UKC

Beginner alpine routes around Aig Du Midi for acclimatisation

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tammisuo 20 Jul 2014
Any advice for a beginner alppinist (30 years of climbing though). We are looking for easy alpine routes around Aig Du Midi for acclimatisation.
In reply to Tammisuo: Traverse of the Petits Charmoz? PD+ (ish), about 9,500 feet at the summit, easy access from the half way station on the telepherique, can be done in rock boots or big boots as you wish, lovely walk down to Chamonix afterwards.

T.

Webster 20 Jul 2014
In reply to Tammisuo:

Cosmique arĂȘte is pretty straight forward and a good beginner route despite the grade. it has a short rock pitch which would get about S/HS but the rest is fairly simple alpine territory. also its a short day with easy access and it is probably possible to escape at a few places.
 Doug 20 Jul 2014
In reply to Pursued by a bear:

doesn't that start with a horrendous chimney ?

to the OP - Midi Plan traverse might be suitable, but it was 30 odd years ago when I did it & I have an idea that snow/ice conditions are more difficult (esp the descent from the Plan)
In reply to Doug: I didn't think it was too bad (I did lead that bit), but opinions of chimneys do tend to be a personal thing. I was glad I was wearing rock boots for the stated crux corner higher up (my lead again) but my mate climbed both bits in big boots without a problem.

However, it was a good while ago when we did it and the route will only have got more polished since, so the opinion of someone that's climbed it more recently would be useful. There's a picture of the Petits Charmoz and the AiguilleDe L'M here https://www.flickr.com/photos/8411024@N08/8094089975/ but I suspect warming will have caused the glacier to shrink back quite markedly; again, a more recent image would carry more weight and a search through the photos on this site might be useful.

Good day out though.

T.

Doug 20 Jul 2014
In reply to Pursued by a bear:
Some photos here http://www.camptocamp.org/images/list/oroutes/53780/orderby/odate/order/des...

Sure I climbed it in boots but can't remember any details, other than vague memories of polished chimneys/cracks & getting back to Chamonix just as the supermarket was closing for lunch

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...