UKC

prescription swimming goggles!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Potato 22 Jul 2014
I have just discovered that such things exist!
Ive opted for the cheaper ones on ebay for now for £7.95 but there is also a Speedo Mariner prescription for £19 which looks good.

The downside of the less expensive ones are that both lenses have the same prescription, but for me at least there is only 0.75 difference between both and whilst swimming I doubt Ill notice much anyway.

This comes as quite a bonus as it saves the faff of contacts and means I can see where Im going at last after many years guesswork.
 Jon Stewart 22 Jul 2014
In reply to ow arm:

Yes, good things. Daily disposable contacts are just about OK, but reusables are a serious no-no for swimming.

I'd advise people generally to goggles properly made up by an optician rather than buying online, but £8 is hard to argue with!
 Rob Exile Ward 22 Jul 2014
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Perhaps if he spent a bit more time and money at an opticians he would have found out about them a bit earlier... he'll be discovering prescription sunnies next.

And who know what wonders he could discover when he reaches his 40s...
OP The Potato 22 Jul 2014
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

dude ive been wearing glasses since I was about 4, and have spent a fortune on fancy eyewear. Never have I seen ads for goggles and no optician ever mentioned them.

keep such comments to yourself as they are not constructive
 Rob Exile Ward 23 Jul 2014
In reply to ow arm:

Sorry, but I WAS trying to be constructive. If you've been wearing specs since you were 6, and no optician has mentioned rx goggles, then you've been going to the wrong optician. End of.

It really p*sses me of how much good stuff there is out there - different types of contact lenses, ortho k, swim goggles, prescription sunglasses etc etc and so few people seem to know about them. And the chains - Boots, Specsavers, Asda etc have no interest in discussing them because it does not fit their business model, which is to flog specs as quickly and simply as possible.

And as I say, your vision will change in a few years time, so you will have a whole new set of issues to deal with - it's called presbyopia, check it out. Then you really will benefit from having a decent relationship with an optician who is able to take the time to discus the options available to you.
In reply to Jon Stewart:

They are handy as a spare pair of glasses too. Very chic.
 Little Brew 23 Jul 2014
In reply to ow arm:

first thought - Notting Hill film scene at the cinema....

Second though - Off to search ebay! i hate not being able to see in the pool, same for hubby! it puts him off swimming!
crisp 23 Jul 2014
In reply to ow arm:

Thanks for this posting. I have ordered a pair.
OP The Potato 23 Jul 2014
In reply to ow arm:

Glad Im not the only one, I thought it would be handy for others too.
 Jon Stewart 23 Jul 2014

> And the chains - Boots, Specsavers, Asda etc have no interest in discussing them because it does not fit their business model, which is to flog specs as quickly and simply as possible.

Some chains are better than others. Speccies is the ultimate in fast, cheap and potentially crap and I guess the grocers are going down that road too.
 Clarence 23 Jul 2014
> ...And the chains - Boots, Specsavers, Asda etc have no interest in discussing them because it does not fit their business model, which is to flog specs as quickly and simply as possible.

Specsavers sell prescription swimming goggles but only the custom made ones. My local Specsavers told me about the ready made ones on the net as I was only an occasional swimmer. I pretty much always have my free second pair of glasses made up as polarised sunglasses for fishing. If you ask them then they will help. I would guess that the same is true of pretty much any chain optician.

The goggles I use are these http://www.prescription-swimming-goggles.co.uk/OptiSwim.html and I have been very happy with them.
Post edited at 10:01
 Wingnut 23 Jul 2014
In reply to ow arm:

The downside, unfortunately, is that you can see the dubious stains on the bottom of the pool and all the unidentified floating objects in the water. Yuck.

(Got my first pair of prescription goggles a while back. Nice to be a bit easier to avoid crashing into people, but I think I'd rather have remained in blissful ignorance otherwise.)
 Clarence 23 Jul 2014
In reply to Wingnut:

But you do know where you can stare and where you can't. When I used to swim blind there was always the danger of inadvertent "perving".

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...