UKC

Beginner climber

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
carla1974 18 Jul 2014
Seasoned hill walker but thinking of trying climbing, very nervous. Advice where to begin please? In peak
 dr_botnik 18 Jul 2014
In reply to carla1974:

Try a beginner course at one of the walls like The Foundry or Awesome Walls. Once you learn to belay and tie a figure 8 knot competently try joining a club or group.

That or make friends with someone who climbs alot and ask them to show you.
 Si_G 18 Jul 2014
In reply to carla1974:

I'm on the same journey. I started indoors, but did an outdoor intro course with rockfaceadventures.com, who were great. Very patient, and clearly very clued up.
I'm top roping outdoors now, building up to trad leads.

Some folk find (indoor) bouldering easier to get into, others prefer top ropes - whatever works for you.
 Sy Finch 18 Jul 2014
In reply to carla1974:

A good way would be to get in touch (ask on here) with an experienced climber that will take you out and second on some easy climbs. Doing many easy climbs on second will introduce you to the sport in an enjoyable and safe way. With time you will progress and may want to lead and do harder climbs but that's not for here now.
No need to be nervous, just give it a try. Any nerves would soon dissipate once on a climb, and be replaced with satisfaction and enjoyment at having a great day out with the right person/people.
BTW, I'm scared of heights, and was before I started climbing. My thirst for adventure far outweighs it though. It's a bit strange, but I'm totally at ease on a climb, (unless, it's bold and getting kinda jibby, like most folk) but heights turn my stomach, like looking over a cliff not on a belay, high buildings, etc.
But no need for you to worry about anything like that. Seconding will give you a thrill of a climb with little to worry about.
So get out there and give it a try and hope you do and enjoy it.

Sy.
In reply to carla1974:

I will take you out if you want. Lots of experience 40 years, lots of kit, know many crags, based in Yorkshire Dales. No fee just need to climb again and soon.
carla1974 19 Jul 2014
In reply to carla1974:

Thanks for all the replies. I will try an indoor wall first.
 sbc23 19 Jul 2014
In reply to carla1974:

Indoor walls are ok for learning the mechanics of belaying etc. Don't be put off by the verticality and gymnastic nature of the climbing. It's completely different to low grade routes in the mountains.

Personally, I find new folks get a lot more satisfaction out of relatively straight-forward big climbs or roped scrambles in the hills. You can get into some awesome positions on routes any normal healthy person can comfortably climb in a pair of trainers. A short route of similar grade on grit in the peak will be significantly more strenuous and awkward on first acquaintance.

If I ever end up with a free weekend, I'd be happy to show you the basics. I'm more familiar with the lakes than the peak.

Steve
 Mike Lates 01 Aug 2014
In reply to sbc23:
I'd agree with Steve; walls can give the impression that climbing is more physical than mental. They also teach you to fall off which ain't healthy .
I'd suggest getting a single day with one of dozens of available instructors for an intense introduction mixed with loads of fun. My bottom line is that you should leave confident enough that you feel entitled to opinions on routes & anchors when you do go out with someone else on a non-professional basis.
Post edited at 00:20
 jamescook 06 Aug 2014
In reply to carla1974:

Hi everyone's advice is different. I've only been climbing in the peak for a year. I started buying books looking at YouTube first. Then I just went for a climb and enjoyed it.
 GridNorth 06 Aug 2014
In reply to carla1974:

Assuming you are interested in trad climbing the ONLY valid reason for starting indoors would be bad weather. The sooner you get outdoors the better, indoor climbing can encourage bad habits.
needvert 06 Aug 2014
In reply to GridNorth:

There's plenty of valid reasons to go indoor first.

The principle one being because they want to.

Advise wise - I've never regretted hiring a guide. Climbings very diverse, from indoor plastic to ice to mountains of crumbling rock. From circles of friends spending a sunny afternoon on a boulder problem to sitting alone on a ledge waiting for a storm to pass. There's something there to be enjoyed in all of it, by anyone so inclined to take the time.
 Fraser 06 Aug 2014
In reply to GridNorth:

> ...indoor climbing can encourage bad habits.

Any specific suggestions?

GridNorth 06 Aug 2014
In reply to needvert:

Well if they want to or are only able to climb indoors that's fine. Im just offering an opinion.

In reply to Frazer:

I have noticed that climbers who have started indoors tend to rely too much on their arms and grab for holds in a way that is inadvisable on real rock. They also have difficulty "reading" the routes. Most climbers I know who started indoors also seem to lack a sense of the history and traditions of the UK climbing scene and are less sensitive to the importance of the environmental issues. By starting indoors a sense of H&S is fostered rather than one of adventure. How's that for starters?

Of course there are exceptions but this is my experience and in any case all I am saying is get outdoors ASAP. I'm not knocking indoor climbing but it needs to be recognised for what it is and it's limitations.
 Richard Baynes 06 Aug 2014
In reply to GridNorth:

This lass (or is it Carl A?) just wants some tips, not a discussion on the merits or otherwise of indoor walls.
To the OP: Try joining a decent club, plenty in all the towns and cities around the peak, and latch onto someone who wants to climb. No experience is usually necessary esp. if you're already a hillgoer and can contribute on that side as most climbing clubs do walking and general mountaineering. Clubs also use walls, so you can get that through a club too.
There's an article by me about clubs on UKC.
 d_b 06 Aug 2014
In reply to Fraser:

The main disadvantage of indoor walls for complete beginners that I have seen is that letting go at the top and lowering off is not a natural thing to do. A lot of people really don't like it at first, although practicing a foot off the ground helps.

