UKC

Delays on A82 round Loch Lomond?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
After getting stuck in that hell during late May on the way to Mull, I am wondering if there are still (massive) delays as we are heading up there tomorrow for the Oban ferry. Any recent experiences/facts gratefully received.
 pog100 20 Jul 2014
In reply to Frank the Husky:

In the spirit of UKC I don't have recent experience but will answer anyway. The reason I don't have recent experience is that on my many trips to Scotland I always go via Callander and Crianlarich. I am sure it is faster and more reliable and that will probably eben more the case with the Games just about to start.
In reply to pog100: Ha! Pretty useful thank you. I will try that route unless anyone has any better ideas.

Fiend 20 Jul 2014

There will be some sort of delay, whether it's extended roadworks or a bunch of doddery tw@ts stuck behind a Lochs And fcking Glens coach for 15 miles. However it depends on when you travel - I've been through in the day and it's been busy but only a few mins delay at the roadworks, and I've been through at 10:30 at night and it's been extremely quiet but there was a completely unmentioned 15+ minute delay at the roadworks, not ideally when you're trying to get someone to Glasgow station for the last 11:30 train.

In short, recent experience suggests the delays are not massive but are prominent enough to leave an extra 30 mins just in case.

Some AA route planner stats:

From Uddingston (just before the M74 / M73 split) to Oban:

Via A82:
Distance: 104.4 miles (show in km)
Time: 2 hr 19 min

Via A83 (alternative if LL is really bad):
Distance: 108.0 miles (show in km)
Time: 2 hr 24 min

Via Callander (noting that traffic from M9 to and through Callander is usually worse than LL):
Distance: 110.7 miles (show in km)
Time: 2 hr 25 min
 shantaram 20 Jul 2014

I second Pog100. The Stirling Callander route is slightly longer in distance, but I've found it's usually faster and much less prone to delays. The Loch Lomond route can be sooo frustrating.
 Fiend 20 Jul 2014
In reply to shantaram:
The Callander route is just as prone to delays: The slow bit from M9 to Strathyre via Douane and Callander is about 22 miles with 2 villages, a lot of tourist traffic (inc Blair Drummond wildlife park), and not much overtaking opportunity if it's busy.

The slow bit on the A82 from Tarbet to Inverarnan is 10.5 miles...

Obviously that section of the A82 is farcically outdated for a major trunk road and very frustrating, but Callander is not a miracle cure!
Post edited at 11:53
In reply to all:
I have a ticket for the 1540 ferry from Oban to Castlebay on Monday, and absolutely cannot leave Buxton until 0830 for reasons of a very long & ridiculous story but that is the earliest I can set off. That gives me about 6.5 hours so it's a finely balanced decision and I am not 100% sure it can be done!

The sailing Tuesday is already full, otherwise we'd have stopped off in the Lakes or something. Are the roadworks etc still ongoing on the A82 round LL?
Post edited at 12:12
 Skol 20 Jul 2014

When I went through in mid June they were, plus the crianlarich bypass which may cause delays which ever way you go?
 pog100 20 Jul 2014
In reply to Fiend:

I take your point about lack of overtaking and possible delays, though since the widening works from Glasgow to Stirling are finished these seem to be less of a problem. Maybe I have been lucky but I have never had a serious long queue or other long delay on the Callander route, in stark contrast the the LL one. If I had a 6 hour limit I would do the Callander way but you have more local knowledge.
 mwr72 20 Jul 2014

> I have a ticket for the 1540 ferry from Oban to Castlebay on Monday, and absolutely cannot leave Buxton until 0830 for reasons of a very long & ridiculous story but that is the earliest I can set off. That gives me about 6.5 hours so it's a finely balanced decision and I am not 100% sure it can be done!

>
Lead foot?
In reply to mwr72: Exactly, that's going to be my best friend. Hmm. Thanks for all the replies thus far.
 rka 20 Jul 2014

Go via Callander and use this to avoid queues going into it from south (although cant see it being congested on a monday lunch time)

Take M9 to stirling, take A84, at end of straight bear left onto A873 sign posted Aberfoyle, go through Thornhill and turn right onto B 822 sign posted Callander. This will take you to traffic lights in Callander turn left back onto A84.

PS Going anywhere north west of Fort William always faster (may change as average speed cameras on A9 are very nearly in operation) to go up to Dalwhinnie and down to Spean Bridge.
 Fiend 20 Jul 2014

> Are the roadworks etc still ongoing on the A82 round LL?

See my post above.

> That gives me about 6.5 hours so it's a finely balanced decision and I am not 100% sure it can be done!

It definitely can be done although getting onto the M60 is probably going to be the biggest issue! You can make up a lot of time on the M6 and M74, but making it up on the M80 or A82 before Tarbet requires a bit more, errr, dedication.

rka's alternative route around Callander *may* help (Callander was busy enough last Tue lunchtime), although it's smaller roads.

