models. is that the one before the a5000?

I don;t know, it is second hand and about 2 years old. I think NEX 5 and NEX 6 came after or were they superior contemporaries??!
Here's the thread where I settled on it
http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=589055

> can you use your old glass with these systems?

Yes and happily, that is what I wanted from them (again see thread linked here)
 petestack 18 Jul 2014

I've just got the Panasonic GM1 with 12–32mm (24–64mm equivalent) lens. Might have considered the Sony RX100 III (the new model) if I hadn't already got two Micro Four Thirds cameras (G2, GF2) and several lenses (14–45*, 45–200, 14mm prime), but also just really like Panasonic cameras. So thought I might get just the new lens (12–32) for my GF2, which has hitherto been my 'climbing/running' camera with the 14mm prime, but then decided to go the whole hog for the new tiny body as well. First trip on the hill today (only got it yesterday), but can already say it's just what I needed! No idea whether it attracts you as a standalone compact, but think I'd still have been tempted regardless, so maybe worth a look?

*Yes, I sold the kit 14–42 after testing alongside the older/better/sharper 14–45 (G1 kit lens).
 Adam Lincoln 18 Jul 2014
I have my fujfilmx10 for sale here if its of interest to anyone.

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=592631&v=1#x7825557
 stp 12 Aug 2014

If you want DSLR quality then the key thing is the sensor size. That's not the amount of mega-pixels but the physical size of the sensor. On most small cameras the size is pretty small so the quality can never be that good.

However cameras referred to as mirrorless have sensors the same size DSLRs or, in the case of micro-four thirds, just a little smaller. The bigger sensor requires more expensive lens so the whole set up is likely to be far more expensive than cameras with smaller sensors.

However the quality is now so good that some professional photographers are choosing mirrorless instead of DSLRs. And the size can be about the same as a normal compact camera, though it'll depend which lens you are using at the time.

Like DSLRs you want to think about which system you'll use rather than a specific camera. You might well change the body in some years time but, like DSLRs the biggest investment are the lenses.

Most of these cameras have pretty comprehensive manual settings and will shoot in RAW. I've got a Panasonic LUmix G3 which was about £350 including a kit zoom lens. I chose that because it has pretty wide bracketing setting which I wanted to try HDR photography. Panasonic share the same lens mount as Olympus so you can use lens from either manufacture plus some third party manufacturers too.

There are more and more options all the time.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...