UKC

Snare at Fairy Cave Quarry

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 deepstar 15 Jul 2014
After climbing Halfway to Kansas today we were walking back towards the Alpine Ridge through the wooded bit before the top of Balch's Slide and we found a Wire Snare attached to a stout bush on one side of the path with a wooden peg on the other.It had obviously been taken down from it's active position by someone but why and who would it have been put there in the first place? Any ideas
 The Pylon King 15 Jul 2014
In reply to deepstar:

No toms, kick or cymbals?
 Stevie989 15 Jul 2014
In reply to The Pylon King:

bah-dum-tiss!
 The Pylon King 15 Jul 2014
In reply to Stevie989:

exactly.

shame there wasn't a syndrum there as well.
 MoWalker3 15 Jul 2014
In reply to deepstar:

It was there on Sun (6th) as i went around trimming back some of the undergrowth, I spotted two, one still in operation, the other which had been disabled by someone else. I disabled the 1st but didn't remove it in case of reprisals against climbers cars, etc.
fwiw, I managed to garden Cassini division and improved access to the tops of Glacial point and Strictly ballroom, but we will need to consider the over abundance of buddleia after a year of exceptional growth.
OP deepstar 15 Jul 2014
In reply to MoWalker3:

> I managed to garden Cassini division and improved access to the tops of Glacial point and Strictly ballroom, but we will need to consider the over abundance of buddleia after a year of exceptional growth.

Well Done! I thought I might have a go at removing the jungle that covers "Peanuts" on The Glacis.
In reply to deepstar:

It's impossible to keep out anyone who is determined to get into the quarry. I assume the snares weren't set by a climber but I can't be sure and it may have been a caver. Not sure about the accuracy of this report but it conjures up an interesting mental picture! http://www.westerndailypress.co.uk/Man-falls-60ft-cliff-Somerset-s-Fairy-Ca...
I am planning a small quarry clean up one weekend in September. Nothing to grand or big but looking to remove some of the the worst bramble, Ash seedlings etc. I'll post on here nearer the time.

Ian
Ian Butterworth
BMC Access Rep for Somerset & Mendips
 Monk 15 Jul 2014
In reply to deepstar:

I've only climbed at fairy cave once, a couple of years ago, and I saw snares at the top then. They were close to the back fence so I assumed they were probably set by the farmer.
 olliebenzie 16 Jul 2014
In reply to deepstar:

I use to live just round the corner from fairy cave and I can assure you thems strange folk round there (myself excluded, but my family included) I wouldn't be supprised if it was to catch and eat humans!
I once topped out and had to belay sat next to a bin bag of dead chickens.
As I said thems strange people round there, look after yourself, they don't like the smell of soap, try tying round your neck, like garlic to a vampire.

Be yon,
Ollie.
 Steve nevers 26 Jul 2014
In reply to deepstar:
http://www.westerngazette.co.uk/Yeovil-climbing-enthusiast-falls-60ft-aband...

No freerunning, but i know he fell while descending the alpine ridge.

This paragraph is worrying though:

Police are working with councils and land owners to warn people of the risks of entering disused quarries. Gavin Jennings, the anti-social behaviour support officer for Mendip police, said: “We are working on a project for the Mendip area across the Quantock Hills looking to dissuade people from trespassing. “People, usually visitors from outside the area, may enter the sites and not know the dangers and hazards they could face and also that they could damage areas of natural beauty.”

Authorities are in the process of issuing letters in the area to raise awareness of the scheme and warn of fines incurred of up to £25,000 for trespassing.

Anyone have any contact with Mendip police about these proposed fines?
 Kimberley 26 Jul 2014
In reply to deepstar:

So, help me out here

Snares for trapping rabbits etc and are a regularly used and legal method of vermin control, is the post suggesting that they they have been set to trap non animal targets ??
OP deepstar 26 Jul 2014
In reply to Kimberley:

> So, help me out here

> Snares for trapping rabbits etc and are a regularly used and legal method of vermin control, is the post suggesting that they they have been set to trap non animal targets ??

No.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...