UKC

Queyras/Ubaye/Mercantour walking advice sought.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 21 Jul 2014
We're going to the southern Alps soon, mainly for cycling but it would be a shame not to get off the tarmac while we're there. We'll be driving so won't be tied to local transport.

Any recommendations for guidebooks and 1 or 2 day walking routes/easy peaks?

For the most part we'll be in Barcelonette but will also be around Guillestre/Briancon area.

Many thanks in advance for any advice/info.
 Doug 21 Jul 2014
In reply to Removed User:

I've visited that area several times, winter & summer. I've never bothered with a guidebook for summer, just pieced together routes from the IGN 1:25 000 map.

One of my favourite places is Fouillouse in the upper Ubaye, maybe partly for personal reasons but if you've never been there before don't miss the Queyras
altirando 21 Jul 2014

Buy French guidebooks such as the Glenat RandoEvasion range, under 15 euros, bookshops in Embrun, don't know about Guillestre. Diagrams if you can't read French. Pain de Sucre is an easy 3200m walk.
Valley de la Claree north of Briancon is very pretty. Try cycling to its head - cars are normally banned above Nevache village.
 Doug 21 Jul 2014
In reply to altirando:

> Valley de la Claree north of Briancon is very pretty. Try cycling to its head - cars are normally banned above Nevache village.

I've always preferred the Val Clarée in winter, but its worth a visit at any time of the year

But there is a shuttle bus, so its possible to leave the car at the car park, get the bus up the valley then walk back - last time I did this it was by the path on the east side a few hundred metres above the valley base, with lunch at the Refuge Ricou and a detour up to one of the lakes (lac blanc ? haven't checked a map)
 Daysleeper 21 Jul 2014

Walked up Mont Guillaume last week, view from the top is amazing. Was 13.5 km round trip from the car park, took 5 hrs (with 3 pre-teen children). Well signposted and water available half way. You can make it longer by continuing round the summits.
altirando 22 Jul 2014
In reply to Daysleeper:

I am told this walk is a sort of season opener for locals. Bouncy drive to the carpark but yes, great views on top. On the basis of two visits to the Claree (!)I am going to suggest the best walk back from the Nevache navette is over three minicols - Cerces, Ponsonniere and the Beraude, the last path taking you slanting down above an amazing blue lake hemmed in by the mountainsides. Really great scenery and usually excellent weather.
Removed User 22 Jul 2014
In reply to altirando:

Thanks all, that's given me a few a ideas and I've had a google. Keep them coming, especially any must-visit places in the Mercantour.
Spratz 23 Jul 2014

I've recently returned from the Mercantour.

You should definitely visit the Vallee des Merveilles for the prehistoric rock engravings. It's popular and the refuge tends to be crowded but you can book in advance using CAF's excellent web booking system.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...