UKC

Israel Target Al Jazeera Office In Gaza

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Timmd 22 Jul 2014

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/gaza-crisis-israeli-military-fire-warning-shots-in...

I find this troubling.

The killing is too of course.
 woolsack 22 Jul 2014
In reply to Timmd:

Yes, I can see they wouldn't like any information about the massacre coming out
 lummox 23 Jul 2014
In reply to Timmd:

More troubling than them firing tank shells at hospitals and killing bed-ridden patients ?
 Shani 23 Jul 2014
In reply to lummox:
> (In reply to Timmd)
>
> More troubling than them firing tank shells at hospitals and killing bed-ridden patients ?

Or more troubling than shelling four children playing football on a big, wide, open beach in daylight with excellent visibillity, from a warship bristling with state-of-the-art reconnaissance technology and crewed by experienced military personnel?
Removed User 23 Jul 2014
In reply to Shani:

Or the guided missile the week before that hit a cafe full of people watching the world cup.
 Shani 23 Jul 2014
In reply to Removed User:

It's almost as if the IDF are visiting a Holocaust on the people of Gaza...imagine such a thing!
In reply to Shani:
> It's almost as if the IDF are visiting a Holocaust on the people of Gaza...imagine such a thing!

It has more similarities to the Warsaw Ghetto. You really need to see this
Dr Norman G. Finkelstein Reply to a Jewish Woman www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=673202166081794
Post edited at 11:17
 Mike Highbury 23 Jul 2014
In reply to Lord of Starkness:

> It has more similarities to the Warsaw Ghetto. You really need to see this

> Dr Norman G. Finkelstein Reply to a Jewish Woman www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=673202166081794

The concentration and then systematic annihilation of an entire people?

Oh, I do agree.
In reply to Mike Highbury:

Politicians only seem to learn from the selected bits of history that suit their own narrative.

If only we could uninvent religions - then there would be no "God on my side / My god is the only true god and my way of worship is the only true way" kind of rhetoric, and people could see that the politicians only true motives are greed and hanging on to power!
Removed User 23 Jul 2014

That was really good.
 Bruce Hooker 23 Jul 2014

> The concentration and then systematic annihilation of an entire people?

What's Gaza but a concentration camp? And what has happened to the Palestinians except expulsion and slow annihilation? It's slower than the nazis, I agree, but that's to keep the support of wonderful Western world... only 650 in a what is it, a couple of weeks?
 Shani 23 Jul 2014
In reply to Bruce Hooker:

> What's Gaza but a concentration camp? And what has happened to the Palestinians except expulsion and slow annihilation? It's slower than the nazis, I agree, but that's to keep the support of wonderful Western world... only 650 in a what is it, a couple of weeks?

On average about 40 Palestinians died in Gaza in the first 14 days of this 'operation'. Odd that the death of 300 Westerners in a single incident is deemed somehow more tragic and newsworthy.

The real hypocrisy is that Russia supplying a Buk used to kill those 300 passengers is bringing much political power to bear, and yet those that arm Israel with weapons which yielded the 40 deaths a day average (over that first fortnight), are beyond any kind of political scrutiny or mainstream-media analysis.
 seankenny 23 Jul 2014
In reply to Shani:

> It's almost as if the IDF are visiting a Holocaust on the people of Gaza...imagine such a thing!

If you wanted to make a less emotive argument that this is a genocide, try comparing it to Rwanda or the Armenian Genocide. Or possibly to the liquidation of the Kulaks and the Ukrainian famine. In all cases you'll see that there are very few similarities.

Horrible as Israel's actions are, it is not a genocide.
 Shani 23 Jul 2014
In reply to seankenny:

I don't think that my statement is particularly emotive - and what is going on in Gaza would appear to fit the description of Genocide wouldn't you agree? (http://bit.ly/1rKjYfj):

Genocide is the systematic destruction of all or part of a racial, ethnic, religious or national group via the

(a) Killing members of the group;
(b) Causing serious bodily or mental harm to members of the group;
(c) Deliberately inflicting on the group conditions of life calculated to bring about its physical destruction in whole or in part;
(d) Imposing measures intended to prevent births within the group
 seankenny 23 Jul 2014
In reply to Shani:

It's "in part" that's the sticking point tho, isn't it? There are 1.8m people in Gaza, currently 600 deaths. That's a very tiny percentage.

Consider the blockade. Whilst vile and demoralising (and perhaps ultimately pointless for Israel too), it isn't "calculated to bring about its [the group's] physical destruction". On the contrary, it's designed to keep people alive, struggling but alive:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2012/oct/17/israeli-military-calorie-limit...

The Soviets killed millions of people in Ukraine. Millons of Tutsis were slaughtered in Rwanda. Palestine quite simply isn't the same situation.

Still, as long as you enjoy emoting, that's what counts.
 woolsack 23 Jul 2014
In reply to seankenny:

This has been ongoing since the 40's. That is bad enough
 seankenny 23 Jul 2014
In reply to woolsack:

Genoicide is a particular event tho, isn't it, with a strict definition. As is famine, for instance. That's because calling something a genocide has lots of real world consequences, so we'd better make sure genocide is defined. Israel/Palestine quite simply isn't meeting that definition.
In reply to seankenny:

I'm sure Israel would like to move harder and faster on Gaza -- it's rate of action over many years has been influenced by the strength (or lack of) amongst it's near Arab neighbours, and just how much it thinks it can get away with before it risks losing popular US support!
 Shani 23 Jul 2014
In reply to seankenny:
> Genoicide is a particular event tho, isn't it, with a strict definition. As is famine, for instance. That's because calling something a genocide has lots of real world consequences, so we'd better make sure genocide is defined. Israel/Palestine quite simply isn't meeting that definition.

No, genocide is defined as per the criteria in the link above. Not by YOUR definition. Not by your determination of an 'event', its start-point and its end-point.

With regards to famine, Ireland's Great Famine occurred between 1845–1852.
Post edited at 15:09
 seankenny 23 Jul 2014
In reply to Shani:
> No, genocide is defined as per the criteria in the link above. Not by YOUR definition.

Erm, yes, I think you have misunderstood me. I'm aruging it doesn't meet the definition which you quoted, and which I agree is the definition we should go by (being as it's the Geneva Convention and all).

>Not by your determination of an 'event', its start-point and its end-point.

> With regards to famine, Ireland's Great Famine occurred between 1845–1852.

So, with neither of us being lawyers, do we have more information on what international law says about duration of a genocide? Or, alternatively, do you believe that since 1967 the number of Palestinians killed by Israel meets the "in part" section of the definition? Has what they've done "been calculated to bring about its physical destruction"?
Post edited at 15:39
 seankenny 23 Jul 2014

> I'm sure Israel would like to move harder and faster on Gaza -- it's rate of action over many years has been influenced by the strength (or lack of) amongst it's near Arab neighbours, and just how much it thinks it can get away with before it risks losing popular US support!

Well, maybe. So you're saying it would like to have a genocide, but doesn't dare? I would like to climb Archangel, but don't dare. Nobody is as yet commenting about my ascent however.
 Shani 23 Jul 2014
In reply to seankenny:
Even before this latest round of bombing, The Goldstone Report (http://bit.ly/1obypsJ), suggest possible crimes against humanity by Israel (http://bit.ly/1A61T07).

To go that far, given the political clout behind Israel, that is massively significant.

Furthermore, given the ongoing bombing of civilian residential targets, public spaces (beaches), and hospitals, and the Blockade (air, land, naval, fishing, energy and water), I think the following qualifies:

(c) Deliberately inflicting on the group conditions of life calculated to bring about its physical destruction in whole or in part;

Archangel is technically HVS over an increasingly bad drop!
Post edited at 16:06
 Bruce Hooker 23 Jul 2014
In reply to seankenny:

> Genoicide is a particular event ... we'd better make sure genocide is defined. Israel/Palestine quite simply isn't meeting that definition.

The historical facts disagree with you, compare Palestine in the latter part of the 19th century and Palestine today, a simple comparison of the figures, remember Jews made up about 4% of the population then, is absolute proof that genocide has taken place. It is not total yet but it doesn't have to be to fit in with the term genocide - there are still quite a lot of Armenians left - I know I live with one! - and quite a few Jews but who would deny that these people suffered a genocide in the 20th century? Genocide includes the displacing people and destroying their towns and villages too, all of which the Israelis* have done, and are still doing.

Have a google on population breakdown in Palestine by over the last century or so and you'll find graphs which show the change absolute clearly.

*by Israelis I mean Jewish Israelis, of course.

seankenny 23 Jul 2014
In reply to Shani:

> Even before this latest round of bombing, The Goldstone Report (http://bit.ly/1obypsJ), suggest possible crimes against humanity by Israel (http://bit.ly/1A61T07).

> To go that far, given the political clout behind Israel, that is massively significant.

I'm not arguing that this isn't important, or that Israel has not broken international laws, the Geneva convention, etc. I'm arguing that it hasn't committed a genocide.

> Furthermore, given the ongoing bombing of civilian residential targets, public spaces (beaches), and hospitals, and the Blockade (air, land, naval, fishing, energy and water), I think the following qualifies:

> (c) Deliberately inflicting on the group conditions of life calculated to bring about its physical destruction in whole or in part;

Well, clearly they are not bringing about destruction of the Palestinians "in whole". What about "in part"? Well, as I said above, it's a very very small part. 0.03% according to my back-of-the-envelope calculations.

To put that into context, around 70% of Tutsis were killed in Rwanda.

Shani 23 Jul 2014
In reply to seankenny:

> (In reply to Shani)
> Well, clearly they are not bringing about destruction of the Palestinians "in whole". What about "in part"? Well, as I said above, it's a very very small part. 0.03% according to my back-of-the-envelope calculations.
>
> To put that into context, around 70% of Tutsis were killed in Rwanda.

The Tutsis were killed with greater immediacy and largely by machete. The conditions inforced upon the Palestinians are more gradual and evidently destructive to the point of being considered a crime against humanity by an independent UN report.
Post edited at 16:47
 seankenny 23 Jul 2014
> The historical facts disagree with you, compare Palestine in the latter part of the 19th century and Palestine today, a simple comparison of the figures, remember Jews made up about 4% of the population then, is absolute proof that genocide has taken place. It is not total yet but it doesn't have to be to fit in with the term genocide - there are still quite a lot of Armenians left - I know I live with one! - and quite a few Jews but who would deny that these people suffered a genocide in the 20th century? Genocide includes the displacing people and destroying their towns and villages too, all of which the Israelis* have done, and are still doing.

Bruce, yes you are right it doesn't have to be destruction of the whole group - see my comments above about it being "in part".

Let's just look at the definition again:
...any of the following acts committed with intent to destroy, in whole or in part, a national, ethnical, racial or religious group, as such:

(d) Imposing measures intended to prevent births within the group;
(e) Forcibly transferring children of the group to another group.

Now you are right about Palestinians being forced to move but that doesn't actually make it a genocide, according to the UN's convention. Unless you want to argue that making people homeless en-masse is "calculated to bring about their physical destruction" - I think you'd be on dodgy ground with that. Tho of course I'd love to read what an actual lawyer has to say on this.

Plus, if I read it correctly, there must be "intent" as well. This is where your argument falls down, as you are considering Palestine since late 19th century, when clearly Israel didn't exist. So we should really only be considering 1947 onwards, and how can you show intent when the government has changed many, many times over the course of Israel's existence?

> Have a google on population breakdown in Palestine by over the last century or so and you'll find graphs which show the change absolute clearly.

You can show the same in Detroit over the last 15 years, but that is not proof of a Motown Genocide.
Post edited at 16:34
 seankenny 23 Jul 2014
In reply to Shani:
> The Tutsi's were killed with greater immediacy and largely by machete. The conditions inforced upon the Palestinians are more gradual and evidently destructive to the point of being considered a crime against humanity by an independent UN report.

I'm not arguing that - as I said above, I agree that Israel has broken all sorts of international laws. All I'm saying is that it hasn't committed a genocide, and I think in my comparision with the Tutsis you completely miss my point.

There is another point, too, of course: by shouting "genocide" like a bunch of enraged sixth formers, you do you cause no good whatsoever.

Post edited at 16:39
 Shani 23 Jul 2014
In reply to seankenny:
> (In reply to Shani)
> I'm not arguing that - as I said above, I agree that Israel has broken all sorts of international laws. All I'm saying is that it hasn't committed a genocide, and I think in my comparision with the Tutsis you completely miss my point.

You are reducing the debate to one of death and statistics. You've failed to engage with the Goldstone report above. The Israli political intention if clear when we look at acadmeics like Mordechai Kedar (lecturer on Arabic literature at Bar Ilan University), who believes the sisters and mothers of Palestinian “terrorists” should be raped, or Moshe Feiglin (deputy speaker of the Israeli parliament and a member of Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s Likud party), who urged the Israeli army to kill Palestinians in Gaza indiscriminately. There are few in the Israeli media or political system countering this view. So when we see bombs dropping on Palestinians...by the fruits and all that.

> There is another point, too, of course: by shouting "genocide" like a bunch of enraged sixth formers, you do you cause no good whatsoever.

A fatuous and emotive comment. That the death rate isn't sufficiently quick for you does not support your opinion. Again, see 'destruction' above.

> PS. Grocer's apple. There's a difference between plural and possession you know.

