UKC

Beryl Burton

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tall Clare 17 Jul 2014
I'm putting this in here to catch the attention of the cyclists, though it could arguably also go in the 'Culture Bunker' forum.

We saw the play 'Beryl' last night at West Yorkshire Playhouse. It's about Beryl Burton, and it was really really good. The run has been extended until Fri 25th July so there's still time to catch it if you're interested: http://www.wyp.org.uk/what%27s-on/2014/beryl/

Even if theatre's not normally your thing, I'd still recommend going.
llechwedd 17 Jul 2014
In reply to Tall Clare:

An unsung hero.

I enjoyed the R4 play that was on not too long ago. I think it formed the basis of the play you watched.
 Owen Meany 17 Jul 2014
In reply to Tall Clare:

We saw it last week - thoroughly recommend it!

There were members of Beryl's family in the audience that night - cue lots of blubbing from the lead actor when they congratulated her on her performance at the end - very emotional!

OM
OP Tall Clare 17 Jul 2014
In reply to llechwedd:

Yep, that's the one.
 lummox 17 Jul 2014
In reply to Tall Clare:

Maxine Peak's a talented woman isn't she ?
 Tom Valentine 17 Jul 2014
In reply to llechwedd:

I used to work with a lady who, apart from once holding the UK 12 and 24 hour records, also beat Beryl Burton in a significant race/time trial, I can't remember the details.
Her name is Christine Minto, she wouldn't say boo to a goose but she is one of my absolute heroines, still turning out good times on trikes and tandems.
llechwedd 17 Jul 2014
In reply to Tom Valentine:

427 miles in 24 hrs..........

We are not worthy!
andymac 18 Jul 2014
In reply to Tall Clare:

Tough lady.

I was trying to remember the name of a guy from the same era ,who still holds the record for cycling from London to Liverpool.was featured in the back of Cycling Plus a few years back.

Can see him sitting eating his bacon and eggs.

Apart from that ; Respect to Beryl

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...