UKC

What conditions make Swanage Greasy?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Fatclimber 21 Jul 2014
As an occasional Swanage climber I have noticed that there are certain times when routes can become horribly greasy. I suspect this is something to do with humidity, but have never managed to pin it down. Could somebody please explain what conditions cause this (and as an added extra why)?

Cheers
 Climber_Bill 21 Jul 2014
In reply to Fatclimber:

Swanage greasiness is usually caused by humidity and condensation from the sea. Ironically, during the summer, the lower cliffs tend to suffer from condensation. This is because there is more evaporation caused by the higher temps and then condensation on the cooler rock nearer the water. It usually gets better the higher up a route you get, but low down can be a problem, particularly on crags such as the promenade and Palace of the Brine and Subluminal.

An onshore breeze often reduces the problem, though can then increase the swell.

Rich.
OP Fatclimber 21 Jul 2014
In reply to Richard White:

That makes sense. Thanks
 Ciderslider 21 Jul 2014
In reply to Fatclimber:
And don't forget the puffins Steve, they can make it a bit greasy

Are you off down there soon then M8
Post edited at 20:15
OP Fatclimber 21 Jul 2014
In reply to Ciderslider:

Hi Mark. Was down at the weekend and couldn't hold anything on Botany Bay, despite having done it before. Had to Shunt out.
 Ciderslider 22 Jul 2014
In reply to Fatclimber:
Ah shite mate, that's a bit of a bugger for the first couple of moves (even when it's dry)

Are you off to Lundy this year
Post edited at 23:14
OP Fatclimber 22 Jul 2014
In reply to Ciderslider:

Probably not going to do Lundy this year. Have hardly done any trad at all (did my back in and lost 6 weeks). Going to do a week in the Wye Valley in August instead.
 BusyLizzie 23 Jul 2014
In reply to Fatclimber:

<< Was down at the weekend and couldn't hold anything on Botany Bay, despite having done it before. Had to Shunt out.>>

... and then you wonder why I say Swanage is scary!?

L

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...