UKC

Wind River Mountains

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 OwenM 20 Jul 2014

Anyone been? Where did you fly to?

Trying to find flights that don't cost an arm and a leg. Thanks.
Post edited at 17:37
 jon 20 Jul 2014
In reply to OwenM:

Yes, Salt Lake a couple of times. As both times the Winds were just part of a long road trip SLC was convenient, though if you're going solely to visit the Winds maybe somewhere else would be better? One trip was a six day hike of the Highline trail and the other was a climbing trip to the Cirque of the Towers, but both times we accessed the range from Pinedale. Lander is the other main entry point so that may help you decide. Mountain Project is a good source of info: http://www.mountainproject.com/v/wind-river-range/105823538
 jdgaventa 20 Jul 2014
In reply to OwenM:

When I went we flew into Denver, had a few days climbing in El Dorado Canyon, Boulder Canyon and the Flatirons, then a full day drive up to the Elkhart Park trailhead for the Titcomb Basin. We rented bear barrels from REI in Boulder, and hired a guy in Pinedale to bring some of our gear in by horse.

Truly wonderful part of the world, with hardly anyone there even in midsummer.

Jack Frost 20 Jul 2014
In reply to OwenM:

Flew to Denver.

Flatirons at Boulder, then long drive north to Devil's Tower, then west to Lander to reach the Wind Rivers.

Return to Denver via Black Canyon of the Gunnison and Vedauwoo near Laramie.

It was a long time ago though.
 Webster 20 Jul 2014
In reply to Owen

Laramie is probably your nearest airport, fly via Denver. or just drive from Denver, probably not much difference in cost or in time saved.
 alasdair19 20 Jul 2014
In reply to OwenM:

we flew to denver may not be the best place though we did manage to find a cheapish hire car.

Make sure you figure in the cost of insuring your vehicle it was going to double the cost of the hire until we were able to get onto my go at times dad's business policy. ...

its a terrific area and if you have the time you can on the tenons as well.
 Lankyman 20 Jul 2014
In reply to OwenM:
Go prepared for mosquitoes - they can be problematic at times during the summer and can bite through clothing that would be midge-proof in this country.
 jon 20 Jul 2014
In reply to Lankyman:

Ah yes, the national bird of Wyoming! I didn't see a single mosquito on either of my visits. I did ask why this was when the topic came up on Supertopo a year or so back and the answer was that the first frost of autumn kills them off - which figures as it was mid September to early October both times.
OP OwenM 21 Jul 2014
In reply to OwenM:

Thanks for the replies, I'll just have to find a cheep flight/car deal for next summer.
 rgold 22 Jul 2014
In reply to OwenM:

If you are heading straight to the Wind Rivers/Tetons, Denver is 434 miles from Pindale and Salt Lake City is 234 miles.

If you are going in from Lander, Denver is 422 miles and Salt Lake City is 291 miles. Plus on the SLC to Lander route you go right by the limestone sport climbing area Wild Iris and Sinks Canyon (sport and trad) is near Lander as well.

Connecting flights are probably gonna add a lotta bucks. That said,

There are connecting flights from Denver to Riverton, which is 25 miles from Lander.

There are connecting flights from both Denver and SLC to Jackson Hole, which is the Tetons. The drive from the Tetons to Pinedale is about 80 miles. The Tetons are a good place to do some conditioning for the hike into the Wind Rivers, because the approaches in the Tetons tend to be steep and long, but most of the climbs (all if you are fast) can be done in a day from the valley.
 Dave Williams 22 Jul 2014
In reply to rgold:

> If you are heading straight to the Wind Rivers/Tetons, Denver is 434 miles from Pindale and Salt Lake City is 234 miles.

The drive from Denver is easily do-able in a 8-9 hour driving day, especially if there are 2 drivers. It'd be much cheaper than flying.

> The drive from the Tetons to Pinedale is about 80 miles. The Tetons are a good place to do some conditioning for the hike into the Wind Rivers, because the approaches in the Tetons tend to be steep and long, but most of the climbs (all if you are fast) can be done in a day from the valley.

Agree totally with this advice. The Tetons are a nice contrast to the Wind Rivers too. Wind River walk-ins are long and not to be underestimated. The approach from Big Sandy trailhead to the Cirque of the Towers with climbing gear/ tent/ food etc etc is really hard work (Jackass Pass is about 11000'). Without a big pack, the walk from the trailhead to the Cirque and back is easily manageable in a day, but we broke the journey on the way out, camping by North Lake, and got mauled by mozzies for our trouble.

rgold 22 Jul 2014
In reply to Dave Williams:

> The drive from Denver is easily do-able in a 8-9 hour driving day, especially if there are 2 drivers. It'd be much cheaper than flying.
>

Sure, but the drive from SLC to Pinedale is half the distance and half the driving time. If you can get a flight direct into SLC rather than Denver that would be preferable.

> Wind River walk-ins are long and not to be underestimated. The approach from Big Sandy trailhead to the Cirque of the Towers with climbing gear/ tent/ food etc etc is really hard work (Jackass Pass is about 11000'). Without a big pack, the walk from the trailhead to the Cirque and back is easily manageable in a day.
>

If you're planning to stay in the range for multiple days you'll carrying a pack with full climbing gear, camping gear (in the summer a tent is essential in the Wind Rivers for mosquito protection) and food (bear canisters are needed or else a campsite with trees you can haul food up into). With that type of load, I think most people will want a full day for hiking in to most destinations. Some of these hikes, like the one from Big Sandy to the Cirque, go over high passes as well.

