UKC

Portugal / Lisbon low / mid grade sports climbing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 duchessofmalfi 19 Jul 2014
If I'm in Lisbon for a week for work are there any decent sports climbing destinations nearby? 5+-6b range. Or should I just pack a surf board... What guide book makes sense for this?

Ta!
 Sl@te Head 19 Jul 2014
In reply to duchessofmalfi:

I've climbed and surfed in Portugal, surfing's great and thought the Climbing was worthwhile.

Jingo Wobbly does a guide for Portugal.
In reply to Sl@te Head:

Thanks! I'm going September time and maybe won't have a car - is it too hot to climb and are there any easily accessible crags near Lisbon?
 Sl@te Head 19 Jul 2014

Really enjoyed climbing at Sintra which has it's own micro climate and is cool so can be climbed year round, some boulders nearby as well.

http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crag.php?id=8891
 chris_r 19 Jul 2014

There's plenty of mid-range stuff at Farol da Guia, just outside Cascais. If you don't have a car the coastal train from Lisbon is easy and reliable, taking around 30mins. From there its a bit less than 3km walk along flat roads to the crag. It's not the most beautiful location, although its on the coast there is a fair bit of waste and rubbish there. Some decent routes though. I'd recommend Superman.

I thought Sintra was fantastic. Beautiful location and the rock is great. We did get a bus out there but a car would make life much easier. The walk up the hill from the station is quite a way, but its mostly in woodland so not in direct heat. We even got offered a lift off a friendly local. Well worth the effort.

As Ian said, the Jingo Wobbly guide is worth getting hold of.

PM me if you want more details and better directions.

Chris
In reply to chris_r:

+1 for Cascais - we didn't find it too rubbish-strewn and it's relatively straightforward to get to. Sintra is a nice area, but a bit more of a mission to get to and there'll be MASSIVE crowds in the area at the moment.

Cascais is also a good spot to get municipal bikes - there's a stand just down the road from the crag, which you pass on the way out from town - which you can use to easily get out to Guincho, one of the major surfing beaches.

Martin

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...