A typo! Check my other posts where you will see I am usually rather rigorous on this matter.
 seankenny 23 Jul 2014
In reply to Shani:
> You are reducing the debate to one of death and statistics. You've failed to engage with the Goldstone report above. The Israli political intention if clear when we look at acadmeics like Mordechai Kedar (lecturer on Arabic literature at Bar Ilan University), who believes the sisters and mothers of Palestinian “terrorists” should be raped, or Moshe Feiglin (deputy speaker of the Israeli parliament and a member of Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s Likud party), who urged the Israeli army to kill Palestinians in Gaza indiscriminately. There are few in the Israeli media or political system countering this view. So when we see bombs dropping on Palestinians...by the fruits and all that.

Well, I couldn't comment upon the whole of Israel, and whether liberal Israelis are opposed to Mr Kedar (tho Haaretz writes: "[Mr Kedar's] organization is engaged in a battle against professors identified with the left" - so I'm guessing there might be a divergence of opinion).

Nor do I deny that the report doesn't make some extremely serious allegations.

What I do take issue on is your idea that a genocide has or is taking place. Quite rightly, you were the first to post the relevant criteria under international law. All I'm saying is that the current situation does not meet those criteria, ie of the destruction of an ethnic or national group.

To put it into some context, accoring to Wikipedia 8 - 10% of Germans were killed in WW2 (going by the 1937 borders). Does that mean the Allies were "intending to kill, in whole or in part, a national group"? By your argument, it does - as they killed a far bigger proportion of Palestinians killed by Isreal. If 0.03% killed counts as "intending to kill... in part, a national group" then killing 8% of them certainly does.

I'm sorry to reduce this to a statistical argument, but if you want to argue that it's a genocide, then you need to produce an argument that what is happening fits those criteria. My argument is that it doesn't, and I believe I have the facts to prove it.

I'm not denying that Israel isn't committing some atrocious, horrendous acts. This conflict is making me, too, sad and angry. But that doesn't make it a genocide.

> A fatuous and emotive comment. That the death rate isn't sufficiently quick for you does not support your opinion. Again, see 'destruction' above.

No, it is not the rate, it is both the issue of intent and the "physical element" which I believe are lacking. I don't think you can prove that the Gaza blockade, for example, is a genocidal act - even though the UN and lots of lawyers believe it's against international law.

> A typo! Check my other posts where you will see I am usually rather rigorous on this matter.

Fair cop.
Post edited at 17:03
OP Timmd 23 Jul 2014
In reply to lummox:
> More troubling than them firing tank shells at hospitals and killing bed-ridden patients ?

Cough 'The killing is too of course'

What is it about UKC which makes people ask things like your post?

Obviously, killing is troubling, including firing tank shells at hospitals.

It's weird, this forum.
Post edited at 17:25
 seankenny 23 Jul 2014
In reply to Timmd:

> Cough 'The killing is too of course'

> What is it about UKC which makes people ask things like your post?

Typing is easier than thinking. Or reading. Or possibly reading, followed by thinking. Which would be the ideal.

> It's weird, this forum.

You've only just noticed?!

OP Timmd 23 Jul 2014
In reply to seankenny:

I think it's only just started bugging me. ()
 balmybaldwin 23 Jul 2014
In reply to Timmd:

Read this today...

They call us now.
Before they drop the bombs.
The phone rings
and someone who knows my first name
calls and says in perfect Arabic
“This is David.”
And in my stupor of sonic booms and glass shattering symphonies
still smashing around in my head
I think "Do I know any Davids in Gaza?"
They call us now to say
Run.
You have 58 seconds from the end of this message.
Your house is next.
They think of it as some kind of war time courtesy.
It doesn’t matter that
there is nowhere to run to.
It means nothing that the borders are closed
and your papers are worthless
and mark you only for a life sentence
in this prison by the sea
and the alleyways are narrow
and there are more human lives
packed one against the other
more than any other place on earth
Just run.
We aren’t trying to kill you.
It doesn’t matter that
you can’t call us back to tell us
the people we claim to want aren’t in your house
that there’s no one here
except you and your children
who were cheering for Argentina
sharing the last loaf of bread for this week
counting candles left in case the power goes out.
It doesn’t matter that you have children.
You live in the wrong place
and now is your chance to run
to nowhere.
It doesn’t matter
that 58 seconds isn’t long enough
to find your wedding album
or your son’s favorite blanket
or your daughter’s almost completed college application
or your shoes
or to gather everyone in the house.
It doesn’t matter what you had planned.
It doesn’t matter who you are
Prove you’re human.
Prove you stand on two legs.
Run.

Running Orders by Lena Khalaf Tuffaha
 Shani 23 Jul 2014
In reply to seankenny:

Ok, so we'll have to agree to disagree on genocide. I will reiterate that my argument is not premised on 'proportions' killed. It is the policy of targetting children, and the sources of medicine and antenatal care that will affect fertility at population level in conjunction with the policy of destruction against infrastucture and control of resource such that quality of life becomes unbearable and life expectancy plummets. It is a war of attrition and a destruction of a people over a long time scale and this is where I see one of the conditions for genocide to be met:

Deliberately inflicting on the group conditions of life calculated to bring about its physical destruction in whole or in part;

alx 23 Jul 2014

Kudos Starkness, that was worth watching
 TobyA 23 Jul 2014
In reply to Shani:

By your definition, is not the Syrian government also attempting to commit genocide against the sections of the Syrian population that don't support it? Syria has seen a the huge displacement of population (9 million over all, 2.5 driven out of the country) and now deaths are believed to be between 100 and 150 thousand. The government has for years now been accused of targeting hospitals, schools, universities, bakeries and civilian homes in rebel controlled areas.
 seankenny 23 Jul 2014
In reply to Shani:

Thing is, I don't disagree that all these things are happening. It's awful. But, and this is my point, I don't believe the purpose of it all is to kill large numbers of Palestinians. In that respect, it's totally different to Rwanda, or Armenia, or the Russian Famine of the 1930s. This has been going on for over 40 years, the Palestinian people have not been destroyed. I'm fairly sure (off the top of my head) that there are actually more of them now than in 1967. Or 1947.

And since they haven't been destroyed "in whole" then we have to examine the question - are they being destroyed "in part"? This is from the generally defined meaning of genocide, which you yourself introduced first. And the "destoyed in part" which has undoubtedly happened to the Palestinians, does that count for it to be a genocide? Clearly, you believe it does. I'm saying you're setting the bar extremely low, and by your own logic you have to declare that the Allies in WW2 were also genocidal, and perpetrated a genocide on the Germans.

You may be willing to take that position, of course.

Shani 23 Jul 2014
In reply to seankenny:
The crux of our difference then is that I believe the IDF is trying to wipe out the Palestinians and you don't. On a statistical level, agreed that it is different to Rwanda etc... but that is probably because Israel is a nation making some attempt to operate within international legislation (at keast in part), and is overtly backed by the USA which obliges it to act with a degree of discretion.

That death rates aren't as high as you'd consider sufficient to be called genocide may be due to Palestinian resolve and the politico-legal constraints placed on Israel alluded to above. But the cost of Israeli action on life expectancy and mental wellbeing, and the destruction of their infrastructure still classifies in my eyes as genocide.

If the Allies can be accused of genocide then anyone pushing that opinion would have to make the case against the necessary criteria.
Post edited at 22:08
contrariousjim 23 Jul 2014
In reply to seankenny:

> Still, as long as you enjoy emoting, that's what counts.

I often agree with you on many subjects, but you're wrong on this.. ..go out to Gaza and see for yourself. It is not a pleasant place to live, if you could call it living. Of course there are many deaths in many other conflicts, but that doesn't make what is happening in Gaza any the less disgusting. It is remarkable that there have only been 600 deaths, given bombing intensity of about 1 bomb per 5m2, but will be much more now. Its not just the current situation though, its the apartheid before hand, the control of trade, electricity, water, sewage, constant surveillance state, restriction of land, restriction of basic freedoms and the walk of shame to get in. These people are being treated as if they are alot less than human, and that on its own makes comparisons with other historical international events relevant. Furthermore, this has been a very long time in the making, and the land has been ethnically cleansed with huge refugee populations, and their decendents, in countries like Jordan. Currently, children are being disproportionately killed, and Dr Mads, is having to help them without recourse to anaesthetic. That sounds nice doesn't it.
 Bruce Hooker 23 Jul 2014
In reply to seankenny:

> You can show the same in Detroit over the last 15 years, but that is not proof of a Motown Genocide.

This is getting sillier and sillier, no one is claiming there is a genocide of Detroit, no one is even saying there was a distinct people and culture in Detroit. I don't think you are using the usual definition either, the more common one us something like:

"any of the following acts committed with intent to destroy, in whole or in part, a national, ethnical, racial or religious group, as such: killing members of the group; causing serious bodily or mental harm to members of the group; deliberately inflicting on the group conditions of life, calculated to bring about its physical destruction in whole or in part; imposing measures intended to prevent births within the group; [and] forcibly transferring children of the group to another group" (from a 1948 UN document.

But whole books have been written on the subject and I don't think a pedantic approach is very useful. The key point seems to me to be the "in whole or in part, a national, ethnical, racial or religious group", that it can be applied to various human groups and often the destruction of a culture is included, which applies particularly in Palestine as the zionists have a liking for physically destroying villages by bulldozer and then building renamed villages for "Jews only" above them, Palestinians have written of coming back to their village to find it effaced, even the well, mosque, every thing. This deliberate effort to "efface a past" is also a part of the notion of genocide IMO.
 Bruce Hooker 23 Jul 2014
In reply to seankenny:

> If 0.03% killed counts as "intending to kill... in part, a national group" then killing 8% of them certainly does.

They have killed or displaced man many more than that, something like 700 000 were displaced in 47-48 (and don't say they left voluntarily as zionists do, pleeeze) and every war, colonization, road and wall building has displaced more. The total death toll itself is considerable, it started even before 1948.

All you have to do is start from 90+% Arabs before the zionists started their genocide to the percentage today, from Jews possessing 4 or 5% of the land to the percentage today, the notion of genocide is flagrant, and the stated aims are for it to go on and on until the whole of Palestine is Israel, for the word Palestine to be wiped off the map. If that's not genocide I don't know what is.
 aln 23 Jul 2014
In reply to Timmd:

It's amazing the hoops people will jump through to justify killing each other. And so sad.
 TobyA 24 Jul 2014
In reply to Shani:
> The crux of our difference then is that I believe the IDF is trying to wipe out the Palestinians

Do you really believe that or do you say it as a rhetorical flourish? First two thirds of Palestinian within the occupied territories live in the West Bank, where there is no fighting and the majority live in areas under PA security control. That's 2.7 million people who the IDF don't seem to be "wiping out". The war is in Gaza, where there are 1.6 million people in a relatively small area over which Israel has complete air superiority and that is all within easy range of Israeli artillery and naval fire. If the IDF is trying to "wipe out" the Palestinians in the Gaza why don't they just do it? They could level Gaza City, Khan Yunis and the other population centres in hours with artillery - destroy it to the level that Russian army did to Grozny in 99-00 - (thermobarics and ballistic missiles in addition to traditional artillery and rocketry barrages). I imagine they could kill hundreds of thousands with comparative ease. Why send in ground troops and get their own soldiers killed if all they are trying to do is wipe out Palestinians? They could do that without crossing the border fence.

The IDFs actions in Gaza might be brutal, indifferent to civilian casualties, immoral or illegal - take your pick - but quite self evidently they are not trying to "wipe out the Palestinians".

And of course that's not even to mention the over a million Palestinians who live in Israel as Israeli citizens.
Post edited at 00:05
 woolsack 24 Jul 2014
In reply to TobyA:

You know full well the IDF do just enough killing that it doesn't unduly upset their US paymaster, they know exactly how much they can get away with each time, usually under the cover of some other 'event' like the killing of the three teenagers. They are masters at seizing an opportunity and exploiting it. There isn't the remotest shred of evidence that Israel wants peace with the Palestinians is there? How much are you being paid Toby?
 Banned User 77 24 Jul 2014
In reply to woolsack:

I don't think that is true.. they are getting bad press here.

I really don't think they give a shit… Quite clearly they are over stepping the mark. I don't think you realise how much other press there is than fox news.. on that you do here a different version I admit...

The 'how much are you being paid' is just a cheap comment at Toby.. he's one of the most balanced posters on this site. Sometimes people can just differ in views.
 pebbles 24 Jul 2014
In reply to balmybaldwin:

brilliantly effective piece of writing. horrible to watch this going on.ordinary people getting stuffed as usual.
 TobyA 24 Jul 2014
In reply to woolsack:
> You know full well the IDF do just enough killing that it doesn't unduly upset their US paymaster,

I don't know that but it's perhaps arguable, but that isn't what Shani said is it?

> There isn't the remotest shred of evidence that Israel wants peace with the Palestinians is there?

Not the current government, no. Who said there was?

> How much are you being paid Toby?

Currently nothing by anyone, and its only going to be worse next autumn when I have to pay tuition fees on top of not having a job. Do you want to know how much my mortgage payments are too Mr Sack? Or do you want to get off your childish conspiracy horse and actually engage with what people write here?
Post edited at 00:41
In reply to IainRUK:
correct that.. just watched a US news report on how the US trust the IDF to cope against Hamas attacks and they continue to target Hamas strong holds.. f*cking disgrace..

TBF most I know, academics, intelligent educated people, hold my view.. I was always sympathetic to Israel until maybe 10 years ago.. then you realise this just cannot go on and its not just simple defence..
Post edited at 04:28
In reply to TobyA:
Welcome to academia… it's great isn't it?

I've just signed a contract as an adjunct Professor in the US with a decent Uni.. 5 contact hours a week (2 less and 1 prac) for 14 weeks.. barely minimal wage…if I worked full time I'd be on 10 hours a week contact time for 4 times that..

