UKC

Brand New to Climbing looking for a partner

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ru-th2423 16 Jul 2014
Hi,
I'm a complete novice at climbing and I'm looking for a partner. Are there any good places /websites to find people who are at the same ability as me who might also need a partner? Started off at my local climbing wall.

Noticed that my arms get tired very easily, what are the best strength building exercises to help with this?

Thanks in advance

Ruth 😊
 Richt79 16 Jul 2014
In reply to Ru-th2423:

Most climbing walls run a kind of meet and greet or social night, which wall do you use?
OP Ru-th2423 16 Jul 2014
In reply to Richt79:

I live in Wrexham... Plas Power. 😄

I have left my details on a teeny weeny post it note on their notice board...

I'm very new to it, but seems to be good fun and requires thinking which is always good
 Jon Stewart 16 Jul 2014
In reply to Ru-th2423:

The lifts and partners forum on here can be a pretty good place to start - if you're specific about where you want to go climbing and when/how often.

Find out about local clubs is also a standard answer (never been in one myself).

As for strength-building exercises the answer is simple: climbing! When you start out, by far the best thing you can do is go climbing regularly and not worry about trying to do pull-ups etc. Just start on easy routes and work your way to harder stuff over time. Bouldering leads to quicker progress in strength than stuff with ropes. Have fun!
 climbwhenready 16 Jul 2014
In reply to Ru-th2423:

Local walls/clubs I find are the best. I once registered on a website called climbfind, but never used it, so I don't know if it's any good.....

You'll build up arm strength pretty quickly just by going climbing! I'm not a physio, but I think you get tired in arms partly from your muscles but also from your tendons... and tendons take a while to build up strength - so be careful about trying to rapidly build arm muscle strength because you need to give your tendons time to develop too. But with practice you'll start to lead with your feet rather than your arms (probably the most important lesson in climbing) and suddenly they'll feel a lot better after a session!

Have fun and find someone safe to take you outside before it's autumn and rainy
OP Ru-th2423 16 Jul 2014
In reply to Richt79:

I did think once I'd written it, it's about using your legs more than arms..

Also have an issue as I'm hardly a slight girl and find that I'm challenged a bit in that way, think that's just a personal confidence self esteem issue.

Well I think my area is quite good for outdoorsy stuff. I live in North Wales, near the Clwyd Rocks. If very much like to get out there just know I need a few more sessions in doors maybe?!

origamib 17 Jul 2014
In reply to Ru-th2423:

I think most people have given you enough info already, but thought I'd add some anyway

The lifts and partners section here is very good, I've been climbing for about a year now and I've ended up doing multipitch, sea cliff climbs and all sorts just through the lifts and partners section. A guy off here I climbed with was extremely patient with me when I was learning to lead. As long as you're honest with your skill, most people are very patient!

If you're looking for a partner for some trad over the next week let me know as I'm not too far from Wrexham. I've got a decent rack of gear (although only for single pitch), as well as a spare harness and helmet if needed
In reply to Ru-th2423:

See if you can get over to The Boardroom in Queensferry, it's less than 30 mins from Wrexham, is a brilliant wall (anythings better than Plas Power!) and has a really good vibe, your 're bound to find climbing partners over there, the people who run it are super friendly and supportive.
OP Ru-th2423 17 Jul 2014
In reply to paul_in_cumbria:

In reply to origamib:

At the moment I think I want somewhere quietish just until I've built up a bit of confident. Worried the boardroom may be tooooo busy? ( probably being silly but with me being very new to it I dot have much confidence )
OP Ru-th2423 17 Jul 2014
In reply to origamib:

I don't really have skill at the moment, I am completely new to it. I think that's my problem... I'd need someone very patient.

I also haven't got any equipment as I wanted to check it's definitely for me before I commit to spending money on items which may not be needed ( I don't feel this is the case though as I have really enjoyed what little I've done)
In reply to Ru-th2423:

Hi Ruth. I am in North Wales for the week, & currently no committments for Mon-Weds. Would be happy to take you out for one/more of those days if you are free. It would also help if you had harness/rockboots (tho I could bring extras with me if your feet are the appropriate size- leaving home noon tomorrow, let me know!). I climbed with origamib when he was starting out, & I might have been very patient........!! Very happy to climb with beginners who are game for the challenge/adventure/enjoyment. Cheers, Nik

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...