UKC

Fontainebleaue guide book

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 michdudeada 21 Jul 2014
Could some one tell me the best guide book/books for Fontainebleau.
Super Psyched to be getting out there September and October.

Thanks,
Michael
 JLS 21 Jul 2014
In reply to michdudeada:

This is hard to beat for a bit of everything....
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fontainebleau-Fun-Bloc-Bouldering-Photo-guide/dp/18...
 Enty 21 Jul 2014
In reply to JLS:

Just about to use that for the fist time tomorrow. Will keep you posted.

E
 Ramblin dave 21 Jul 2014
In reply to michdudeada:

We've got the Purple Book (now the White Book) - Fontainebleau Climbs. It's fine - it has a load of areas and for each one tells you what circuits are there (with lists of problems), how scary and highball stuff is, whether stuff is exposed to wind and whether it's shady and then gives you a back of the envelope map style map to find the place (which normally gets you there in the end) and a plan view of the blocs so you can find stuff. It hasn't got lots of topos, inspirational photos masses of information about individual problems or anything much else, but it's got everything you need.

Whenever we've been we've had a few copies of the purple book and a few copies of Fun Bloc and the purple book is the one that we fight over...
 winhill 21 Jul 2014
In reply to michdudeada:

this is the fontainbleau climbs one

https://www.alpkit.com/products/fontainebleau-climbs
 seankenny 22 Jul 2014
In reply to JLS:

I've found the Jingo Wobbly Font guides to be almost impossible to use in practice. The plethora of little icons and the frankly idiotic way the different areas are ordered are the main problems, for me.

I use the purple/white guide instead. Much better.
 Bluebird 22 Jul 2014
In reply to michdudeada:

used for the jongo guide for the first time last week - once you get your head around it, having spent the previous night studying it over a beer. it's actually pretty good on the ground/moving about.
In truth, I found using Jingo and the white (ex-purple) books in combo really helpful. Far cry from the old blue book from OTE years back - how we struggled to find anything with that!)
 Ffion Blethyn 22 Jul 2014
In reply to Bluebird:

I remember struggling with the Cordee escalades et randonees years ago. What few maps it contained were bereft of scale.

And it was all in French :-/
 Ramblin dave 22 Jul 2014
In reply to Ffion Blethyn:

To be fair, the maps in the White / Purple book are pretty bad. But most of the approaches are along the lines of "walk along the track, turn left and then the boulders are on your right", so it wasn't a big issue.
 seankenny 22 Jul 2014
In reply to Bluebird:

> Far cry from the old blue book from OTE years back - how we struggled to find anything with that!

I was going to say that the OTE guide is one of the best, but it's pointless as the OP can't buy one...!

fraserbarrett 22 Jul 2014
In reply to Enty:

Just be careful with the way they rotate the maps, seemingly at random to fit them on the page. (they do give arrows to show the rotation direction, but I found it confusing at times).

Other than that I highly recommend the book.
 Bluebird 22 Jul 2014
In reply to michdudeada:

good point re Jingo - North changes orientation on the page from the main map to the circuit diagrams. having been confused by this I now understand why they do it, so that the circuit flows correctly from the start.. it just feels odd on the page the first few times.
sadly, too much blood sweat and tears vested in the OTE book, so hanging onto it for sentimental reasons!
OP michdudeada 23 Jul 2014
In reply to michdudeada:

Thanks guys, this is really helpful.

Looking forward to using one and sending!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...