I'll do other work, coach athletics, sub teach etc to pay bills but its a joke how much people think you can make…
Post edited at 04:27
 woolsack 24 Jul 2014
In reply to TobyA:

> Currently nothing by anyone, and its only going to be worse next autumn when I have to pay tuition fees on top of not having a job. Do you want to know how much my mortgage payments are too Mr Sack? Or do you want to get off your childish conspiracy horse and actually engage with what people write here?

I'm not on about your salary, that's none of my business. I'm wondering if you're on the same payment scheme as Dror, Dek, Mike Highbury and Mike TS, paid to come onto forums and social media and spread the love for the terror State? Certainly seems that way at times!
 Mike Highbury 24 Jul 2014
In reply to woolsack:

> I'm not on about your salary, that's none of my business. I'm wondering if you're on the same payment scheme as Dror, Dek, Mike Highbury and Mike TS, paid to come onto forums and social media and spread the love for the terror State? Certainly seems that way at times!

That is sharper than you might think. I've got up to a pointed email from Mark Regev suggesting that I up my game or I'll have my retainer cancelled. So be prepared to counter some hurried and rather random tweets and posts across the web.
contrariousjim 24 Jul 2014
In reply to TobyA:

> Do you really believe that or do you say it as a rhetorical flourish? First two thirds of Palestinian within the occupied territories live in the West Bank, where there is no fighting and the majority live in areas under PA security control. That's 2.7 million people who the IDF don't seem to be "wiping out". The war is in Gaza, where there are 1.6 million....

They are trying to crush those who have the audacity to react against them. Three days the bomb intensity was one bomb per 5m2. Have a look at the spread of night fire in Gaza by satellite from space. I have friends working as medics in Gaza saying they've never seen such disproportionate killing if women and children. This is the deliberate terrorisation of a people. It says if you react to what we do, we'll crush you. David Ward MP said he would fire a rocket if he was in Gaza and the political class jumped on him. I think a great many in the west if honest and knowledgeable about the relative loss of freedoms, and experience of constant oppression, would say the same. Instead, our leaders, while Israel is committing war crimes, continue to assert Israel's "right to defend themselves", as if that was relevant to the one sided process ongoing. People also decry those who complain about Zisrarl's behaviour as "anti-Semitic", when in reality the most anti-Semitic thing that is being done is supporting Israel and thereby encouraging Jews to be tarred with the same brush as war criminals.
 TobyA 24 Jul 2014
In reply to contrariousjim:

I don't disagree with much of what you say (European political reactions have been different from what I've seen of the Conservatives here) but that's not what Shani said and not what I reacted to. People are throwing around the word genocide like confetti now, having paid little or no attention to other mass human rights abuses elsewhere in recent years of equal or greater scale (in Syria, in CAR, in Sri Lanka).
 lummox 24 Jul 2014
In reply to Timmd:

Some people don't seem to find killing that troubling at all..
 lummox 24 Jul 2014
In reply to seankenny:

Care to elaborate on your sneering at my post Sean ? I suggested that shelling patients in their beds trumped warning shots at the Al-Jazeera offices, worrying though that is.
 TobyA 24 Jul 2014
In reply to woolsack:
> I'm wondering if you're on the same payment scheme as Dror, Dek, Mike Highbury and Mike TS, paid to come onto forums and social media and spread the love for the terror State? Certainly seems that way at times!

Oh come on Woolsack, despite your penchant for conspiracy theories and strongly guarded anonymity, that's beneath you. Have you any actual knowledge that any of those people are on a "payment scheme"? dek isn't even very good at it because basically he just seems to hate or fear all Muslims and his "love" for Israel doesn't go much beyond that. Dror gets kicked off regularly so again he's a lousy propagandist. Mike TS is Israeli (or at least lives there) but has has been posting about climbing around the world for many, many years on UKC.

No one is asking you if you post things like the Yinon plan stuff because you're a regular listener to Neo-Nazi radio (found a recent discussion on it on such a radio show last night when trying to read more about it) or suggesting that you don't post about Syria much because you're an Alawi or paid by the Assad regime. So perhaps you could extend the courtesy of just understanding that not everyone else sees the world as you do.

I'm with John on this youtube.com/watch?v=zmCKZYKsiGM&
Post edited at 08:27
 Greenbanks 24 Jul 2014
In reply to IainRUK:

<I've just signed a contract as an adjunct Professor in the US with a decent Uni.. 5 contact hours a week (2 less and 1 prac) for 14 weeks.. barely minimal wage…if I worked full time I'd be on 10 hours a week contact time for 4 times that..

I'll do other work, coach athletics, sub teach etc to pay bills but its a joke how much people think you can make…>

OFF THREAD: Yes, but think of the opportunities...I have got mates who I worked with in 2 UK unis & they left after PhD; one is now the President of a decent state uni, the other runs a good sized lab with good grants etc. Got several others who went as post-doc to NIH and have done vvery well, even able to return to Europe later

ON THREAD: good thing about US academics is that they are more inclined to put their money where their mouth is when protesting about US involvement in conflicts or their govts lack of support for important principles - unlike much of the UK

(sweeping statement: but that's my experience)
 Bruce Hooker 24 Jul 2014
In reply to woolsack:

> They are masters at seizing an opportunity and exploiting it.

Or of making them.

People seem to have forgotten how they helped the Hamas get started to weaken the PLO.
 Bruce Hooker 24 Jul 2014
In reply to TobyA:

> The war is in Gaza,

At the moment but what about the various Intifadas?

The war is where Israel can get away with it, and as you yourself say it is practical for Israel, no Jewish settlers to kill accidentally, the sea and land basing of artillery makes it very convenient as the Gaza Strip is just that - a thin strip. It is also where the most dynamic resistance movement is at present. At other times it was the camps in Lebanon and they were "dealt with" too.

What I find disgusting in your attitude is that you know all this and you still post lies here, which certainly gives the impression that you have an axe to grind and if you aren't employed now you would like to be later... How easy would this be in a yank think tank if you had been posting in favour of justice in Palestine I wonder?

PS. There have been stories in the press about the way the social media are used by people who want to get a message across, from all sides, what would be surprising if it functioned here?
 Shani 24 Jul 2014
In reply to TobyA:

> I don't know that but it's perhaps arguable, but that isn't what Shani said is it?

Yes it is what I said. "but that is probably because Israel is a nation making some attempt to operate within international legislation (at least in part), and is overtly backed by the USA which obliges it to act with a degree of discretion."
 tony 24 Jul 2014
In reply to lummox:

> Care to elaborate on your sneering at my post Sean ? I suggested that shelling patients in their beds trumped warning shots at the Al-Jazeera offices, worrying though that is.

Since when was it a game of top trumps?
 The New NickB 24 Jul 2014
In reply to tony:

> Since when was it a game of top trumps?

These thing always become a very dark game of top trumps.
 seankenny 24 Jul 2014

> I often agree with you on many subjects, but you're wrong on this.. ..go out to Gaza and see for yourself. It is not a pleasant place to live, if you could call it living...

Now let's get one thing clear, right at the outset: I agree with pretty much everything you've written. I'm outraged and saddened by what's happened.

But - that doesn't make it a genocide.

Let's consider, for a moment, another case in which accusations of genocide were used: the end of the Sri Lankan civil war. You're all hot on international affairs so I'll spare the background, you know the situation. I heard plenty of Tamils saying that the Sri Lankan government's shelling of civilians on the beach was a genocide of the Tamils. It sure was a war crime, but I don't think it was a genocide. Why? Because the criteria which we, human beings, have set out to describe this particular type of event, weren't being met. There was no systematic attempt to wipe out the Tamils. Tamils in Jaffna or Trinco weren't being slaughtered. Tamils in Colombo were able to live, not without police harrassement for sure, but they weren't being put in camps and killed en masse. So, no genocide.

I believe we've a similar situation here, and it's why I've taken care, in this thread, to look at the UN's definition of genocide - first helpfully provided by Shani, and then again by Bruce, as if we hadn't been discussing it. I've given plenty of arguments as to why what is happening does not meet those criteria. It may look cruel or dry to measure this by statistics, but that's what we have to do here - look at the situation and see if it meets this definition. If anyone wants to argue from that definition, rather than listing all the bad things done to the Palestinians, I'm all ears.

Interestingly, many people on here have mentioned the ethnic cleansing of Palestinians from their homes as evidence that it's a genocide. This isn't actually one of the criteria for a genocide, is it?

What about the "causing serious bodily or mental harm to members of the group". To me - tho I'm no lawyer - this clause is an attempt to cover deliberately starving people to death, or similar. Is this happening in Palestine? Whilst clearly bombing Gaza repeatedly over many years is going to cause serious mental harm - don't for a moment accuse me of not caring about this - I don't think what we are seeing there is equivalent to, say, starving a group of people to death. Nor is it the whole group of people. As Toby says, the Palestinians in the West Bank are not suffering similar. But it's a fine line, you could argue it I reckon but for the legal definition of genocide to hold, there has to be intent to wipe out a national, ethnic or religious group. As Toby says, if that intent was there, the Israeli govt would be doing something rather different.

seankenny 24 Jul 2014

> All you have to do is start from 90+% Arabs before the zionists started their genocide to the percentage today, from Jews possessing 4 or 5% of the land to the percentage today, the notion of genocide is flagrant, and the stated aims are for it to go on and on until the whole of Palestine is Israel, for the word Palestine to be wiped off the map. If that's not genocide I don't know what is.

Let's look at Palestine's demographics, which I've taken from Wikipedia.

"Palestine in 1850 had about 350,000 inhabitants, 30% of whom lived in 13 towns; roughly 85% were Muslims, 11% were Christians and 4% Jews."

"In 1920, the League of Nations' Interim Report on the Civil Administration of Palestine stated that there were hardly 700,000 people living in Palestine:

There are now in the whole of Palestine hardly 700,000 people... Four-fifths of the whole population are Moslems. The Jewish element of the population numbers 76,000. Almost all have entered Palestine during the last 40 years."

"By 1948, the population had risen to 1,900,000, of whom 68% were Arabs, and 32% were Jews."

So let's go with the 1948 figures, as these coincide with the Israeli state which you disabree with. Just under 1.3m Arabs in Palestine back then. Now there are around 3.5m in the West Bank and Gaza. Rather than decrease, as in most genocides, the number of Palestinians has more than doubled. Compare that to known and agreed-upon genocides, such as Rwanda, where 70% of Tutsis were murdered.

Now, I don't deny that many awful, horrible things have happened to the Palestinians. But genocide isn't one of them. Unless of course you choose to ignore the usual definitions of genocide, and replace it with one of your own. You're free to do that, if it assuages your feelings of impotent anger about what is happening.
 seankenny 24 Jul 2014
In reply to lummox:

Sorry, which post was I sneering at? I don't remember directly replying to you...
 TobyA 24 Jul 2014
In reply to Shani:

In which case, if they are operating inside international law, then it can't be genocide can it - they can be trying to wipe out the Palestinians and not trying to at the same point. Such statements do nothing to acknowledge the complexity of the situation - my Palestinian friend is an Israeli for instance, at least when she shows her passport at borders. But she loathes the Israeli government and wishes the state was never set up, but she is also quite secure because she's an Israeli citizen.

I take the point that you are trying to make, but genocide is word that gets chucked around to easily.
 seankenny 24 Jul 2014

> What I find disgusting in your attitude is that you know all this and you still post lies here, which certainly gives the impression that you have an axe to grind and if you aren't employed now you would like to be later... How easy would this be in a yank think tank if you had been posting in favour of justice in Palestine I wonder?

> PS. There have been stories in the press about the way the social media are used by people who want to get a message across, from all sides, what would be surprising if it functioned here?

Toby's a big boy and can look after himself, but I must say that when posting a reasonable arguement gets you accused of being a paid-for shill for a govt or lobby group, debate has reached a new low.

Shani 24 Jul 2014
In reply to TobyA:

> In which case, if they are operating inside international law, then it can't be genocide can it - they can be trying to wipe out the Palestinians and not trying to at the same point. Such statements do nothing to acknowledge the complexity of the situation - my Palestinian friend is an Israeli for instance, at least when she shows her passport at borders. But she loathes the Israeli government and wishes the state was never set up, but she is also quite secure because she's an Israeli citizen.

The law is a grey area, not black and white. That is why cases are brought to court and a conviction may or may not be passed. That is why there are questions of human rights being breached today, and why those same questions were aired in the Goldstone report I linked to earlier. International justice is also linked to political and economic pressure, and we know which countries have greater influence than others.

Further to your opening line, "In which case, if they are operating inside international law". Well lets go back to what I said, "but that is probably because Israel is a nation making some attempt to operate within international legislation (at least in part), and is overtly backed by the USA which obliges it to act with a degree of discretion." The bit you need to re-read is 'making some attempt to operate within international legislation (at least in part), 'some part' being the key words.

> I take the point that you are trying to make, but genocide is word that gets chucked around to easily.

It may get chucked around too easily, but Israel's war of attrition with the Palestinians in Gaza is inhumane, and in my opinion, qualifies.

seankenny 24 Jul 2014
In reply to Shani:
> It may get chucked around too easily, but Israel's war of attrition with the Palestinians in Gaza is inhumane, and in my opinion, qualifies.

Yes, it's inhumane. But I've presented loads of arguments as to why it doesn't qualify, and you've not actually refuted any of them - and instead accused me of playing with numbers.
Post edited at 11:14
 Shani 24 Jul 2014
In reply to seankenny:

> (In reply to Shani)
> [...]
>
> Yes, it's inhumane. But I've presented loads of arguments as to why it doesn't qualify, and you've not actually refuted any of them - and instead accused me of playing with numbers.

