UKC

Areas near the Dolomites with better weather

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mpendleton 21 Jul 2014
my friend is in the dolomites at the moment and rain has set in. Does anyone have any ideas of other areas; I know about Arco and have heard about La Spezia (I imagine that is four hours away).
 AlanLittle 21 Jul 2014
In reply to mpendleton:

Friends of mine who have been to both much prefer the Locarno area to Arco, but it's lot further from the Dolomites
 Mike-W-99 21 Jul 2014
In reply to mpendleton:
We went to Aufhofen on our way home yesterday. Great granite crag, would occupy a day.

Its to the north near Bruneck and easy enough to find. Couldn't comment on the weather forecast.
Post edited at 23:06
andyathome 21 Jul 2014
In reply to mpendleton:

Arco. Or the Fruili crags
 Fiona Reid 22 Jul 2014
In reply to mpendleton:
If he/she is prepared to walk or go on via ferratas the weather may not be a total show stopper.

We've just got back and the forecast for the first 9 days wasn't great at all, snow, rain etc but we still did something every day. We found there was often nowhere near as much rain as forecast with the mornings often being much drier than the rest of the day. It also dries pretty fast when the sun does come out.

Fingers crossed he/she gets some good weather.
Post edited at 07:53
 tjekel 22 Jul 2014
In reply to mpendleton:

Trieste and osp ... hopping into the Med ...

Hi,

This time of the year usually everything that's NOT in the mountains is usually too hot for climbing. Having said that, this year's summer... can't really be called summer by Italian standards. I'm based in NW Italy and I'm getting frustrated driving like mad to Orco, Switzerland, France, Finale, looking for a dry piece of rock. I'd say if climbing is a must then hang on somewhere in the mountains... it can't rain forever... it really depends on how many days you have left...

Otherwise, give it up and enjoy the sun and beach life From where you are drive to Croatia/Slovenia, better sea and cheaper life.

Ciao,

Nic
Post edited at 14:55
 David Rose 25 Jul 2014
In reply to mpendleton:

It's been very nice in the Picos de Europa. Long way but fantastic climbing...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...