UKC

Salomon Quest Access 80

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 CacCarnBeag 19 Jul 2014
Has anybody used these?

http://www.snowandrock.com/pws/UniqueProductKey.ice?ProductID=SAL1901O1&...

I'm looking at getting a pair for general touring and the occasional gully.

I'll be using them on K2 Domains with marker Barron's (quite heavy), and I'm pretty light, just over 9 stone and only 5' 5'' in height.

I'm wondering if the 80 flex would be appropriate for this?

Also interested in anybody's comments on the quality of the soles?

Merlin 30 Jul 2014
In reply to CacCarnBeag:

I have the predecessor but have not yet used them for touring. The quality seems fine, sole unit wouldn't be ideal for climbing (like a scarpa, BD or similar).

I find the boot narrow (and I'd say I have relatively narrow feet), although this doesn't become apparent until I'm breaking or turning aggressively, at which point the forefoot becomes painful at the base where the boot narrows before the insole.
 Jack_Lewin 31 Jul 2014
In reply to CacCarnBeag:

First I would suggest going and trying them on and see a boot fitter before buying off the internet, preferably buy from said boot fitter it may work out cheaper in the long run!

The soles that come with the boot will I think be standard plastic ones, these can be swapped for rubber walking/climbing sole for use with touring bindings. You may be tempted to go for something slightly stiffer as well but if budgets an issue then buy these and spend some money on custom footbeds and customisation which will be better than a more expensive model without footbeds etc.
 AG 31 Jul 2014
In reply to CacCarnBeag:

my wife has the womens version. She likes them - very comfy. Probably best suited for back country/ off piste rather than long tours in the alps but fine for scotland. We never did any tours with long walk in this year , but i never heard her moan on the short walk in we did!. soles seem fine too.
A good boot if you want one for both piste and off piste backcountry .
 Merlin 31 Jul 2014
In reply to Jack_Lewin:
I don't find boot fittings make that much difference. I have had two pairs of boots now, both fitted and heat moulded in-store, neither of which I would say fit me particularly well. You generally won't know if a boot fits until you've been out for a day or longer (goes for most footwear really, even more so for sport related products).
Post edited at 21:12

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...