I don't want to give trite answers, but your arguments have several times hinged on numbers (death rates). I introduced a link to the definition of genocide and I've explicitly stated the section of the definition that is satisfied (section C).
Post edited at 12:00
 seankenny 24 Jul 2014
In reply to Shani:
> I don't want to give trite answers, but your arguments have several times hinged on numbers (death rates). I introduced a link to the definition of genocide and I've explicitly stated the section of the definition that is satisfied (section C).

I think you have it the wrong way around. You said section c was satisfied, and I've produced the numbers to show that section c is not satisfied. The numbers of people killed out of the population are key - imho - to defining whether something is a genocide. Hence the huge difference between Rwanda, or the Holocaust, and what the state of Israel has done.

The issues to me seems to be at what point in a conflict does killing civilians tip into to becomming a genocide. Is the Syrian government committing a genocide? Did the Sri Lankan government? Your logic would suggest that these govts - and indeed the Allies in WW2 - are genocidal, or that Israel is somehow a special case, ie for Israel to enact a genocide, it has to kill fewer people than other states.

I know you find it distasteful to discuss numbers, but the section c which you refer to seems to make that explicit with its "in whole or in part", ie we have to discuss what "in part" means. How can we do that without looking at the numbers? Not to mention the intent to wipe out a particular group, of course. I don't think just saying "they've broken internatinal law" really proves your point.
Post edited at 12:19
 Shani 24 Jul 2014
In reply to seankenny:
> (In reply to Shani)
> I think you have it the wrong way around. You said section c was satisfied, and I've produced the numbers to show that section c is not satisfied. The numbers of people killed out of the population are key - imho - to defining whether something is a genocide. Hence the huge difference between Rwanda, or the Holocaust, and what the state of Israel has done.

Section C does not mandate a death rate, simply that there is deliberate inflicting on the group conditions of life calculated to bring about its physical destruction in whole or in part. That the tools of death available to the Tutsi and Nazis are not available to the IDF because of international laws and political pressure does not mean that the objectives are not the same.

A modern nation state necessarily has to operate in a different frame of reference - in this case resulting in a slower crushing of a people. So yes there is a huge difference between Rwanda, or the Holocaust, and what the state of Israel is doing.

Look at this another way; you couldn't say that the Hutu "deliberately inflicted conditions of life calculated to bring about its physical destruction in whole or in part" of the Tutsis.

Anyone aware of the conditions inflicted upon the people of Gaza would perhaps hold the view that the Palestinians in Gaza are being subject to deliberately inflicted conditions of life calculated to bring about their physical destruction in whole or in part.

------

We fundamentally disagree, and I think we understand each other's position but we're unlikely to manage to change each other's opinion via this forum, so this discussion may have reached a natural conclusion.
 seankenny 24 Jul 2014
In reply to Shani:

> Section C does not mandate a death rate, simply that there is deliberate inflicting on the group conditions of life calculated to bring about its physical destruction in whole or in part. That the tools of death available to the Tutsi and Nazis are not available to the IDF because of international laws and political pressure does not mean that the objectives are not the same.

No, of course it doesn't, and I'm not actually talking about a "rate" - rather the overall result of the policies. Aside from this micro-discussion of how to judge the "in part" criteria - which you have tried to avoid, lacking I think a suitable measure that separates a genocide from a non-genocide, there is the large issue of intent, in which I thin you mis-read the situation entirely.

> A modern nation state necessarily has to operate in a different frame of reference - in this case resulting in a slower crushing of a people. So yes there is a huge difference between Rwanda, or the Holocaust, and what the state of Israel is doing.

And that difference is because the former two situations were genocides, and the later isn't.

> Look at this another way; you couldn't say that the Hutu "deliberately inflicted conditions of life calculated to bring about its physical destruction in whole or in part" of the Tutsis.

Well, you could argue that the Hutus did exactly this with their hate radio, holding lists of Tutsis to kill, etc, but you don't need to, as they fulfill criteria (a) - killing members of the group, along with the intent.

> Anyone aware of the conditions inflicted upon the people of Gaza would perhaps hold the view that the Palestinians in Gaza are being subject to deliberately inflicted conditions of life calculated to bring about their physical destruction in whole or in part.

Is this a little dig to suggest I'm not aware of the conditions Gazans live under? You are probably not aware but I work, at least sometimes, in the humanitarian aid sector... Anyhow, if what you saw were correct, then after several years of blockading Gaza, then there would be (huge?) numbers of Palestinians suffering malnutrition and dying from a lack of food, as in Somalia or South Sudan.

> We fundamentally disagree, and I think we understand each other's position but we're unlikely to manage to change each other's opinion via this forum, so this discussion may have reached a natural conclusion.

I'm okay with fundamental disagreement, but what I find unfortunate about this exchange is that you've not actually dealt with any of the points I've raised, eg differentiating Israel/Palestine with Sri Lanka, or Syria, and why you believe one is a genocide and the others aren't (or perhaps they are?). A fuller exposition of your views, and the reasons for holding them, rather than the usual dull outrage, would have been much more enlightening and interesting.
Removed User 24 Jul 2014
In reply to Timmd:

15 dead / 200 wounded after Israel shells UN-run school.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/middleeast/2014/07/israeli-shells-hits-un-she...
 Shani 24 Jul 2014
In reply to seankenny:

> No, of course it doesn't, and I'm not actually talking about a "rate" - rather the overall result of the policies. Aside from this micro-discussion of how to judge the "in part" criteria - which you have tried to avoid, lacking I think a suitable measure that separates a genocide from a non-genocide, there is the large issue of intent, in which I thin you mis-read the situation entirely.

> And that difference is because the former two situations were genocides, and the later isn't.

> Well, you could argue that the Hutus did exactly this with their hate radio, holding lists of Tutsis to kill, etc, but you don't need to, as they fulfill criteria (a) - killing members of the group, along with the intent.

> Is this a little dig to suggest I'm not aware of the conditions Gazans live under? You are probably not aware but I work, at least sometimes, in the humanitarian aid sector... Anyhow, if what you saw were correct, then after several years of blockading Gaza, then there would be (huge?) numbers of Palestinians suffering malnutrition and dying from a lack of food, as in Somalia or South Sudan.

No dig intended. Again my point that Israel are operating as a nation state overtly under-written by the US and so they cannot as those in Somalia and South Sudan do.

> I'm okay with fundamental disagreement, but what I find unfortunate about this exchange is that you've not actually dealt with any of the points I've raised, eg differentiating Israel/Palestine with Sri Lanka, or Syria, and why you believe one is a genocide and the others aren't (or perhaps they are?). A fuller exposition of your views, and the reasons for holding them, rather than the usual dull outrage, would have been much more enlightening and interesting.

Emotive rhetoric. You've raised the case of Sri Lanka and Syria and so are best placed to qualify those against the criteria of genocide.
 seankenny 24 Jul 2014
In reply to Shani:

> Anyhow, if what you saw were correct, then after several years of blockading Gaza, then there would be (huge?) numbers of Palestinians suffering malnutrition and dying from a lack of food, as in Somalia or South Sudan.

> No dig intended. Again my point that Israel are operating as a nation state overtly under-written by the US and so they cannot as those in Somalia and South Sudan do.

Agreed, they can't act in the same way as they're under much more media and politcal scrutiny (tho of course everyone knew a famine was going to happen in Somalia and not much was done to stop it, but that's for another time). So, anyhow, as a result there is no mass hunger in Palestine. Again, doesn't this somewhat undermine your argument that a genocide is occuring as a result of Israel's handiwork?

> Emotive rhetoric. You've raised the case of Sri Lanka and Syria and so are best placed to qualify those against the criteria of genocide.

The point is, I laid out exactly why I thought Sri Lanka wasn't a genocide - I think the case is actually quite similar to Israel, right down to an outraged disapora. I thought you might want to argue how this case was different to Israel, or why my arguments on SL were wrong, and how this affects my arguments on Isreal/Palestine. The point being, that's what arguing is all about, rather than repeating the same points over and over again. (As I said, emoting like this makes us feel good.)

Surely the more salient point is surely that Isreal are painting themselves into a terrible corner. If there are too many settlements to make a two state solution possible, then they have to keep the Palestinians in a bantustan-type situation indefinitely. This is because if they incorporated the Palestinians into Isreal, then Jews would become a minority in the Jewish state. But you can't corral people into a corner forever, as even staunch Israel-supporters in the UK have said.

Of course, if the Jews were trying to wipe the Palestian people out in a genocide, there wouldn't be enough of them left to make this a concern (unless it were a strange type of genocide which didn't actually kill that many people). So by harping on about a genocide, you're missing the real threat to the Palestinian people whom you claim to care so passionately about.

Shani 24 Jul 2014
In reply to seankenny:

> The point is, I laid out exactly why I thought Sri Lanka wasn't a genocide - I think the case is actually quite similar to Israel, right down to an outraged disapora. I thought you might want to argue how this case was different to Israel, or why my arguments on SL were wrong, and how this affects my arguments on Isreal/Palestine. The point being, that's what arguing is all about, rather than repeating the same points over and over again. (As I said, emoting like this makes us feel good.)

I don't know enough about SL to comment. Given that specific criteria ("C") above, and in context of the IDF's current behaviour, the blockade and the finding of the Goldstone report etc..., I thought that that was the a sufficient criteria, but you just see it as repetition.

> Surely the more salient point is surely that Isreal are painting themselves into a terrible corner. If there are too many settlements to make a two state solution possible, then they have to keep the Palestinians in a bantustan-type situation indefinitely. This is because if they incorporated the Palestinians into Isreal, then Jews would become a minority in the Jewish state. But you can't corral people into a corner forever, as even staunch Israel-supporters in the UK have said.

> Of course, if the Jews were trying to wipe the Palestian people out in a genocide, there wouldn't be enough of them left to make this a concern (unless it were a strange type of genocide which didn't actually kill that many people). So by harping on about a genocide, you're missing the real threat to the Palestinian people whom you claim to care so passionately about.

If you want to make this analysis then go ahead. The criteria I cite above still applies IMO, but I concede that without an appropriate rate of death, it may be difficult to make this conclusion stick in law.
 seankenny 24 Jul 2014
In reply to Shani:

> I don't know enough about SL to comment. Given that specific criteria ("C") above, and in context of the IDF's current behaviour, the blockade and the finding of the Goldstone report etc..., I thought that that was the a sufficient criteria, but you just see it as repetition.

I'm pointing out the weakness in your evidence, eg that the blockade isn't fulfilling the criteria. The repetition comes when you merely repeat the list of evidence (killing, blockade, report), rather than explain to me why this evidence fulfils the criteria. I've given plenty of reasons why I think it doesn't. Reasons why it is would include, for example, numbers of deaths as a result of the blockade, or extracts from the Goldstone report which highlights genocidal behaviour. I'd be more than happy to debate any evidence you produce - you might even persuade me!

Again, you'll probably think I'm getting hung up on numbers of deaths, but I can't see how this is avoidable when talking about a genocide, which is about killing large numbers of a particular group.

As for SL, this is an ideal time to read up on what happened and wonder if it's genocide, no? Or don't the homicidal doings of the Sri Lankan govt excite you as much as the Bad Ol' Boys down in J-town?

> If you want to make this analysis then go ahead. The criteria I cite above still applies IMO, but I concede that without an appropriate rate of death, it may be difficult to make this conclusion stick in law.

Well the criteria you listed are essentially a legal definition, right? So if you want to make the charge of genocide hold, you'll need some evidence. Given that this is one of the most reported upon and discussed conflicts in history it shouldn't be hard. If people aren't dying in large numbers than it probably isn't a genocide - however hideous the Israeli govt's actions are.

Pan Ron 24 Jul 2014
In reply to seankenny:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-28468526

It keep getting better. Sod the two-state solution. Israel can burn.
Removed User 24 Jul 2014
In reply to Timmd:
have any of the Israeli politicians studied European history.if they read about the warsaw ghetto they can read about a nasty fascist government determined to destroy the inhabitants who they regarded as sub-human and compare!
Post edited at 18:42
 Shani 24 Jul 2014
In reply to seankenny:

Hi Sean, now I'm not at work I've had chance to look in to this a bit more. I agree with you that what is going on in Gaza, whilst savage and brutal, does not satify the legal definition of genocide. Thanks for taking the time to discuss this.
 Greenbanks 24 Jul 2014
In reply to Timmd:

Brookings often provides an intelligent and balanced perspective on fraught matters such as these.

http://www.brookings.edu/research/flash-topics/flash-topic-folder/crisis-in...

Bruce Hooker 24 Jul 2014
In reply to seankenny:

> Interestingly, many people on here have mentioned the ethnic cleansing of Palestinians from their homes as evidence that it's a genocide. This isn't actually one of the criteria for a genocide, is it?

Well yes it is, for the UN anyway. Obviously there is the quantitative aspect and also whether one looks at it it relatively. For Palestine a lot of people think that the sum of all the aspects makes what is happening a genocide, you don't.

Well here's a question, if the trends continue it doesn't look as if the quality of life in Gaza and the West bank is going to improve much nor that Israel is going to stop killing them, if in a few years the conditions are reached which fits in with the term "genocide" have you got a magic wand which will go back in time and make things better after you've apologised and said "sorry I wuz wrong"?

