UKC

Independent Climbing Shop South West?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
So obviously we have a few chain stores but why are there no dedicated, independent climbing shops? Has there been any in the past that were unsuccessful? Only been in the South West for a few years so trying to get some info if anyone knows! Thanks.
 Luke90 20 Jul 2014
In reply to climbhannahclimb:

I think dedicated climbing shops are the exception rather than the rule anywhere in the country. I can only think of a handful of places that match your criteria nationwide and even those have branched out into areas other than climbing gear.
In reply to Luke90:

Yeah branching out into other areas is pretty much a given but in terms of having a good range of stock from a large variety of brands seems few and far between? I like to look at it all and have a play rather than sitting at home online comparing. Shops seem to have just enough to get by. Correct me if I'm wrong!
 The Pylon King 20 Jul 2014

This is a fine shop:

http://www.dicksclimbing.com
In reply to The Pylon King:

Thanks Pylon, ideally looking further SW, Cornwall/Devon, Bristol is a long way on public transport!
 petegunn 20 Jul 2014

Unfortunately this great little shop is going
http://www.moorland-rambler.co.uk/
 The Pylon King 20 Jul 2014

ok, although Bristol is SW
 Cheese Monkey 20 Jul 2014

The Barn

Penrose outdoors in Truro, although the climbing side of that has fallen off in recent years - and it didn't help when Cotswold moved in right across the road.

Outback Trading in Helston, although I've not been in in a couple of years and climbing gear was very much a sideline in any case.

Martin

taunton leisure do a bit of climbing gear,based in taunton but have a shop in bristol and exeter too
great, thanks guys
 grump gnome 20 Jul 2014

Dart Rock Climbing Centre in Buckfastleigh keep some stock and can get in a good range. The great thing is the staff are all climbiers and can give great advice.
 Kemics 20 Jul 2014
In reply to grump gnome:

I got my first rack from dartrock. I wish I could give more information but my memory has faded over the last 5 years. the owner knew i wanted to get into trad. Appeared one day with a bundle of kit (everything I needed to get started) and gave me a really really good price. Recommend massively!

Taunton leisure is good too, would stock everything the average climber would need.

Dicks climbing is also totally brilliant. I think he does free postage for orders over £50(?) or something. So save the money on public transport and get it sent to your door
 Tom Last 20 Jul 2014
In reply to maisie:

> Penrose outdoors in Truro, although the climbing side of that has fallen off in recent years - and it didn't help when Cotswold moved in right across the road.

I can't understand how it never occurred to Penrose that it was they that should have moved onto Lemon Quay; they must get such little passing traffic there. It's a shame, the staff are good and friendly, the ski section is useful and I guess the only ski shop in Cornwall(?), but Cotswolds have completely stolen the march on them. Shame really, can't see them lasting.
 leland stamper 20 Jul 2014

another vite for Dicks
 BicycleBradley 21 Jul 2014

I too vouch for dicks, sure its in Bristol; but then you can go climbing in avon with you shiny new gear afterwards!
I've got all the gear I need, I just like playing with kit is all I've been meaning to get on the sport up there for a while so maybe it's time for a day trip!
 Steve nevers 23 Jul 2014

Another vote for Dick's, Top bloke, BMC style discount as standard on all prices (for everyone, not just BMC members( discount already factored into his site prices), fast delivery too.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...