Outside you more often than not start and end on terra firma.

GridNorth 06 Aug 2014
In reply to Richard Baynes:

FFS. All I said was get outdoors as soon as possible, the rest of it was me justifying my advice to other posters. I sometimes despair of this forum, I really don't know why I bother.

Richard Baynes 08 Aug 2014
In reply to GridNorth: Sorry not aimed at anyone in particular, and it's sometimes good for discussions to go off, but I thought I would try to steer it back on target.
And I agree, get outdoors as soon as possible, and the ethic of being an outdoors type is probably more important than climbing.
R
J1234 08 Aug 2014
In reply to carla1974:
There are many ways but you could do far worse that do a course here http://www.pyb.co.uk/courses-rock-climbing.php you will have world class training, you will probably find out if climbing is for you or not and it will probably be cheaper both in terms of time and money.
I tend to agree with GridNorth that getting outside ASAP is good as if you go indoors you will only have to make a transition later, particularly as you say your a hillwalker.
If you do the pyb course and like it, I would then recommend a club, in the peak the mynneth are a good gang and the Pinnacle Club is an all ladies club and a great bunch, and the pyb course would prepare you for entry to one or both of these clubs.
Post edited at 15:55
Simos 08 Aug 2014
In reply to GridNorth:

Well in fairness you did also say the only reason to go the indoors route is bad weather and that indoors climbing can encourage bad habits + might make one a boring, bad person. (joking) Nothing wrong with that, it's a valid opinion and you are perfectly entitled to it, just saying that it's not as surprising it got a (mild) reaction.

3B48 08 Aug 2014
In reply to GridNorth:

Having seen a 6b indoor wall climber fall off a moderate on a top rope, I'd agree with that. I'm learning all the time and would agree that indoors teaches some mechanics, but outdoors has to be tried on its own merits.
 3B48 08 Aug 2014
In reply to carla1974:

Btw once you do start climbing, be warned, it will take over and you'll never want to be bothered with a hill walk again unless it involves getting some ropes out!
 John_Hat 08 Aug 2014
In reply to carla1974:

If you are very nervous you might find a course at a local climbing wall the most non-intimidating way in.

Do a search on here for a local wall, and then go there and book a course. Go with a friend if you fancy it.

If you are looking for someone to take you out with a group from on here, then a more complete profile would probably help. i.e. where you are - as in town - "Peak" is a large area, age, what you want to get out of it, etc.

To give an example, if someone posted and gave me the impression that they wanted an "adrenaline-packed day out doing an extreme sport like climbing" I'd avoid them like the plague, however if someone posted that its something they've been wanting to get into for years and never had the opportunity I might offer to help if they were local and I had a spare day.

P.S. Climbing is not an extreme sport. The most dangerous bit of any climbing day out should be crossing the road from the car park.
 nation1 09 Aug 2014
In reply to carla1974:

start off indoors and make sure you can belay, tie in to your harness correctly etc etc, get the basics right and get a feel for it, move to real rock asap though as on a personal level I much rather the real deal. A club is a good way to start or local notice boards at a climbing walls are good to partner up. Birchen edge near Baslow is very popular for beginner outdoor climbers. Good luck
 Brass Nipples 09 Aug 2014
In reply to carla1974:

Ask in your local mountaineering club for advice about recommending on a calm experienced climber. One who just gets on with it, remains safe and unruffled, has patience and a calm demeanour and is happy to take you on some easy routes and explain how it all works. Ask if you can to weight the rope a foot off the ground and see how it all works and that the rope will hold you. Above all enjoy, and avoid those who see it as an adrenaline rush, or talk about how hard it is etc.
 tlm 10 Aug 2014
In reply to carla1974:

> Seasoned hill walker but thinking of trying climbing, very nervous. Advice where to begin please? In peak

Climbing indoors isn't the only way. And don't be nervous - you can choose climbs at different grades, starting off from things that are more or less like climbing up a staircase, so you have a lot of control over what you choose to do.

Easy indoor climbing tends to be steeper, with more obvious holds, and the holds on the whole tend to be more similar.

Easy outdoor climbing tends to be at fairly gentle angles, with lots more variety in how you can use the rocks, with ledges, bridging, jamming etc. You also get to be outdoors, enjoying nature!

Which you would prefer depends on why you want to get into climbing.

Also - have you done any scrambling at all?

I would agree with the suggestions of either a guide outdoors, an outdoor course, or trying a local club....
 tlm 10 Aug 2014
In reply to Richard Baynes:

> This lass (or is it Carl A?) just wants some tips, not a discussion on the merits or otherwise of indoor walls.

??? What?!
How are they supposed to decide what is best for them without knowing what the pros and cons of the various options are?!

That's very closed minded of you.
 tlm 10 Aug 2014
In reply to carla1974:

This can help you find your local club:

https://www.thebmc.co.uk/map
 Mark Kemball 10 Aug 2014
In reply to carla1974:

Consider a course at P Y B http://www.pyb.co.uk/courses-rock-climbing.php Good value, and probably more suited to a hill walker wanting to try climbing rather than trying courses at an indoor wall.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...