The situation is a little like in the 20s and 30s,there are plenty of books about it, some Palestinians were saying "look out, this could get dangerous, we should do something", others said "no, we can trust the British just as we could the Ottomans, all we need to do is go through the normal legal procedures, write a petition, things will be all OK". Who turned out to have been right?
 Bruce Hooker 24 Jul 2014
In reply to seankenny:

> Toby's a big boy and can look after himself, but I must say that when posting a reasonable arguement gets you accused of being a paid-for shill for a govt or lobby group, debate has reached a new low.

It's not the first time I've wondered this and said it, before he was, apparently, working for some such dubious body and at the time I wondered how he could post independently.

PS. I don't see how anybody who supports Israel even slightly at the present - over 150 children slaughtered, targeting hospitals and school or children playing on the beach etc - can said to be "posting a reasonable argument". The world has really gone sick when governments who see themselves as moral can support this too, while we are on the subject..
 seankenny 24 Jul 2014
In reply to Shani:

Any time. Thanks for being a gent, even when we disagreed.
 Bruce Hooker 24 Jul 2014
In reply to seankenny:

You keep mentioning Syria but in what way can this be said to be a genocide? What people is trying to get rid of what other people? Who is trying to wipe out the culture and memory of another and take the place over as in Israel? As far as I can see the only similarity with Palestine is that it's in the Middle East and there's violent fighting going on.
 Skyfall 24 Jul 2014

I don't know what has happened to Israel. Have they no shame. 765 dead and counting. Many of them children. Stuff this human shields stuff, they're shelling (even if accidentally) homes, schools, hospitals and now UN safe havens.

The only thing protecting Israel from international fury is the memory of the Holocaust. That should not protect them now. Enough!
 TobyA 24 Jul 2014

100,000 dead next door Bruce, but still you maintain that Assad is the legitimate leader for Syria. You've continually denounced governments that have stood against the Syrian government.
contrariousjim 25 Jul 2014
In reply to TobyA:
> (In reply to Bruce Hooker)
>
> 100,000 dead next door Bruce, but still you maintain that Assad is the legitimate leader for Syria. You've continually denounced governments that have stood against the Syrian government.

From what I've read of Bruce on syria, I'd say it can be summarised as:
Assad is the better of the evils on offer.
 Bruce Hooker 25 Jul 2014

> From what I've read of Bruce on syria, I'd say it can be summarised as:

> Assad is the better of the evils on offer.

That's about it, but especially the whole civil war was deliberately stirred up from outside. After Libya Syria was the next step, I predicted it long before it happened, and now Libya is turning into a bloodbath too.

I have already tried to explain, dozens of times, that Assad is supported by various minorities of the Syrian population, and still is, but Toby won't have it, he's a cheer leader for the Western media simplistic manipulation which says "Assad bad... someone else who they have a certain difficulty in defining good". None of them seem to ask the question why so many Syrians still support Assad and yet it's not hard to work out, especially if you know someone who knows the country, they'll tell you easy enough.

I wouldn't care but the Libyan experience is hardly a success, even if one disregards the 10s of thousands who died during the NATO offensive it's still not getting any better, a country that had about the highest standard of living in Africa has become an anarchy run by armed gangs.
 TobyA 25 Jul 2014

> That's about it, but especially the whole civil war was deliberately stirred up from outside. After Libya Syria was the next step, I predicted it long before it happened,

No Bruce, you continually said that the US and NATO were desperate to get involved and take over Syria, which of course you have been shown to be wrong about as it never happened. We do know though that Hezbollah and Iran have had soldiers on the ground. I see you are still defending the Assad family though by saying it was outside forces "stirring up" resistance, rather than 50 odd years of corrupt, sectarian and often violent autocracy that turned big sections of the population against them. But we can agree to disagree on that I guess.

> even if one disregards the 10s of thousands who died during the NATO offensive

I notice now you are getting a bit lawyerly with your word choice here, I'm sure in the past you accused the NATO strikes of killing tens of thousands of civilians. It seems that most studies post the conflict now suggest around 70 civilians killed by NATO http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casualties_of_the_Libyan_Civil_War clearly most civilians were killed either in fighting between Libyan govt. and rebel forces, or were killed by Libyan security forces in the early days when they suppressed anti-regime demonstrations.
 seankenny 25 Jul 2014

> Well yes it is, for the UN anyway. Obviously there is the quantitative aspect and also whether one looks at it it relatively. For Palestine a lot of people think that the sum of all the aspects makes what is happening a genocide, you don't.

Using the legal definition which has been drafted by experts in the matter seems about right to me, but eschewing the experts in favour of the home-cooked view is very early 21st century.

As I've explained many times above, the sum of the aspects don't make it a genocide. You can of course use the word to express the strength of your feelings - many people do. And why not? You're not lawyers, or diplomats, or journalists, or anyone who actually *has* to use terms accurately as part of their work.

> Well here's a question, if the trends continue it doesn't look as if the quality of life in Gaza and the West bank is going to improve much nor that Israel is going to stop killing them, if in a few years the conditions are reached which fits in with the term "genocide" have you got a magic wand which will go back in time and make things better after you've apologised and said "sorry I wuz wrong"?

You seem to think that a genocide would be a cummulative thing, that suddenly after all this inattention to the real business (the genoicde!) that the numbers would hit some kind of magic mark and then you'd have been proved right all along.

I really don't think it works like this. There are all sorts of reasons about the rates of killing people which are probably distasteful to many, but there is one huge problem with your idea that suddenly it might happen. That is, Israel is too well scrutinised for it to happen. You couldn't get away with mass killings as per Rwanda because too many people are looking. When Rwanda went tits up the media's very small Africa teams were busy with Nelson Mandela and the first free elections in South Africa. That's not ever going to be the case with Israel.

This is of course ignoring the incredible changes in communications since 1994 which mean even remote places are connected...

contrariousjim 25 Jul 2014
In reply to seankenny:

> Using the legal definition which has been drafted by experts in the matter seems about right to me, but eschewing the experts in favour of the home-cooked view is very early 21st century.
> As I've explained many times above, the sum of the aspects don't make it a genocide. You can of course use the word to express the strength of your feelings - many people do. And why not? You're not lawyers, or diplomats, or journalists, or anyone who actually *has* to use terms accurately as part of their work.

Not really "very early 21st century". It might for example recognise that the thinking / intention is not dissimilar even if the result yielded (your numerical obsession) isn't the same. It might recognise that there is nothing different about the behaviour of the aggressor, except what is achieved by virtue of external containment. For me, when the figures are frankly what I would call high, and grossly disproportionately civillian women and children, I would have no problem saying this is genocide, without fear of reducing the horror and severity of those historical genoicides, and leave the bean counters to pick the fluff from the belly buttons as they obsess in a bath of legal terminology.
 Bruce Hooker 25 Jul 2014
In reply to seankenny:

> eschewing the experts in favour of the home-cooked view is very early 21st century.

I'm flattered but I don't think anything I say can be considered "early 21st century" but as for the definitions I cited they were from UN documents and dated back to 1948. Since there have been many other ideas expressed on the subject, in particular bringing in deliberate attempts to destroy a culture, which is particularly pertinent concerning the Israelis - remember when a Israeli PM said the Palestinians didn't exist? The deliberate destruction, obliteration of Palestinian villages, the effacement of their names from the maps and replacement by names in a different language sums up the intention of Jewish Israelis, they want to make Palestine an all Jewish country - the last lot of talks fell through on their insistence that the Palestinian accepted the term "Jewish State" for the Israeli bit of Palestine.

I could spend hours replying to other points but could you at least react on this idea of obliteration of a culture and physical country, names included?

> You seem to think that a genocide would be a cummulative thing,

Genocide is a cumulative thing, ask any Armenian, the writing was on the wall and smaller pogroms had happened, some called for Armenians to arm themselves but their clerical leadership said no, and then when it started it was too late. Where Armenians had arms they defended themselves quite well but the rest were butchered of marched off to die in the desert.

The Israeli method is different, opportunistic, in 47-48 they killed many and drove hundreds of thousands out, never to return (something refused by the Geneva convention BTW) since at each Israeli/Arab war they have killed quite a few an driven more out. Of late it has been more progressive, with the use of many small colonies, piecemeal, and with the most horrendous invention that of Gaza, a strip of land, wired off and used as a concentration camp, but one that they whittle down by regular massacres like the present one... any pretext, real or set up, is good for butchery, just as they did in Lebanon in the past.

Just as in 48 the Arabs woke up to find themselves dispossessed of any power over their land too late to fight back. They should have fought when they could, well before the colonisers reached the critical mass, it's a lesson they aren't likely to forget.
 seankenny 25 Jul 2014

> Not really "very early 21st century". It might for example recognise that the thinking / intention is not dissimilar even if the result yielded (your numerical obsession) isn't the same. It might recognise that there is nothing different about the behaviour of the aggressor, except what is achieved by virtue of external containment. For me, when the figures are frankly what I would call high, and grossly disproportionately civillian women and children, I would have no problem saying this is genocide, without fear of reducing the horror and severity of those historical genoicides, and leave the bean counters to pick the fluff from the belly buttons as they obsess in a bath of legal terminology.

Oh I don't know, the denigration of experts in favour of one's own opinion is a distinctly modern thing. (Not that I'm an expert, of course!)

Anyhow, I'd say that in this case the intention to commit genocide is arguable, and anyhow the law says that both the intent and the "physical element" have to be present for it to be legally considered a genocide. Your arguments above don't prove the second part, the physical part. I just don't see this as an attempt to destroy a people, a whole group. I mean, have you read anything about Rwanda, or the Holocaust? We're not talking about casually bombing schools here, we're talking about upturning societies so they become killing machines and turning ordinary people into agents of death and carnage. Sure, you find the figures "high" but historically they are pretty low for a conflict. In the Blitz 40,000 Londoners were killed in 57 nights and a million houses destroyed. The killing was way, way worse - but we don't call it a genocide, do we?

I'm sorry to get back to my "numerical obsession", but how else can you categorise attempts to wipe out a group of people if not by looking at the numbers? Do you just go by a feeling? That's exactly what I mean, this bandying about the g-word is a way of people expressing how badly this hurts them (oddly Syria doesn't cause them quite the same pain), but it's completely unrelated to anything useable out in the real world, where this "bath of legal terminology" actually has consequences.

Bruce Hooker 25 Jul 2014
In reply to TobyA:

> No Bruce, you continually said that the US and NATO were desperate to get involved and take over Syria,

Which as anyone who has a telly and a pair of eyes and ear know is the case, Mrs Clinton was livid that she couldn't have another war like in Libya but she was blocked by the Russian and Chinese veto. You know this too, why do you insist on saying you don't. Everyone reading your words knows they are lies, if it hadn't been for those two vetoes Syria would most probably have gone down like Libya.

It's true that some US military breathed a sigh of relief as they though it might have been a bigger lump to chew, it would certainly have involved more deaths but I doubt, myself, that any second class army could last for long against the full technological power of NATO. So please stop fibbing, you know it was the two vetoes that "saved" Syria, but saved it for what? The Plan B is the horror we see now, whatever happens the West has to see someone dying, as do you apparently.

I'm sorry if in Tobyreality only 16 men an a dog died in Libya, it seems to upset you, but don't worry the reality was far more died than your trumped up reports say, and they are still dying today, look at the news... happy? I don't know if you deliberately try to be sickening or it's a habit you're not aware of.
 Bruce Hooker 25 Jul 2014
In reply to seankenny:

> Oh I don't know, the denigration of experts in favour of one's own opinion is a distinctly modern thing.

You must mix with more genteel people than I do! I've never heard a cockney, taxi-driver or not, who had a good word for any "experts", quite the opposite.

> anyhow the law says that both the intent and the "physical element" have to be present

Law? There's a court of law which says what is and what isn't a genocide? How come the Turks haven't been condemned for the Armenian genocide then? I note you refuse to answer on the aspect of destruction of a culture, and a way of life. You also seem unaware of the dispersion aspect, if a people is not only killed but also dispersed to live in camps or all over the world with no hope - a solid refusal - of return where does that fit into your pedantic scheme? Rather than be objective you appear to be trying to devise a tailor made definition to let the Israelis off the hook.

As for the Blitz it was an attempt to demoralize the British, Hitler was convinced he could do a deal with the British establishment, maybe he spent to much time with defrocked English aristocrats? - so it was absolutely not his intention to commit a genocide, Brits are Aryans after all. Why do you and Toby keep bringing in examples that are so inappropriate? There are enough real ones available.
 seankenny 25 Jul 2014

> I'm flattered but I don't think anything I say can be considered "early 21st century" but as for the definitions I cited they were from UN documents and dated back to 1948.

I've been arguing within these parameters all along.

>Since there have been many other ideas expressed on the subject, in particular bringing in deliberate attempts to destroy a culture, which is particularly pertinent concerning the Israelis

Interesting. Do any of these ideas have a legal standing which would actually, you know, result in any kind of prosecution? Or allow the UN, or a major govt, to say "this is legally a genocide" - as the UN have been saying the Israelis and Hamas have both been committing war crimes?

> I could spend hours replying to other points but could you at least react on this idea of obliteration of a culture and physical country, names included?

> Genocide is a cumulative thing

So what time period are you using? The Holocaust, the Armenian Genocide, Rwanda - all occured within fairly tight time frames. A policy of mass kiling was decided upon, set up, huge numbers of people were murdered. You haven't settled upon a date which this started, first it was 19th century, then from 1948. Can you give a rough starting date as to when the Israelis' policy of mass murder was instituted (and who decided upon it). When did the mass murder begin?

> The Israeli method is different, opportunistic, in 47-48 they killed many and drove hundreds of thousands out, never to return (something refused by the Geneva convention BTW) since at each Israeli/Arab war they have killed quite a few an driven more out.