FWIW it's worth:

Uddingston to Spean Bridge:

A82:
Distance: 124.6 miles
Time: 2 hr 55 min
(bit of town driving around Dumbarton, fast to Tarbet, slow at LL roadworks, can make up a lot of lost time at Glen Coe, never seen speed cameras there, slow around Fort William)

A9:
Distance: 147.8 miles
Time: 3 hr 12 min
(congested Perth to Pitlochry, fast Pitlochry to Dalwhinnie, can't make up much time on A86 to Spean due to road, have to be careful on A9 Stirling to Perth speed cameras (average cameras due in operation in October))
 jon 20 Jul 2014

ViaMichelin gives it 6h46 (541km). Good luck.
 Dave Hewitt 20 Jul 2014
I was going to chip in with the Thornhill option, before seeing that rka had got there first. It's a good summer alternative - a straighter route despite the various junctions (the A84 is surprisingly dogleggy when you look at the map), and definitely a better bet in summer when it's caravanfest on the main road. Not such a good option in winter, though, as it tends not to get so many gritters - but the A84 is usually no probs then anyway, as the caravans are all parked in Acacia Avenue. (There's also the extended version that sneaks round by the first bit of the Invertrossachs road and the Lade Inn and thus misses most of Callander and half of Kilmahog, but that mainly gets used on the return leg if the queues start near the Falls of Leny.)

I say all this despite living on the side of Stirling where the Bridge of Allan/Keir/Doune option is more natural than Dobbies/Blair Drummond etc, but I often enough pick up a pal in Stirling proper for the great Doune vs Thornhill dilemma to be given regular thought.
Post edited at 15:37
 Bob 20 Jul 2014
In reply to Fiend:

> The slow bit from M9 to Strathyre via Douane and Callander is about 22 miles with 2 villages,

Douane? Crikey has the Chief Pie Eater put up the border fence already?

Martin W 20 Jul 2014
Another way on to the A84 from the M90 which avoids the drag past Blair Drummond most of Doune involves going all the way to the end of the M90 and then either (a) taking the first exit off the roundabout, the B824, past the David Stirling memorial, or (b) the second exit off the roundabout, the A9 and then the first exit off the A9, the A820. Both of these take you through the old part of Doune village and deposit you on the A84 shortly before the national speed limit starts again.

There is basically one good, straight bit of road for overtaking on the A84 between Kilmahog and Strathyre - and one dodgy one which involves taking advantage of slightly unusual sightlines through a series of bends. A lot of the rest of that stretch consists of those frustrating long, lazy bends which don't give you quite enough forward view to be able to overtake safely. After Strathyre things get a bit easier, especially on the upper reaches of Glen Ogle, though you still have to pick your spot and be lucky with traffic to complete overtakes safely.

I think that route is still likely to be way less frustrating than the A82 past Loch Lomond, though.

Bear in mind that, whichever way you get to Tyndrum, it's all too easy to get held up on the A85 between there and Oban as well.

I do think that you would be better trying to change whatever it is that's keeping you in Buxton until 8:30am, or else have a good backup plan for stuff to do on the mainland in case you do miss the ferry. There's no point driving like a loon, risking points or an accident, just to get to one particular bit of Scotland. Lots of the rest of it is really quite nice too!
 P Emery 20 Jul 2014

I'm driving to Oban most days, and if you are driving via LL, I'd recommend taking the A83 at Tarbet to Inveraray. Then follow the A819 towards Dalmally, then the A85 to Oban. This detour at least avoids the roadworks traffic. Good luck with your journey.
 Fiend 20 Jul 2014
In reply to Martin W:

> Another way ...deposit you on the A84 shortly before the national speed limit starts again.

Via turning right - if you can get out - into the same pre-Callander queues.

> I think that route is still likely to be way less frustrating than the A82 past Loch Lomond, though.

Will it be objectively quicker though??

> Bear in mind that, whichever way you get to Tyndrum, it's all too easy to get held up on the A85 between there and Oban as well.

This is a good point and worth heeding.
In reply to Martin W: Very good advice regarding not driving like an idiot, which I don't do anymore anyways, but I might be tempted. I could entertain you with the story of how I left my only set of van keys in the Post Office on Saturday, and then the postmistress found them and locked them in the safe for safekeeping....but the safe is on a timer and cannot be opened until 0830 Monday without the SWAT team crashing through the roof. I could entertain you with that story, but I won't. Jesus.

MB42 20 Jul 2014
Was suggesting the Inverary way but just noticed someone's already done so. Usually quicker than LL and less risk of mega delays. Bit of a gamble in very heavy rain though as the R&BT does shut sometimes.
Post edited at 23:02
In reply to MB42:
Unless Fiend (who will be on the A82 tomorrow morning says otherwise) I will take the Inverary way. And then report back when I get there...whichever way it's gone. Thank you to everyone for all your help and suggestions.
Post edited at 23:57

Made it with 3 minutes to spare, going the full LL way. Worst delays were on the A6 in Stockport and on the Oban road from Crianlarich, stuck behind some dude doing 25mph the whole way. Thanks to everyone again, and ifiend specifically for his on the spot traffic report this morning.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...