UKC

Pyrenees Help Needed

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jaylaz 20 Jul 2014

Stuck in Chamonix right now in the pouring rain and the forecast is bad for the next week or so. Thinking of heading to the Pyrenees but never been before and have no knowledge of the area. We are looking for mountaineering routes on rock, snow and ice. Where should we be going? Thanks Jay
Post edited at 09:07
 felt 20 Jul 2014
In reply to Jaylaz:

> We are looking for mountaineering routes on rock, snow and ice. Where should we be going?

Other parts of the Alps.
 ben b 20 Jul 2014
In reply to felt:
You could be right there...

Jaylaz, most folk new to the Pyrenees go to the Vignemale region but realistically here won't be a lot of snow and ice to go round. Lovely hills - but not the Alps. No shortage of things to do though.

b

OP Jaylaz 20 Jul 2014
In reply to Jaylaz:

Thanks for the replies, have looked at other Alps regions and much the same weather. Does the Pyrenees offer long mountaineering rock routes to its high peaks?
 malk 20 Jul 2014
In reply to Jaylaz:

Pic du Midi d'Ossau has plenty of rock routes..
OP Jaylaz 20 Jul 2014
In reply to Jaylaz:

Thanks everyone for the advice and ideas. Think we are going to head for Lourdes and see what's there.
altirando 20 Jul 2014
In reply to Jaylaz:

Tour de France tv showed downpours in south west France today. Think about southern end of the alps, south of the Ecrins, almost Haute Provence, many 3000m peaks along the Italian border giving mountaineering type ascents.
 rusty8850 20 Jul 2014
In reply to Jaylaz:

Don't go to lourdes! Like a blackpool for pilgrims. Pau is ok for a city/ big town. Lourdes is awful.
altirando 20 Jul 2014
In reply to Jaylaz:

Just looked at La Chaine Meteo and there is a 'perturbation tres dynamique' crossing France at the moment. My suggestion was based on a guidebook 3000m sans frontieres which I think i bought in Embrun or Gap which lists 110 peaks in the southern alps over 3000m. Should keep you busy for a couple of weeks.
 malk 20 Jul 2014
In reply to Jaylaz:

> Thanks everyone for the advice and ideas. Think we are going to head for Lourdes and see what's there.

fair enough, but don't go just for some hypothetical weather improvements
i like this for long range weather..
http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=jetstream
 Jasonic 20 Jul 2014
In reply to Jaylaz:

http://www.camptocamp.org/books/344365/fr/pyrenees-les-plus-belles-courses

This is the one to get, you could also consider the Ecrins staying at Ailfroide.
 Alan.T 20 Jul 2014
In reply to Jaylaz:

I'm with jaylaz in Chamonix. We know nothing about Pyrenees area and struggling to find a guide book. We're going to try to find one again tomorrow but don't want to be wasting time finding a book and picking a route when we get there. We're committed to going to the area due to subsequent travel plans. Just need some advice on a good valley base to aim for. Any route recommendations welcome.
 Doug 20 Jul 2014
In reply to Alan.T:

Don't go to Lourdes, pass by & head towards Gavarnie, or go to Cautaret, or Pic du Midi -Lourdes is horrible
 Pyreneenemec 20 Jul 2014
In reply to Jaylaz:

> Thanks everyone for the advice and ideas. Think we are going to head for Lourdes and see what's there.

Sounds like an awful plan !

Seriously, if you pass through Toulouse, 'Au Vieux Campeur' at Labege has an excellent selection of books. The Meridien Lerclerc Hypermarket at Tarbes ( Ibos) also has good a choice. Get the Leclerc card and get 10% off all marchandise in the Leclerc Sport shop ( everything for climbing/walking/camping ).

As some kind soul already pointed out, the Pyrénées are not the Alps ! However, you can do things in one day that you often couldn't do in the
Alps ! Climbs of 600m on the Pic de Midi d'Ossau. Likewise in the Luchon area on the Quayrat and Spijioles.

If you must visit Lourdes, be sure to light a candle and pray for good weather !
 Pyreneenemec 20 Jul 2014
In reply to Jaylaz:

Here's my personal recommendation ;

http://www.camptocamp.org/routes/55021/fr/mont-perdu-eperon-des-esparrets

A bivouac on the Balcon de Pineta is unforgettable. The Refuge de Tuquerouye
can also be used, but is often crowded.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...