UKC

John Ellis Roberts

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 wynaptomos 18 Jul 2014
Sad news - I'm sure many of you will have come across John over the years especially in his role as Head Warden of Snowdonia National Park

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-west-wales-28362059
 Dave Williams 18 Jul 2014
In reply to wynaptomos:

Newyddion trist iawn. Mae gen i gof plentyn o wylio John yn dringo gyda Ceri Bloor ar y Moelwyn. Mae'r ddau wedi ei'n gadael 'nawr.

Un o 'hoelion wyth' y parc cenedlaethol am flynyddoedd.

Dyn gwybodus, galluog a medrus iawn, ond eto'n hollol ddiymhongar.

Diolch am ddod a fo i'n sylw.
In reply to wynaptomos:

I heard the news earlier today, very sad indeed...
llechwedd 18 Jul 2014
In reply to wynaptomos:

Sad news indeed.
 nigel n 18 Jul 2014
In reply to wynaptomos:

To expand on Dave's comments (yn saesneg) the connoisseur of moelwyn climbing will fond several very respectable routes that John climbed with Ceri Bloor (who became the local baker) in his youth.

I met him many times whilst he was head warden for the park and I worked at a local outdoor centre. Some of his initiatives were controversial (the finger post at the top of the ziz zags) but he was a man with a deep passion for the mountains and understanding of those who use them for walking and climbing.

His work for mountain rescue is well known and recognised - there are countless people who owe their lives to his efforts. I especially remember one January in the late '70s when two well known climbers were benighted on Lliwedd in heavy snow. His calm and professional approach prevented an ill conceived amateur rescure that would certainly have produced further casualties.

He was a guide in the true and best sense of the word.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...