Agreed. But this doesn't make it a genocide. If, as you said, it's opportunistic that would seem to mitigate against there being intent.

>The most horrendous invention that of Gaza, a strip of land, wired off and used as a concentration camp, but one that they whittle down by regular massacres like the present one...

Gaza is an abomination, that is true. But is it actually a "concentration camp". I could think of many differences, for example a semi-functioning state exists in Gaza which is not usually the case in concentration camps.

Yes, they are killing lots of people, but are the population being "whittled down". If that were the case, wouldn't we see the population of Gaza slowly shrinking? But instead I think it's growing...

Quick question, Bruce. Why do you feel so strongly about the crimes of the Israeli govt, in comparision to the govts of Russia, Syria, Sri Lanka, N Korea etc? And why, as the world faces its second famine in five years, aren't you fuming to the same level about under-funded famine relief programmes, the results of which usually kill more people than bombs on Gaza do? (They certainly did in Somalia.)

seankenny 25 Jul 2014
> Law? There's a court of law which says what is and what isn't a genocide?

Yes, that is the point of "the definitions I [Bruce] cited ... from UN documents." I imagine someone who knows more about law then I do (not hard) could tell you much more about how it works.

> How come the Turks haven't been condemned for the Armenian genocide then?

This is of course an interesting question. Ignoring the fact that the prime mover behind the genocide was assasinated, and the laws weren't drawn up until 35 years later, how can a current govt be held accountable for the actions of a predecessor. Would you indict David Cameron for starting the Iraq war?

>I note you refuse to answer on the aspect of destruction of a culture, and a way of life.

Sorry, I was busy discussing the Palestinian love of donkey jokes with a colleague (not a lie, I really was).

>You also seem unaware of the dispersion aspect, if a people is not only killed but also dispersed to live in camps or all over the world with no hope - a solid refusal - of return where does that fit into your pedantic scheme? Rather than be objective you appear to be trying to devise a tailor made definition to let the Israelis off the hook.

Erm, no, it's not my pedantic scheme, it's the UN's, which you've quoted. I'll quote them again:

"Article II: In the present Convention, genocide means any of the following acts committed with intent to destroy, in whole or in part, a national, ethnical, racial or religious group, as such:

(d) Imposing measures intended to prevent births within the group;

(e) Forcibly transferring children of the group to another group."

The whole dispersal thing, where would you class it in (a) - (e)? The definition isn't "taylor made to let Israelis off the hook", it's what the UN has decided upon. I can't help that! Instead of bending the rules to fit the evidence, take the evidence and show me how it fits the rules, like a good prosecutor.
Post edited at 18:18
 Bruce Hooker 25 Jul 2014
In reply to seankenny:

> Interesting. Do any of these ideas have a legal standing which would actually, you know, result in any kind of prosecution?

You seem obsessed by legalities whereas most people aren't, they use the term genocide when it fits in with their notion of what the term means to them. Legalities are of no value at this level as there is no court which is clearly independent, any attempts such as Nuremberg are the courts of the winning side, at present it's flagrant that the existing efforts only act when Uncle Sam calls them, if not why isn't Israel ever brought before them despite the massacres?

So get this into your head, to be blunt, calling this a genocide is not in terms of any court, it is in terms of linguistics, I think, as do many others that the Palestinian people is suffering a long slow genocide at the hands of it zionist, Jewish, Israeli (use the term you prefer) conquerors.

Again why look for fixed time scale? There can long or slow genocides, the N American Indians suffered a long, slow genocide, they aren't all dead, some tribes are but not all but it's still a genocide. Their way of life, their culture has been destroyed too, which can be seen a s a cultural genocide. The argument against this is that economic changes do mean some cultures will disappear so for it to be really genocidal there must be violence involved so all in all I think most people would say there was a genocide committed against the native N Americans... No need for courts.

In Palestine it's much the same, it started when the first zionists arrived, their stated intention was genocide, to take Palestine to become Israel, the chosen land for the chosen people - a land without people for a people without a land... says it all really, doesn't it?

> Quick question, Bruce. Why do you feel so strongly about the crimes of the Israeli govt, in comparision to the govts of Russia, Syria, Sri Lanka, N Korea etc?

Doing a Toby, are you? I'll return the question, why are you posting about Palestine yourself? I guess it's for the same reason as me, because it's here and it's now. Death toll over 800 now more than 200 children, hospitals, schools, safe havens, all deliberately blown to bits by people like us, supported by our governments. Isn't that enough for you? It makes me sick, just as the bombing of Libya made me sick, the brutal work of over-powerful cowards, squashing a people that has lost everything already.

"And to those who have shall be given and from those who have not it shall be taken away even the little that they have"

A passage of the bible that I always did have trouble with.
 TobyA 25 Jul 2014

> who had a good word for any "experts", quite the opposite.

Yes, those people who know things are so annoying aren't they? Much better to just continually repeat things you have no evidence for at all until you convince yourself you're correct.

Bruce Hooker 25 Jul 2014
In reply to TobyA:
> Yes, those people who know things are so annoying aren't they?

Even worse are those who know nothing but just keep on repeating the lies of others. Looking at the world about us does it look like the "experts" are much good at running it? All most of them do is learn to blab then work for the highest payers... Ukraine, Iraq, Yugoslavia, Syria, Gaza... does it look like the experts really know much. Then nearer home the unemployment that has ravaged Europe for decades, despite the advice experts give to governments. We all realise that you see yourself as an expert but maybe you should choose a better role model?

I once heard a funny definition of an expert, here's a page about "experts", it doesn't give the one I was thinking of but it covers some of the ground:

http://bugsinthenews.info/?p=4820
Post edited at 22:05
 TobyA 25 Jul 2014

You shout "liar" a lot these days, but maybe you could just deal with the actual evidence.

> Which as anyone who has a telly and a pair of eyes and ear know is the case, Mrs Clinton was livid that she couldn't have another war like in Libya but she was blocked by the Russian and Chinese veto. You know this too, why do you insist on saying you don't. Everyone reading your words knows they are lies,

You can read the vetoes and the draft resolutions here: http://www.un.org/depts/dhl/resguide/scact_veto_en.shtml

4 Oct. 2011 http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-15177114 "The European-drafted resolution had been watered down to try to avoid the vetoes, dropping a direct reference to sanctions against Damascus."

4 Feb 2012 http://www.theguardian.com/world/2012/feb/04/assad-obama-resign-un-resoluti... "All 13 other members of the council, including the US, France and Britain, voted in favour of the resolution, which backed an Arab peace plan aimed at stopping the violence in Syria."

19 July 2012 http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-18914578 "Under the Western-backed plan, the Damascus government would have been threatened with non-military sanctions under Chapter Seven of the UN Charter if it failed to move troops and heavy weapons from populated areas."

22 May 2014 http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/may/22/russia-china-veto-un-draft-res... "Russia and China have vetoed a draft UN resolution calling for the crisis in Syria to be referred to the international criminal court – ignoring support for the measure by 65 other countries and all other members of the security council."

I think it was only the Feb. 2012 one where the Russians claimed it "potentially could" lead to intervention, all the others were because they were seen as interference in internal affairs which is even more of laugh after they invaded Ukraine.

By the time Obama did seek congressional approval for military action, which he didn't get, Kerry was the sec state, not Clinton.

TobyA 25 Jul 2014

So are you saying because you know the truth about everything that you are "the expert"?

You keep linking Global Research articles with easily demonstrable factual errors in them, but they fit your politics so what does it matter that they're actually bollocks. Was it 10 years ago when we started arguing? I remember you were using a figure from a review of a Ken Loach film on the number of people who were killed in the Chilean coup and dictatorship and wouldn't accept the figure that the Chilean truth and reconciliation committee had concluded. Things don't change much eh?
 seankenny 25 Jul 2014

A stirring riposte. Can I ask why you introduced the UN's definition of a genocide if you've no interest in using those criteria?

The problem with defining a genocide as whatever you feel it is... Where to start? Your opponents may feel it isn't, you feel it is, blah blah blah. That's why we try to develop frameworks in which to work. You argue that US support makes a mockery of the law - true. So your response is to ignore the law and let your own outrage be the measure of all things. How can that be a positive development?
 seankenny 25 Jul 2014

As for your belief that there's a genocide going on, a long slow one like the Native Americans suffered. Where's the evidence? Show me the population figures - if these people are being wiped out there'll be fewer of them? Or is it one of those strange genocides in which the population is increasing? I'm sorry to return to numbers, but I can't see any way of resolving this dispute that's not just a subjective maelstrom of outrage and anger...
 Bruce Hooker 25 Jul 2014
In reply to TobyA:

Which of these expert quotes prove that the USA wan't keen to interfere in Syria? As an expert you will remember that for Libya the motions were vague and the Russians and Chinese didn't veto them then kicked themselves when the motions were used to justify massive NATO armed intervention. For Syria it was once bitten twice shy and they just said no, to the fury of the USA and puppies... and many experts.

None of which prevented the spin merchants, many trained by US NGOs from using plan B, a bloody civil war and thousands of pseudo jihadis.
 Bruce Hooker 25 Jul 2014
In reply to seankenny:

I have to go to bed now, an hour later where I am, but the numbers question could be an argument (quite why you spend so much time on attempts to devalue the critics of Israel I don't know) but it's not only numbers - squeezing hundreds of thousands of people (1.8 million in Gaza) out of their normal homeland into a strip the size of greater Glasgow - and then cutting them off from the outside world to the extent of actually calculating the calories each one needed and only allowing this much in is an act that counts in the notion too. There's also the relative population figure compared to their "enemy" people that puts them in a position of great disadvantage. Add to this the illegal (if you like legalisms) refusal of allowing people to return to their homes after a period of war (Geneva Convention) you arrive at a degradation of life to one that is barely human... sounds like a genocide to me, do you insist that they should also be so thoroughly butchered in a world of population explosion that their actual numbers should drop too?

I'll post an article tomorrow I've just received but I need my sleep for the (illegal) demo tomorrow - great to live in a Socialist country, inventors of the "Rights of Man"
 TobyA 25 Jul 2014

The UNSC resolution on Libya authorized a no-fly zone and "all necessary measures to protect civilians under threat of attack in the country, including Benghazi, while excluding a foreign occupation force of any form on any part of Libyan territory" http://www.un.org/News/Press/docs/2011/sc10200.doc.htm It overtly authorized armed action.
 Bruce Hooker 26 Jul 2014
In reply to TobyA:

> It overtly authorized armed action.

Sorry but that's not how it was understood by the Russians and Chinese, they were furious when they saw they had been shafted, it was all over the press at the time - especially the Chinese as the Libyans had been moving towards them for oil exploitation and the invasion put a block on that, the new regime has gone back to Western countries... one of the probable reasons for the invasion amongst others like sheer hate for Gadaffi.

But you know all this, stop playing the naive.
 Bruce Hooker 26 Jul 2014
In reply to seankenny:

Here's the article I promised, nothing very original but he pulls it all together well, written by Mouin Rabbani.

http://www.windmillweb.info/various/Israel_mows_the_lawn.doc
 TobyA 26 Jul 2014
It's in the bloody resolution that I linked, just read it. I don't think the entire foreign ministries of Russia and China didn't actually read the resolution they abstained on.

And please stop telling me that I know things that you can't show to be true.
Post edited at 10:21
contrariousjim 26 Jul 2014
In reply to seankenny:

> Oh I don't know, the denigration of experts in favour of one's own opinion is a distinctly modern thing. (Not that I'm an expert, of course!)

I'd say the shoe is on the other foot! The denigration of expertise has gone hand in hand with top down post modernism in our political and international news culture. The truth from our leaders (not our punters) is what ever you can get away with saying even in the teeth of contrary evidence, irrationality and lack of philosophical underpinning. So its necessary to look for that evidence, rationality and philosophical underpinning oneself. Personally I prefer history, linguistics and ethics as the proper basis for this discussion, whereas you've made your bed in "political science", a contradiction in terms if ever there was one. It'll keep apologists for political science like Toby happy, but that is why there is so much fundamental disagreement with you on this thread.
 seankenny 26 Jul 2014

> quite why you spend so much time on attempts to devalue the critics of Israel I don't know

Without wanting to sound like a pretentious ponce (ha! some hope!), it's because I'm more interested in the truth than in being partisan. I would like my criticism of a particular state of affairs to be accurate, well-thought out, I'd like them tested by argument. You don't actually argue, I've noticed, just write down lists of outrageous events that you feel strongly about. You bring out the criteria for genoicde when it suits you, then refuse to argue whether this situation fits those criteria, saying it's being pedantic. Your opposition brooks no subtlety, or grey areas, and reminds me of nothing so much as a dodgy copper playing with evidence and law to convict his man.

> squeezing hundreds of thousands of people (1.8 million in Gaza) out of their normal homeland into a strip the size of greater Glasgow - and then cutting them off from the outside world to the extent of actually calculating the calories each one needed and only allowing this much in is an act that counts in the notion too.

What is happening - and has happened over years - in Gaza is appalling. There is no excuse for it. But it's not genocide. The whole calories thing, personally I reckon if there was a genocide going on the Palestinians would be being starved to death, whereas actually they're not. It's a horrible state of affairs, but how many people has it actually killed? Because genocide is mass murder, and that's not happening here.

> There's also the relative population figure compared to their "enemy" people that puts them in a position of great disadvantage. Add to this the illegal (if you like legalisms) refusal of allowing people to return to their homes after a period of war (Geneva Convention) you arrive at a degradation of life to one that is barely human... sounds like a genocide to me, do you insist that they should also be so thoroughly butchered in a world of population explosion that their actual numbers should drop too?

