UKC

Slataper Bivouac, Civetta, and Dibona Refuge, Dolomites

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 pec 17 Jul 2014
The Alpine Club guide says the Slataper bivi hut has 3 beds, is very busy and water is scarce. I can't find much online but what I have suggests it has 9 beds and isn't used much.
If anybody has been there can you tell me:

How many beds does it have, does it have blankets or any other facilities

Is there any water nearby (or anywhere else on the Via Ferrata circuit if Civetta, 2 days of water is a lot to carry)

Is it likely to be busy if I avoid a weekend, its a long way from anywhere to turn up and find its full

If it is full, is there anywhere to bivi nearby, photos I've found don't look promising

Regarding the Dibona Refuge below Tofana, is it possible to drive to it as the book suggests or do you have to walk as descriptions I've found online suggest.

Thanks in advance.
 Tyler 17 Jul 2014
In reply to pec:

I was walking in that area on Sunday and if you are overnighting there are plenty of snow patches still around if you have a stove
OP pec 17 Jul 2014
In reply to Tyler:

Thanks, that helps with water (assuming the snow survives till we get there).
OP pec 17 Jul 2014
In reply to pec:

My apologies, the Slataper bivouac isn't on Civetta at all, its on the Via Ferrata circuit of Sorapiss. I didn't realise my mistake in the thread title and post until too late. Ignore Civetta and substitute Sorapiss in its place.
 ross 17 Jul 2014
In reply to pec:

Hi pec,
Slataper had blankets last time I was there (about 10yrs ago). 6 could sleep there but it'd be a squeeze. You get an idea of the size from the Google images. There was snow nearby but it was earlier in the year when I was there. It's a fantastic location.
Hope you enjoy, Ross.
 beardy mike 18 Jul 2014
In reply to pec:

Hi Pec. Out in the dollies at the minute and there is a lot of snow around for this time of the year, with large patches in shady gullies even down to 1000m! Up high there is still significant snow so unless its several months away, I'd imagine a lot will survive the current heat wave - it's been a massively snowy year...
OP pec 18 Jul 2014
In reply to pec:

Thanks all. I'm heading out there today but I've got 3 weeks and won't be heading to Sorapiss and the Slataper until the last week but hopefully there'll still be snow to melt for drinking water. On the other hand, the snow might put Tofana (hence the Dibona question) out of bounds.
Any more useful info re my questions still welcome, I'll keep checking this thread (assuming we can get a connection on our crap "smart"phone.
 Tyler 18 Jul 2014
In reply to pec:

The guides office told us the VF up Punta Anna was closed but no idea why.
 Mike-W-99 18 Jul 2014
In reply to Tyler:

One of the local guides keeps this fairly up to date -
http://www.guidedolomiti.com/en/ferrate-open-closed/

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...