UKC

Alpine huts with great easy and mid grade climbs

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jimmy O 22 Jul 2014
My buddy and I are taking our wives to the Alps this year. So, I am looking for suggestions of mountain huts with interesting walkins, a couple of easy routes (up to PD for a first timer? - although maybe that is another conversation?) and at least one more meaty route (AD or D) for my buddy and I to have a go at.

We have a car so don't mind relocating on rest days... Not bothered about the magic 4000, would prefer good routes.

We are looking at the valais region as I have been there a few times before, have the guidebooks and maps already and it seems to fit the bill.

To kick off, I would suggest Moiry hut with Pt de Mourti, Pigne de la LĂ© and Grand Cornier. Any others?

Thanks!
J.
 SiWood 22 Jul 2014
In reply to Jimmy O:
The Moiry hut was going to be my suggestion. I was up there last weekend. Easy walkin and a good range of objectives. Other possibilities in valais would include the Bertol hut and the almegeler hut. Both have routes PD to AD.
 Happy Haggis 22 Jul 2014
In reply to Jimmy O:

Orny and Trient huts both good options - Aig du Tour, Tete Blanche, Pt Fourche all good objectives for starting out. Also good rock routes out the back of the Orny hut and easy proximity to glacier for glacier skills practice. Lovely hut walk in too from Champex - just check the chair lift is running.
 Happy Haggis 22 Jul 2014
In reply to Jimmy O: just thinking, Dix hut also good. Lovely hut in stunning location, with options like La Luette, Pigne d'Arolla and Mt Blanc de Cheilon all accessible.,you can access from the dam by walking if you don't fancy the ladders on the Pas de Chevres (the way you access from Arolla).

SonyaM 23 Jul 2014
In reply to Happy Haggis:

> Orny and Trient huts both good options - Aig du Tour, Tete Blanche, Pt Fourche all good objectives for starting out. Also good rock routes out the back of the Orny hut and easy proximity to glacier for glacier skills practice. Lovely hut walk in too from Champex - just check the chair lift is running.

I'd agree with this. I've only been to the Alps once so far and that's where I went to start off with and it worked out well. Got to do a bit of rock climbing to start, then glacier stuff after that.
screeweasel 23 Jul 2014
In reply to Jimmy O:

We just visited saas fe. the weismeis hut and hohaas hut are great for beginners - Weismeis, Lagginhorn and fischerhorn are all good routes from there - with uplift to the hut (free if you stay in the valley for 2 nights or more)
 LakesWinter 23 Jul 2014
In reply to screeweasel:

And rock climbing on the Jegihorn for a shorter day too, yeah good suggestion. SImilarly the Almageller hut on the other side of the Weissmies has a great range of routes too
OP Jimmy O 23 Jul 2014
In reply to Jimmy O:

Great! Thanks everyone, I will have to spend the evening tonight with my guide books looking up all of these places.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...