UKC

Horsefly bites?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Reach>Talent 18 Jul 2014
I've got a lump on my thigh about 8" x 8" x 3/4" thanks to a fecking horse fly. Thankfully the one on my neck hasn't got that big! Any one able to beat that?

More importantly does anything actually repel the little sods?
 Tall Clare 18 Jul 2014
In reply to Reach>Talent:

Eww!

I don't seem to get bitten by them (lucky me) but Mr TC does, and appears to have some sort of allergy - he's ended up on antibiotics more than once.
 toad 18 Jul 2014

My mrs gets these horrible lunar bases from horseflies - big hemispherical water filled blisters - she's got scars from last years bites still!

unfortunately I get little itchy red marks that last for a few hours and then fade. Apparently this makes me responsible for her bites being so bad. It's quantum or summfink

I was fishing beside the Trent about this time last year. Happily enjoying the sunshine I felt this very odd and strange pain on my left upper arm. I looked down and saw this fooking creature chomping away on my flesh. I kid you not I could see its mouth parts making mincemeat of me and it didnt half come keen.

This is the first and only time I have ever encountered a horsefly. Id rather not encounter another, thanks.

toad 18 Jul 2014
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:

I used to get a lot of bites/ squashed horseflies working round Farndon and up around Collingham/ Besthorpe. Deet does seem to work, but as they (might) say The price of a bite free body is eternal vigilance
 steveriley 18 Jul 2014

I think this was a horsefly: https://www.flickr.com/photos/steverile/9392052188/
That smarted.
Rigid Raider 18 Jul 2014

To the OP: see your GP, sounds like an infection.
 JohnnyW 18 Jul 2014

Clegs, as we call them up here in Scotland, are the sorest of bites. I come up like you describe, without it being any further infection - just reaction.

I find Autan keeps them away no problem, (but is crap for midges).
 Fiona Reid 18 Jul 2014
Yup, got bitten by one in Italy last summer. Started out as a wee red lump, after 24 hours area around bite was burning hot, bright red and the skin totally solid (now about 18 by 8cm) with red lines radiating from the red bits.

Trip to Cortina minor injuries, hydrocortisone drip in arm, steroid injection in backside, antibiotic & steroid cream on bite and bandaged arm. To top it all antibiotics for 7 days that made me very ill.
Post edited at 17:29
 Skyfall 18 Jul 2014

You have my sympathy; I react v badly to them too.

I got bitten on my ankle a couple of months back and needed anti-biotics as it did become infected, seeping ulcer etc.

In a way the worst was a bite I got in Ailefroide - my hand came up like a red glove and I couldn't climb for a day or so. However, my ever sympathetic climbing partner dragged me out quite quickly as I recall.
Post edited at 17:36
 _sllab_ 18 Jul 2014
lets see a photo!

yeah ghoulish curiousity
Post edited at 19:22
 lone 19 Jul 2014

Nope never had one that big, I think 4" x 4" was the biggest, they bloomin hurt when they bite don't they.

My brother got stung by a hornet once, in the forehead, he looked like Herman Munster for a few days.

Jase

goldmember 20 Jul 2014

Legs are covered in bites!!! anyone notice there more of the we bas***ds this year?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...