UKC

Ropeman 2 or Micro traxion

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 CharlieMack 19 Jul 2014
Been looking to get a ropeman 2, for everything from escaping the system, to help hauling up seconds. Unnecessary i know, but i'm a bit of a gear geek/collector.

But after looking in a shop yesterday, i noticed that the Petzl Micro Traxion is actually lighter and has a pulley! So why get the Ropeman?

Ropeman 2 92g, 15kn breaking strength and 8-13mm. £45
Micro Traxion 85g, 15kn breaking strength and 8-11mm. £60

But with the micro traxion, you also get the advantage of the 91% pulley?!
Ok,it's slightly more expensive, but for slight weight advantage, and the huge advantage of the pulley. Why would anyone get a ropeman?
 Alex Slipchuk 19 Jul 2014
In reply to CharlieMack:

Petzl tbloc is even lighter, easier to carry (hence more likely)
OP CharlieMack 19 Jul 2014
In reply to Alex Slipchuk:

I've heard that they wear your ropes out fairly quick though?
 AlanLittle 19 Jul 2014
In reply to CharlieMack:

Ropeman has a toothless cam, which people seem to think is an advantage for simul-climbing & solo toproping.
 David Coley 19 Jul 2014
In reply to AlanLittle:

> Ropeman has a toothless cam, which people seem to think is an advantage for simul-climbing & solo toproping.

Many people (who simul and solo) would say: micro trax has teeth and therefore better for simul and solo as it will catch yet offers little friction.
 David Coley 19 Jul 2014
In reply to CharlieMack:

check out the roll n lock
 jimtitt 19 Jul 2014
In reply to CharlieMack:

Climbing Technology Roll´N´Lock for me.
needvert 20 Jul 2014
In reply to CharlieMack:

I really like the microtraxion. I use it as a pulley and for solo top roping.

The teeth are a positive feature.
 Adam Long 20 Jul 2014
In reply to AlanLittle:

You mean they have giant flat teeth like knives instead of little needle teeth? Under dynamic loads that means the rope gets cut rather than just damaged....
 Keiran.A 20 Jul 2014
In reply to CharlieMack:

Use a mini traxion for work and it can be a ball ache to release the cam so I'll often have it connected to the anchor with a Munter-mule in a sling. Ropeman are fairly easy to down Prussic with and to reset when used as the tractor in a pulley system but the same can't be said for a tibloc.

Also the traxion doesn't always function well as a standard pulley as the teeth often catch when the cam is disengaged.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...