I agree that it is a dehumanising affair, with much that is illegal. It may sound like a genocide to YOU, but why is your opinion equal to experts in the field who've thought long and hard about what genocide is, about how we can define it? My apologies if you've a masters in international relations or something and have actually studied this stuff...

Clearly I do not insist they should be "butchered", and quite frankly it's an insult to suggest that. All I'm saying that if you want to describe it as a genocide, then you're wrong because you're missing the essential attributes of a genocide. As I've said above, it's all very emotive and makes some of us feel good, but it's just hot air.
 seankenny 26 Jul 2014

> Here's the article I promised, nothing very original but he pulls it all together well, written by Mouin Rabbani.

I read that article in the LRB where it was first published (bet you don't believe in copyright laws either eh?).

It's a good article, that's true. But tell me, does he say it's a genocide?
 seankenny 26 Jul 2014

>Personally I prefer history, linguistics and ethics as the proper basis for this discussion, whereas you've made your bed in "political science", a contradiction in terms if ever there was one. It'll keep apologists for political science like Toby happy, but that is why there is so much fundamental disagreement with you on this thread.

I'm sorry if I've used as a basis for my argument the definition used by all international organisations whose job it is to analyse these matters in preference to some punter's self-made view, but you've not laid out a definition and shown how this meets your definition. Or rather you have, pretty much by default, but it's so broad that I can include almost anything as a genocide.

I'm not sure where this thing about history comes from, iirc I've posted lots on other historial events, we've discused Armenia, Sri Lanka, Syria, I've pulled in population data for Palestine going back as far as the late 19th century. That looks pretty much taking a historial view to me...
 spearing05 26 Jul 2014
In reply to Timmd:

This is a genuine question because it is something I don't know but keep wandering about in all this so please keep replies civil.

Why is there so much made of the Israeli blockade of Gaza when (as I understand it) Egypt maintains a similar level of control over the crossingat Rafah? The history of this seems very mixed with at times Egypt closing it and Hamas also, who even at one time threatened to shell palastinisns attempting to return to their homes.

Re the genocide discussion above, it seems to me that the difficulty would be in proving intent. As Toby says, if the intent was there then the IDF could easily wipe out the whole of Gaza. On the other side, Hamas has clearly stated its intent but is pretty much impotent to carry out is wishes.

Please don't get me wrong as I really don't know enough about the issues but it seems to me that Israel is held to a standard Hamas is not in these discussions. Yes Israel had committed war crimes and yes those responsible for them should be convicted but there has been almost no mention in this thread of the crimes committed by Hamas, does that mean there are none (again, genuine question) Also, several times the density of the bombing has been brought up and also the concentration of people into Gaza, does this not actually show a deliberate effort not to target civilians? Again I'm not asking in order to take sides but out of genuine interest. How do you shell a area so densely populated without civilian casualties? Certainly we couldn't manage it in Iraq or Afghanistan.
In reply to seankenny:
> >Personally I prefer history, linguistics and ethics as the proper basis for this discussion, whereas you've made your bed in "political science", a contradiction in terms if ever there was one. It'll keep apologists for political science like Toby happy, but that is why there is so much fundamental disagreement with you on this thread.

> I'm sorry if I've used as a basis for my argument the definition used by all international organisations whose job it is to analyse these matters in preference to some punter's self-made view, but you've not laid out a definition and shown how this meets your definition. Or rather you have, pretty much by default, but it's so broad that I can include almost anything as a genocide.

Genus: a kind of thing, a people, a race. -cide: killing of, elimination of. The obsession with the time and most recent numbers which this deliberate targeted conscious phenomenon has occurred is for those who have moved from moral reasoning to bean counting. What else is it that has occurred over the last century to the Palestinians? Your desire to make recourse to international institutions that have evidentially failed on, if not actually helped to cause this mess via bias and intransigence does not help your argument. Besides which, you've got it backwards: those institutions are not a post hoc authority, but rather a servant to the greater authority in the moral imperatives of people.
Post edited at 11:43
 seankenny 26 Jul 2014

> Genus: a kind of thing, a people, a race. -cide: killing of, elimination of. The time and manner over which this deliberate targeted conscious phenomenon has occurred is for those who have moved from moral reasoning to bean counting. What else is it that has occurred over the last century to the Palestinians? Your desire to make recourse to international institutions that have evidentially failed on, if not actually helped to cause this mess via bias and i transigence does not help your argument. Besides which, you've got it backwards: those institutions are not a post hoc authority, but rather a servant to the greater authority in the moral imperatives of people

So here's a thing. I looked up the etymology of the word genocide in the online etymolgoy dictionary. It was conied in 1944 by a lawyer called Lemkin in response to the Holocaust. Lemkin was one of those behind the Geneva Conventions which we've been discussing - or not - throughout the thread. So taking your prompt of history and linguistics, we find that genocide is inextricably linked with the legalistic description which you abhor.

Interestingly, Lemkin proposed a broader definition of a genocide than the one originally taken up. Actually, here I think you'd be on stronger ground to argue a genocide.

According to wikipedia, Lemkin wrote:
"Generally speaking, genocide does not necessarily mean the immediate destruction of a nation, except when accomplished by mass killings of all members of a nation. It is intended rather to signify a coordinated plan of different actions aiming at the destruction of essential foundations of the life of national groups, with the aim of annihilating the groups themselves. The objectives of such a plan would be disintegration of the political and social institutions, of culture, language, national feelings, religion, and the economic existence of national groups, and the destruction of the personal security, liberty, health, dignity, and even the lives of the individuals belonging to such groups. Genocide is directed against the national group as an entity, and the actions involved are directed against individuals, not in their individual capacity, but as members of the national group."

Personally, I think the Israelis have aimed for the destruction of the Palestinian people as a viable political force, and they certainly tick off plenty of Lemkins list of horrors, but the fact they've negotiated with the PA, albeit in bad faith, whilst battling Hamas, suggests to me their work is political, rather than tryng to destroy Palestinians "as members of a national group".

As for international organisations not helping, hasn't the UN already declared the possibility of Israeli war crimes in this conflict? Sure, they can't do much about it, but then we're into a whole different kettle of fish about the limits of national sovereignty etc etc.

seankenny 26 Jul 2014

>The obsession with the time and most recent numbers which this deliberate targeted conscious phenomenon has occurred is for those who have moved from moral reasoning to bean counting. What else is it that has occurred over the last century to the Palestinians?

The problem is, how can I answer your question - what has happened to the Palestinians? - without recourse to the facts, some of which come in the form of numbers? Please, suggest a methodology, a way of examining this conflict, which is free of numbers... You want to talk about land appropriated - how can we talk about this without hectares of olive groves, kilometres of concrete walls? How can we come to a judgement if a people has been eliminated without looking at the numbers of those people?

It's not bean counting, or heartless, just a way of ascertaining what's happening.
In reply to seankenny:

> So here's a thing. I looked up the etymology of the word genocide in the online etymolgoy dictionary. It was conied in 1944 by a lawyer called Lemkin in response to the Holocaust.

Who coined it with this description:
"By ‘genocide’ we mean the destruction of a nation or of an ethnic group."

> Lemkin was one of those behind the Geneva Conventions which we've been discussing - or not - throughout the thread. So taking your prompt of history and linguistics, we find that genocide is inextricably linked with the legalistic description which you abhor.

It is not that that I abhor. It is those who want to turn such description into quantitative bean counts. Its people who forget the phenomenon that led to the term, and the moral imperatives in our objection to it, and obsess about post hoc authorities instead.

> Interestingly, Lemkin proposed a broader definition of a genocide than the one originally taken up. Actually, here I think you'd be on stronger ground to argue a genocide.

> According to wikipedia, Lemkin wrote:

> "Generally speaking, genocide does not necessarily mean the immediate destruction of a nation, except when accomplished by mass killings of all members of a nation. It is intended rather to signify a coordinated plan of different actions aiming at the destruction of essential foundations of the life of national groups, with the aim of annihilating the groups themselves. The objectives of such a plan would be disintegration of the political and social institutions, of culture, language, national feelings, religion, and the economic existence of national groups, and the destruction of the personal security, liberty, health, dignity, and even the lives of the individuals belonging to such groups. Genocide is directed against the national group as an entity, and the actions involved are directed against individuals, not in their individual capacity, but as members of the national group."

> Personally, I think the Israelis have aimed for the destruction of the Palestinian people as a viable political force, and they certainly tick off plenty of Lemkins list of horrors, but the fact they've negotiated with the PA, albeit in bad faith, whilst battling Hamas, suggests to me their work is political, rather than tryng to destroy Palestinians "as members of a national group".

I'll leave you to your delusions.

> As for international organisations not helping, hasn't the UN already declared the possibility of Israeli war crimes in this conflict? Sure, they can't do much about it, but then we're into a whole different kettle of fish about the limits of national sovereignty etc etc.

Talking of possibilities has happened many times. Its never happened, and it won't happen here, unless there is a paradigm shift in attitude.
In reply to seankenny:

> >The obsession with the time and most recent numbers which this deliberate targeted conscious phenomenon has occurred is for those who have moved from moral reasoning to bean counting. What else is it that has occurred over the last century to the Palestinians?

> The problem is, how can I answer your question - what has happened to the Palestinians? - without recourse to the facts, some of which come in the form of numbers?

Its a different thing to define behaviour with numbers, than to describe events with numbers. You're argument with Shani was all about the numbers, and you'd forgotten the axiomatic moral abhorrence that lies at the core of what it is we object to.
 seankenny 26 Jul 2014

> I'll leave you to your delusions.

Thing is, this is where your argument falls down - by not actually arguing. I put forward a perfectly good case that the Israelis are doing one thing, but not another - and rather than counter that, you accuse me of being delusional.

> Talking of possibilities has happened many times. Its never happened, and it won't happen here, unless there is a paradigm shift in attitude.

Well, agreed, and I think that change in attitudes is taking place. But I don't think that talking about genocide actually helps matters, as there are so many reasons why it isn't a genocide, that it weakens your case (which mostly consists of shouting "it is, because I say so!").

Changing society and political viewpoints requires the pairing of genuine outrage with a cool assessment of facts.
 seankenny 26 Jul 2014

> Its a different thing to define behaviour with numbers, than to describe events with numbers.

I'm confused here, as you can use numbers to do both. Which shouldn't we be doing?

> You're argument with Shani was all about the numbers, and you'd forgotten the axiomatic moral abhorrence that lies at the core of what it is we object to.

You seem to have become a little windy-worded this morning. Aside from wondering just how you can possibly know what I have remembered or forgotten, I'm not sure what an "axiomatic moral abhorence" is. You mean I've forgotten how terrible the situation is? Or what we mean by war and conflict?

Bruce Hooker 26 Jul 2014
In reply to seankenny:

> It's a good article, that's true. But tell me, does he say it's a genocide?

No, it doesn't give the price orange juice in Miami either.

> bet you don't believe in copyright laws either eh?

Not that much, but I very much doubt that the author would object to his text being made public... So it's all a legality thing for you, is it, well what about the Geneva Convention which bans the use of war to change populations? That is to drive out the existing population and replace it with another when the war is over? Or any of the multitude of UN resolutions that Israel refuses to respect?

When you you speak in this post of experts who have decided what interpretation they put on the word "genocide" why should I, and all the millions of people who use the term for what's going on in Palestine, accept your bunch's meaning as being any more exact than ours? It's not as if using the word in itself has any concrete consequences, it's a word, which conveys a feeling. Just as some refer to the 900 dead (it went up when they started clearing the rubble) as butchery and others say collateral damage or some other term, it would be ridiculous to spend days arguing about the word, each person uses the word that conveys their feelings about the event, the difference of words used is down to the difference of opinions.

There is a limit of course and you want to put this limit in a different place to me, because we have different opinions. You may try the pure academic sitting on the fence only looking for truth ploy but that's a cop out, there's no sitting on the fence possible for what's happening in Gaza, not within the realms of decency anyway.
 Bruce Hooker 26 Jul 2014
In reply to seankenny:

> I'm sorry if I've used as a basis for my argument the definition used by all international organisations whose job it is to analyse these matters in preference to some punter's self-made view,

You haven't you've used one that suited your opinions.
 seankenny 26 Jul 2014

> You haven't you've used one that suited your opinions.

Bruce, if you're going to argue, please do it in good faith. I have consistently and repeatedly refered to the UN's definition, which is the same one that you posted - iirc posted twice.

Posts like this make you look like a big, petulant baby.
 seankenny 26 Jul 2014

> It's not as if using the word in itself has any concrete consequences...

Maybe not for Omar al-Bashir.
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2010/jul/12/bashir-charged-with-darfur-gen...

Bruce Hooker 26 Jul 2014
In reply to seankenny:

> which is the same one that you posted - iirc posted twice.

Well no, it isn't, take a look again. I don't think you can have the pretension to tell others what they mean by "genocide". As I've said already whole books have been written on the subject, you want to limit it to one rather vague definition. You really have to accept that the world isn't run by such methods, if it was there would be no problem, the case would have been tried, a judgement pronounced and everybody would be content - does that look how the real world works?
 Bruce Hooker 26 Jul 2014
In reply to seankenny:

> Maybe not for Omar al-Bashir.

Even using your example, he is being tried for what he did, killing thousands of people, whether it is called genocide or murder does that change much?
 seankenny 27 Jul 2014

Bruce, I did just check and we both posted the same definition, the one I've been working with all along. It is the internationally accepted definition based very closely on the definition of the man who actually coined the word. It's not something I've made up. You've posted exactly the same definition yourself and asked me to use it.

