UKC

Bass Rock - Wharncliffe

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 RM199 17 Jul 2014
for the second time I have again failed to find this.

Any pointers welcome

I have the bmc guide and have tried twice to find it but really struggling

cheers
 veteye 17 Jul 2014
In reply to RM199:

I've been three times at least and I have to admit it does take a bit of finding.As you're heading along the top path you go by the small climbing area on the left where there is the quite reachy but fun VS 4b onto the right arĂȘte.(I haven't got the book to hand to tell you what it's called).
Bass rock is quite a long way beyond this and I think that the distances in the book are a bit on the low side.About a half mile after the VS 4b there is the area of bouldering just off the path on the right hand side and you after go into a dip after that and then go up hill again before thinking about heading down the hillside.
I think that it is difficult to describe the position and you have to just spend a lot of time and concentration to get there.
I was there a couple of months ago in good weather and did the HVS on the front face on the right.It's quite a good route and certainly an easy HVS. In fact the VS 5a in the middle,which is very good, is probably harder.The diagonal severe on the left is also good fun.
So for all those reasons you should persevere and find the venue.I will certainly go again.
Rob
 Offwidth 18 Jul 2014
In reply to RM199:

Try Wharncliffe Woods pages here for more detailed directions..

http://offwidth.uptosummit.com/guides.html

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...