UKC

Chamonix day routes?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 echo34 21 Jul 2014
I will be in the alps for a couple of weeks in August with my climbing buddy and I have a few routes planned with overnight hut stays, but I have allowed several days free to allow for weather etc, so I was looking at having a few day routes planned to fit in as required. Can anyone recommend any easier day routes that can be done without an overnight stay around the Chamonix area, around PD?

I was thinking about Mont Blanc Du Tacul normal route depending on weather/snow conditions, is this route safe to do later in the day in August? Also, Aiguille du Tour caught my attention, although I have seen some guidebooks that say it takes 2 days, whereas others say 1, can anyone confirm if it can be done in a day?
 kevnet 21 Jul 2014
In reply to echo34:

leave early in the morning 6AM and yes then 1 day for Aiguille du Tour
 JimboWizbo 21 Jul 2014
In reply to echo34:

We did Tour in 2 days. Depending on the conditions I would be wary of the glacier and the bergschrund if you will be crossing them any time later than early morning.
 Fredt 21 Jul 2014
In reply to echo34:

I once got the first cable car, up, soloed (don't recommend this) the Tacul, and was back in the Valley by 1pm.
 LakesWinter 21 Jul 2014
In reply to kevnet:

That's not early enough to do the Tour safely unless ur Uli Steck.
 goatee 21 Jul 2014
In reply to echo34:

Basically almost everything from the Midi lift can be done in a day-Midi Plan, Tour Ronde, Chere Couloir etc. Lots of options,
 Mark Haward 22 Jul 2014
In reply to echo34:

For up to date and accurate route conditions / safety visit the OHM in Chamonix or online. Slopes of the Tacul vary so just ask.
Tour can be done in a day if you are reasonably fit. 2 and a half hours to hut then 3-4 hours for the route. Best to leave very early though so not ideal.
Easy day routes in the Cham area: Aiguilles Rouges have some options such as the traverse of the Crochues, Le Belvedere, Gliere Normal Route and Le Buet.
Normal route on the M, playing on the Petite Aiguille Verte, ice climbing around the Mer de Glace.
Petit Mont Blanc, crossing the Valle Blanche and doing the Toules,the little ridge that precedes the Cosmiques and leads into the hut.

Have fun
Rob Stratton 22 Jul 2014
In reply to echo34:

Just got back. Did Aguille du Tour with overnight stay at Albert Premier, which would recommend as per previous responders.
You could also go up Aguiille du Midi, and take the gondola over the Vallee Blanche to the Helbronner side. It's not cheap, and only stops for alpinists at certain times, but its an amazing trip. There are also a number of more accessible PDish day trips you could do from that side: Amoung others Aguille du Toulle an easy but enjoyable short ascent at F, also the S-N traverse of the Marbrees, which is supposed to be F+, but would grade of PD+ myself. (When you reach an improbable wall of the South summit, scramble 8ft down into notch, then go left to take an unlikely looking but easy enough airy traverse that will take you round and then up onto the ridge. This not in guide we had!) Couple of friends may be appreciated. Traverse of Valle Blanche great experience, though check conditions re crevasse risk. My partner broke tho' up to her waist last week, on relatively straight forward appearing ground, well trodden and not too late in the day......

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...