UKC

Gift for baby hillwalker?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 drolex 15 Jul 2014

Hi all,

I am desperately in need of inspiration for a gift for a christening. The baby will be my goddaughter and the parents are close outdoorsy friends. Long story short, it has to be:
- hillwalking related
- baby (now 6 months) related

In a similar situation they had offered me a baby carrier. But they already own one and I am afraid I can't match that. Walking poles are my current contenders but that sounds a bit lame to me.

Any idea?

Edit: I know! A very tiny ice axe with little bears on it! Or adorable minuscule pink crampons! Hmmm, no.
Post edited at 10:00
 Nick Harvey 15 Jul 2014
We got given a tiny Patagonia down jacket for a six month old. It¡¦s pretty cool. Was scared to let her dribble on it mind, and you need to time the size with season, and it probably won¡¦t fit for terrible long ¡V but then not much will, unless you but something for when she is much older.
 Ramblin dave 15 Jul 2014
In reply to drolex:

LittleLife make some super cute animal-themed mini backpacks.
 Nutkey 15 Jul 2014
In reply to drolex:

Merino base layer.
In reply to drolex:

A map case / changing mat.
Small, red, woollen socks.
Goretex nappy.
Kendal Mint Cake. Possibly in liquid form for bottle feeding.
rackandruin 15 Jul 2014
In reply to drolex: Its your God Daughter. Buy her something decent that SHE might appreciate when she grows up a bit. Why does it have to be walking related? It shouldnt be about seeing who has the best gimmick to amuse the parents/ yourself. And definitely not walking poles!

galpinos 15 Jul 2014
In reply to drolex:

How about one of thos Darwin fish with the feet to put on her pram?
OP drolex 15 Jul 2014
In reply to rackandruin:
My daughter and I had the best moments together walking in the mountains, well at least, I was walking in the mountains and she was happily kicking me to progress faster. My father did the same with me and I think it helped me to get accustomed to the mountains (besides spending excellent time with him). Walking outdoors is a big part of my life now, partly thanks to these experiences. I hope my daughter will have the same love for the mountains.

I seriously think something walking related would be more than decent.
Post edited at 10:50
OP drolex 15 Jul 2014
In reply to drolex:

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I should be able to find something.
Defo looking for a goretex nappy now (not sure which way the membranes have to be oriented)
rackandruin 15 Jul 2014
In reply to drolex: Your God Daughter will grow up -Will she remember/appreciate more when shes 13+, some red wooly socks or a silver necklace?
Good luck with it either way.

Little Brew 15 Jul 2014
In reply to drolex:

How about something like an outdoor themed Necklace, or a star projector? out door themed but ageless?
 galpinos 15 Jul 2014
In reply to rackandruin:
> (In reply to drolex) Your God Daughter will grow up -Will she remember/appreciate more when shes 13+, some red wooly socks or a silver necklace?
> Good luck with it either way.

What will she remember most, a lifetime of memeories of being out in the ciountryside with her parents, or some token silver necklace that has no personal meaning bar the fact someone bought it?

I get a rush of happy memories seeing my mum pottering about in the garden in an old pair of my walking torusers (hideous Calange things that I made her buy me, I thought they were ace) than any christening presents I was given.
 Toerag 15 Jul 2014
In reply to drolex:

Baby buff?
 Howardw1968 15 Jul 2014
In reply to drolex:

Life membership to the national trust (think of all the free carparks her parents will get to use)
OP drolex 15 Jul 2014
In reply to Howardw1968:

That would be a very good idea (though a very expensive one) if only they were not French...
OP drolex 15 Jul 2014
In reply to SidharthaDongre:

This is brilliant!
In reply to drolex:

It really is!
rackandruin 15 Jul 2014
 sargy 15 Jul 2014
In reply to drolex:

To go with our baby carrier we were given a mirror on a bungy clip which meant we could attach it to the shoulder straps and check on the bairn. It was actually a really useful gift
In reply to drolex:

The single most useful outdoor things we've had for our nippers are waterproof and/or insulated all in one suits. Babies don't do a lot of the leg work on the hills, so they need wrapping up much warmer than an older child. That makes the all in one type thing suitable clobber on most days, rain or shine. Plus when you put them down in a bog they can roll/crawl/toddle about with impunity.
OP drolex 15 Jul 2014
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

Yeah definitely agree with that, but the ones I have used for mine lack a bit of bling to mark the occasion.

The baby buffs and the patas would make very good gifts from this point of view. (I know, "more money than sense" but sometimes you need these silly aspects)
 RockAngel 15 Jul 2014
In reply to drolex:

what about a teddy bear dressed in outdoor clothes, that the parents can take on walks with their daughter and take silly photos of, of their adventures?
 Carolyn 15 Jul 2014
In reply to drolex:

Merino base layer is a great idea - good for everyday as well as outdoor stuff.
 girlymonkey 15 Jul 2014
In reply to drolex:
http://www.littletrekkers.co.uk/shop/index.php/browse/cd5dedcc770e8e057f5ee...
I usually get stuff from here when friends have kids
 girlymonkey 15 Jul 2014
In reply to drolex:

These are great, and last a couple of years before they get outgrown.
http://www.littletrekkers.co.uk/shop/index.php/flypage/2390/5117765ffdfcd74...
 popebenedictus 16 Jul 2014
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

> (In reply to drolex)
>
> The single most useful outdoor things we've had for our nippers are waterproof and/or insulated all in one suits.

Agreed. We have one of these and have trekked all over the lakes with her in it. very useful
http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/hi-gear-kids-peapod-waterproof-suit-p274088

Combined with a fleecy pramsuit/onesie and she was happy down to sub-zero conditions in Val Thorens
Post edited at 12:20
Removed User 16 Jul 2014
In reply to drolex:

Your her god parent. Get something memorable that she can keep for the rest of her life.
 KiwiPrincess 17 Jul 2014
In reply to Nick Harvey:

I have a patagonia synthetic fill onsie, washable. Good on cold walks in carrier or when I'd put on my puffer in evenings, cold weather when out and about.

A camping portacot or sleeping bag might be useful

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...