UKC

Collecting water during Welsh 3000s

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Stani49 21 Jul 2014
Hi folks,

I'm soloing the Welsh 3000's in < 24 hours in a couple of weeks without a support vehicle (apart from a lift home at the finish line) and want to pack light and fast, collecting water along the way rather than carrying 4 or 5 litres with me.

I've used sterilising tablets in the past but just wondered whether this will suffice when collecting from streams etc? Has anybody used a similar method?

Thanks for any pointers!

wilkie14c 21 Jul 2014
In reply to Stani49:

It'll be tough if this great weather holds out but you can get water at the Nant Peris campsite and the Tryfan campsite. Perhaps consider doing it 'backwards' so the long first section can be done early in the day before the heat hits and then the Tryfan/Glyders/Snowdon section done with the heat of the afternoon but easier to gain water.
Not exactly an answer to your question but an option to consider maybe.
 Dom Whillans 21 Jul 2014
In reply to Stani49:

i've never had problems with drinking from streams in snowdonia... but then i only take water from high up and not in the valleys. not sure that there's much in the UK that can do you damage? a bit of sheep piss probably just gives the water it's delicious hill flavour!
Good luck with the 3000s btw.
 Graeme Hammond 22 Jul 2014
In reply to Stani49:

I've always hid food and drink and clothing some bushes and then collected any rubbish and belonging at the end
 Mark Kemball 22 Jul 2014
In reply to Stani49:

The problem is you are following ridges most of the way, so you only really come across streams when you drop down towards the valleys (unless you divert). I did this years ago, but found the Carneddau ridges hard work - I was getting very thirsty by the end.
 Paul Robertson 22 Jul 2014
In reply to Stani49:

I have taken water from the outflow of Ffynnon Lloer below Pen yr ole wen.
I have also found water on Tryfan and on Snowdon, but not at this time of year.
You could stash some supplies at Ogwen and at Nant Peris before you set off.

Bob 22 Jul 2014
In reply to Stani49:

There's a spring on the side of Carnedd Llewellyn on the traverse to Yr Elen - don't know how reliable it is though.
pasbury 22 Jul 2014
In reply to Stani49:

Assuming you're starting on Snowdon the only problem is the Carneddau. I took sterilising drops and a 1l bottle, filled up in Cwm Glas Mawr, Cwm Dudodyn (under Elidir), Llyn-y-Cwn (this is the one I wanted the steritabs for), outflow of Llyn Bochlwyd and then drank a shed load at Ogwen Caff and filled up there. That was the last fill until the end (except for a tot of whisky at Foel Fras ).
I didn't do the traverse to Yr Elen so don't know about that spring.

If I did it again I'd do exactly the same except I'd buy an extra litre at Ogwen to keep me going over the carneddau.

Of course many people don't go to Ogwen caff preferring to follow the Afon Lloer and east ridge of Pen yr Ole Wen and thus avoiding the hellish grunt up it from Pont Pen-y-Benglog. I was totally unsupported though so really needed to stock up. An alternative would be a stash somewhere near Glan Dena
 Red Rover 22 Jul 2014
In reply to Stani49:

I did it without a support car but the day before I made a stash near the cromlech boulders and one in Ogwen, then the day after I went back to take away what I didn't use. Then youdon't have to carry much.
 ben b 22 Jul 2014
In reply to Bob:

I've found it on one of the hottest days of the year. I think it's pretty reliable.

To the OP: have a look in turnbull and Clayton's book, which details everywhere to get water. And much other useful stuff

B
 Andy Cloquet 22 Jul 2014
In reply to Dom Whillans:

A cheeky suggestion once said that Scotch was given its distinctive variations in taste and colour through the qualities of sheep-piss in the waters supplying each distillery: it's only a post-Victorian marketing ploy which anchored on the idea of peat and other soils giving whiskey its myriad of flavours.
baron 22 Jul 2014
In reply to Stani49:
On my couple of attempts the problem was too much water, most of it dropping out of the sky!
Some good advice from other posters, good luck with your attempt.

Pmc
 Banned User 77 22 Jul 2014
In reply to Stani49:

I never sterilised in snowdonia.

Dropping off snowdon down cam glas mawr there is plenty.. then there is a tap by the road in Nant.. frequent small streams as you ascend elixir, a reliable stream flowing into llyn y cwn as you climb glider fawr.. On the carneddau there isn't much, but the spring Bob mentioned as you traverse llewelyn is fairly reliable.. I don't think I ever found it dry..

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...