If, like me, you are typically coming from the lowlands with mostly a bunch of cragging for conditioning, then a visit to the Tetons first is an excellent way to prepare for the hike in to the Winds and insure that you get the most out of that part of the trip. In the Tetons, you can stay at the AAC climbers ranch and, if you are so inclined, eat out every night. Even an easy climb like Cube Point (East Ridge is 5.4, 3-5 pitches) has a steep approach up Hanging Canyon and elevation gain from 7,000 feet at the valley floor to the summit at 9600 feet. The East Face of Teewinot is a 4th class scramble (with some snow) that ends at an exciting summit with great views at 12,325 feet. The complete Exum Ridge on the Grand Teton is an American classic (the lower half of the ridge has 5.6-5.7 climbing) and is, for many parties, a two-day trip ending at the 13,766 foot summit of the Grand.

A few days of this and you're in twice as good shape for the Winds.

Alternatively but much more expensively, you can hire a llama packer to take your stuff in and out and cruise with a light daypack.

OP OwenM 22 Jul 2014
In reply to OwenM:

Actually I'll almost certainly be solo, I was thinking more along the lines of walking the high-line trail.
 jon 22 Jul 2014
In reply to OwenM:

> Actually I'll almost certainly be solo, I was thinking more along the lines of walking the high-line trail.

We did this in September 2007. The Highline Trail is a sort of mini John Muir Trail. We took six days. We went in at Big Sandy and out at Green River Lakes Trailhead. There's an outfit in Pinedale that will shuttle your vehicle from Big Sandy to Green River. This one, I think: http://www.greatoutdoorshop.com/

Our stages were:
1. Big Sandy > Cirque of the Towers.
2. Cirque > Texas Pass > Unnamed lake (sorry!)
3. Unnamed lake > North Fork Lake.
4. North Fork Lake > Hat Pass > Fremont Crossing > Lake before Tommy Lake.
5. Lester Pass > Shannon Pass > Peak Lake.
6. Cube Rock Pass > Vista Pass > Green River Lakes.

As rgold says it's not too far from SLC. We actually had a week's climbing in the Uintas above SLC before going over to Pinedale. We rented a biggish car (by our standards) a Dodge Grand Caravan (7 seats) in SLC. The advantage is that the two back rows of seats fold completely flat and you can easily sleep in it, which is what we did for 95% of the time. We've rented the same type of vehicle for the last three US trips from these guys in SLC: http://reservations.ruggedrental.com/vehicles/minivan/ The last trip was in 2012 and the rental cost for a month was just over $1000. Take out insurance with insurance4carhire before you go and you don't get stung with all the bolt-on supplements that rental companies like to charge you.
OP OwenM 22 Jul 2014
In reply to OwenM:

Thanks Jon looks like a useful link.
kiwiflea 07 Aug 2014
In reply to OwenM:

Something else to consider - Lander has the head office of the outdoor ed NOLS there - which means.....the most extensive and healthy dehy bulk options I have ever seen, if you need to stock up for your walk. Just ask anywhere in town - Wild Iris climbing shop is really useful. As for WWR itself - I loved Deep Lake area near haystack, and you can't go past the Cirque as others have said....
grumpytramp 07 Aug 2014
If you are heading there next year I can only offer you one tip ........ invest in a copy of Finis Mitchell wee tome "Wind River Trails"

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wind-River-Trails-Finis-Mitchell/dp/0874806267

A remarkable man who explored every nook and cranny of the Wind River Range.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finis_Mitchell
 veteye 07 Aug 2014
In reply to OwenM:

I remember going with a guide from Jackson Hole mountain guides and certainly the descent into that airfield is brilliant.
I remember there being an eighteen mile walk in to where we wanted to be with a heavy pack.
I also remember getting literally hundreds of mosquito bites especially on my back,having being bitten through my woollen shirt.(They made me buy one in Jackson hole).I thought that putting up with being hot would save me from the mosquitoes,but that was a fallacy.

The one thing with food was that we took telescopic rods and fished for our supper, which took no doing as there were very few other people even at the end of July, and even fewer fishermen. Mind it was in 1984.

Rob
 loose overhang 08 Aug 2014
In reply to OwenM:

We went to Titcomb Basin two years ago, via Pinedale. Originally we planned to walk in and carry everything on our backs, but we decided to hire mules and eventually three of the six of us rode horses in. We hired the outfitter to come back a week later to pick up our baggage. We all agreed that it was money well spent. We ate well and we didn't have to skimp on anything, including climbing hardware.

Three of us did a grand road-trip from Vancouver, BC., and the others flew to SLC from Chicago. There are a number of regional airports nearish, but the cost might be more than hiring a car from SLC.

Bear canisters are mandatory. The bugs were not too bad. We camped on a promontory which provided enough wind to keep the mozzies to a low buzz. The scenery is wonderful. The meadows were full of flowers. You could angle for fish. You could ascend big peaks or do some fine rock climbing, or both.

We took water filtering equipment and spent every evening enjoying our company and views from the beautiful creek near our camp. Pay attention and observe the restrictions which are there to preserve the wilderness.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...