Either you're shitting me to get a reaction, or you are genuinely a bit mad. The first would be more reassuring (tho in bad faith).

This has nothing to do with your opinion, btw, only with your denial of having posted things you blatantly have.
 Bruce Hooker 27 Jul 2014
In reply to seankenny:

At one point when you were referring to Detroit, I gave a definition from a 1948 UN text similar to yours but with no a, b, c, presentation making it seem more open but I followed this with:

> But whole books have been written on the subject and I don't think a pedantic approach is very useful. The key point seems to me to be the "in whole or in part, a national, ethnical, racial or religious group", that it can be applied to various human groups and often the destruction of a culture is included, which applies particularly in Palestine as the zionists have a liking for physically destroying villages by bulldozer and then building renamed villages for "Jews only" above them, Palestinians have written of coming back to their village to find it effaced, even the well, mosque, every thing. This deliberate effort to "efface a past" is also a part of the notion of genocide IMO.

I don't think you've responded to this, nor included other references given by yourself:

"So here's a thing. I looked up the etymology of the word genocide in the online etymolgoy dictionary. It was conied in 1944 by a lawyer called Lemkin in response to the Holocaust. Lemkin was one of those behind the Geneva Conventions which we've been discussing - or not - throughout the thread. So taking your prompt of history and linguistics, we find that genocide is inextricably linked with the legalistic description which you abhor.

Interestingly, Lemkin proposed a broader definition of a genocide than the one originally taken up. Actually, here I think you'd be on stronger ground to argue a genocide.

According to wikipedia, Lemkin wrote:
"Generally speaking, genocide does not necessarily mean the immediate destruction of a nation, except when accomplished by mass killings of all members of a nation. It is intended rather to signify a coordinated plan of different actions aiming at the destruction of essential foundations of the life of national groups, with the aim of annihilating the groups themselves. The objectives of such a plan would be disintegration of the political and social institutions, of culture, language, national feelings, religion, and the economic existence of national groups, and the destruction of the personal security, liberty, health, dignity, and even the lives of the individuals belonging to such groups. Genocide is directed against the national group as an entity, and the actions involved are directed against individuals, not in their individual capacity, but as members of the national group."

Personally, I think the Israelis have aimed for the destruction of the Palestinian people as a viable political force, and they certainly tick off plenty of Lemkins list of horrors, but the fact they've negotiated with the PA, albeit in bad faith, whilst battling Hamas, suggests to me their work is political, rather than tryng to destroy Palestinians "as members of a national group"

And I don't think you can deny that ethnic cleansing has been carried out against the Palestinians either, which all adds to the charge of genocide. Basically if you accept that the Native Americans have been victims of genocide then I don't see how you can deny the Palestinians are in the same process... but that's up to you, latest figures are over 1000 dead BTW.

seankenny 27 Jul 2014

So you're claiming that because one definition had the clauses lettered that the meaning was different... Sheesh!

Anyhow, it's clear if you think about it that genocide and ethnic cleansing are different and it's perfectly possible to have one without the other.

Of course the big difference between Palestian and the Native Americans is that massive numbers of them were killed, a huge proportion of their population (it would be I interesting to see the figures) whereas there are now more Palestinians now than in 1947. That's not to belittle the appalling deaths of Palestinians both recently and over the decades.
 Bruce Hooker 27 Jul 2014
In reply to seankenny:

Are you sure there are not more descendants of Native Americans today then there were back in the 19th century? I'm not. But they have lost their lands and their culture, a genocide for most people even if you are still looking for "proof". It's the same with the Palestinians, throughout the world there are about 11 million of them, far more than at the beginning of the 19th century, yet they have been mostly chased from Palestine, their way of life has been destroyed pretty well and they have lost all but a fraction of their lands, and that fraction is occupied by violent, racist, alien people. They have no freedom and little dignity except in the way they choose to die, standing up or cowering... sounds pretty much like for the Amerindians, except that it is still going on and on and on.

> That's not to belittle the appalling deaths of Palestinians both recently and over the decades.

Really, I thought that that was precisely what your pedantry was about.... pages of posts to get away from the real subject.
 Jon Stewart 27 Jul 2014
In reply to seankenny and Bruce Hooker:
I think this question of genocide is interesting, but it does seem to boil down rather to an exercise in definitions. Personally I see racism along a sliding scale, at the severe end including these 'markers':

- Seeing people of another race as inferior and denying them equal rights and opportunities
- Seeing people of another race as inhuman or worthless, and thus treating their deaths as inconsequential
- Seeing people of another race as a threat to the in-group's access to resources, a an evil force and taking action to eliminate the threat by mass murder

The latter is the way I would define genocide, although of course this definition is not sophisticated and carries no weight as I just made it up. But for me, Isreal's actions sit squarely in the middle of these forms of severe racism. Even if there are elements within the Israeli far right whose intentions are genocidal, on balance the assault on Gaza cannot truthfully be described as an attempt to wipe out the Palestinians in this way.

I would also point out that equally deep racism and genocidal intentions exist within the Hamas nutcases, but given the brutal oppression of the Palestinian people it is at least a little easier to understand how such hatred has been bred.
Post edited at 15:20
 TobyA 28 Jul 2014

> you'd forgotten the axiomatic moral abhorrence that lies at the core of what it is we object to.

But why is our/your moral abhorrence axiomatic here but not over the mass murder that has gone on in CAR over the last few months? Or the dispossession of the Saharwis of their homeland? etc. Is it axiomatic because we see it on the news? Do we have moral abhorrence of event only when BBC World or Al Jaazeera have their cameras running? If a Muslim child is macheted to death by the Anti-balaka in a CAR forest does anyone hear him scream?
 Bruce Hooker 28 Jul 2014
In reply to TobyA:

These dimwitted, whataboutery remarks have been answered dozens of times, are you never going to give up?

Maybe you should have been in Marseilles yesterday, there was a demonstration there in favour of Israel, lead by the UMP mayor Jean-Claude Gaudin. Surely it time you had a coming out on this subject? You can't keep on beating around the bush like this.
 TobyA 28 Jul 2014

Moving on to "Whataboutery" from "Red Herrings" Brucey? Bring back the fish - although of course last week when people were discussing the downing of MH17 I noticed you didn't have much to say beyond rehashing the shooting down of the Iranian airbus 30 years ago and that the Ukrainian government have been bombing areas of Eastern Ukraine. What colour are your herrings?

Or perhaps you could just let contrariousjim answer the question because I'm interested in his thoughts.

p.s. read this the other day and thought of you http://www.salon.com/2014/07/26/strange_bedfellows_putin_the_chomskyite_lef...
 Shani 28 Jul 2014

An interesting perspective from Sam Harris: http://www.samharris.org/blog/item/why-dont-i-criticize-israel
 Bruce Hooker 28 Jul 2014
In reply to TobyA:

> Moving on to "Whataboutery" from "Red Herrings" Brucey?

I hadn't heard the term before but it applies more precisely to what you do, whataboutery is a subset of red-herrings, but just as silly.

Concerning the Ukraine plane maybe we should wait for the black boxes and so on to give us some facts rather than jump on a propaganda train? Asia Times has a little to say on the subject, I know they are not acceptable media for you but as you insist:

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Central_Asia/CEN-01-190714.html

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Central_Asia/CEN-01-230714.html

If I wanted to whatabout you I could ask you why you have never condemned the >1000 civilians dead at the hands of the Kiev chocolate butcher. You or the press in general, perhaps they are Slavs and we all know they don't matter?

Well done though, another thread about Israel's crimes well off subject.
contrariousjim 28 Jul 2014
In reply to TobyA:

> But why is our/your moral abhorrence axiomatic here but not over the mass murder that has gone on in CAR over the last few months? Or the dispossession of the Saharwis of their homeland? etc. Is it axiomatic because we see it on the news? Do we have moral abhorrence of event only when BBC World or Al Jaazeera have their cameras running? If a Muslim child is macheted to death by the Anti-balaka in a CAR forest does anyone hear him scream?

Well its a simple point of fact that you can only object to what you know about! Which is a reason to be suspicious of the agenda of news and media organisations, and one's sources of information. But this thread being on the subject of Gaza, it has focussed on Gaza, but there is every reason to object to what is happening in CAR, Mosul, Benghazi, Syria, etc. Gaza certainly isn't unique in provoking outrage. It's not just about media coverage, but also about the development of consciousness on international issues, which on Israel is a consciousness that has been developed from many decades of familiarity with the issues. That doesn't mean that there is less of a morally objection in the context of other issues, and it doesn't mean that moral objection has to be unique to the particular situation.
 TobyA 28 Jul 2014

You realise that Pepe is a columnist don't you? Not a reporter who has gone there and looked at things? There is a difference. In fact reading those articles, the Salon column I linked could be written exactly about Mr Escobar don't you think.
 Bruce Hooker 28 Jul 2014
In reply to Shani:

> An interesting perspective from Sam Harris: http://www.samharris.org/blog/item/why-dont-i-criticize-israel

"Interesting" isn't the word I would use! Did you read it through to the end? I did, 15 minutes of my life that I'll never get back as they say, and I think the word I would use is "nauseating", or nothing, just let it drift away in the etherspace.
 Bruce Hooker 28 Jul 2014
In reply to TobyA:

> don't you think.

No, he seems to travel a bit, a little more than you or I. It's all opinion, of course, but often better informed than most, and with a different perspective, we all tend to see things too much from a Western, in the geographical sense, perspective, we forget that most of the world isn't in the West and that we live in a declining part of the world.
 krikoman 28 Jul 2014
In reply to Timmd:

Here's a good video.

youtube.com/watch?v=etXAm-OylQQ&

Sam Harris seems to wash over the UN resolutions against Israel and the fact they are stealing land, and the fact that how can you trust them when they lie all the time!! We have no nuclear weapons, chemical weapons.

As regards human shields, in a an area so densely populated how can they do anything else when there is nowhere to go. I'm not condoning what they do!

But how many innocents do you kill to get a bad man?
 Bruce Hooker 28 Jul 2014
In reply to Shani:

This makes more sensible reading, from the Independent: What if the death tolls had been reversed, 40 Palestinians and 1050 Israelis?:

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/robert-fisk-what-if-it-had-been...

Mike Highbury 28 Jul 2014
In reply to krikoman:
> As regards human shields, in a an area so densely populated how can they do anything else when there is nowhere to go. I'm not condoning what they do!

I think I'll spend my lunch time trying to work out the difference between self-deception and delusion.
 krikoman 28 Jul 2014

> I think I'll spend my lunch time trying to work out the difference between self-deception and delusion.

Knock yourself out, you could always stick you head in the sand.
 Bruce Hooker 28 Jul 2014
In reply to Timmd:

Here's an article that might give a little background to how the Gaza strip came to be. It's written by Ramzy Baroud also author of a very good book "My Father Was a Freedom Fighter: Gaza's Untold Story" (Pluto Press, London). available for the price of a round of beer on Amazon.

It tells the story as seen by an ordinary Palestinian who was driven from his land and then got involved in various wars that have taken place since.

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Middle_East/MID-02-280714.html
 Shani 29 Jul 2014
contrariousjim 29 Jul 2014
In reply to Shani:
>
> http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/5602701
>
> Some good points here:

> do you honestly think Hamas wouldn't find something else to pick a fight about?

Yes, I'm quite sure they would, but the support of Hamas would be less from within the Palestinian people who would not want to provoke a loss of freedom and incursion of rights. Hamas would find it more difficult to recruit. At the moment, the absolute lack of freedom, containment, and lack of basic human rights make Hamas almost look like a pretty reasonable career path, even if you object to their ideological rhetoric.

> Do you honestly think that this has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that they are Jews?

Yes. Because many of those involved are not Jews, and Jews are seen to object publically and vocally against current Israeli action, so there is dissent led from those identifying as Jewish. Its much more about Zionism, or an aggressive political nationalism. And only insomuch as Israeli action is allowed to be conflated with the labels of Jewishness does that kind of outright anti-semitic racism concur with the broad spectrum media and social-media commentary on the issue. Or are we to believe that Louise Mensch is right?
 seankenny 29 Jul 2014

> Are you sure there are not more descendants of Native Americans today then there were back in the 19th century? I'm not. But they have lost their lands and their culture, a genocide for most people even if you are still looking for "proof".

Surely the point is that the genocide of the Native Americans occured a long time ago, finished and the population has now increased again. Whereas you believe that the genocide of the Palestinians is on-going, ie the event is at a totally different phase.

As I said above, losing lands and so on could count as ethnic cleansing, but not genocide. What about the enclosures and the loss of common land in England? It certainly wasn't a genocide.

Why are you so down on looking for "proof". Surely looking for proof is a key part of examining a situation. Feeling does not trump all.

>It's the same with the Palestinians, throughout the world there are about 11 million of them, far more than at the beginning of the 19th century, yet they have been mostly chased from Palestine, their way of life has been destroyed pretty well

A minor point, but worth thinking about: hasn't everybody's way of life been destroyed since the 19th century? The Palestinians may not be working their olive groves now, but then neither else are huge numbers of urbanised Arabs across the Middle East.

> that fraction is occupied by violent, racist, alien people.

What about the Israeli people who have been born in Israel? Are they aliens? By this argument a 2nd generation British Asian is an alien person. Do you believe that?

>it is still going on and on and on.

So is this thread.

> Really, I thought that that was precisely what your pedantry was about.... pages of posts to get away from the real subject.

Surely trying to get a handle of reality and work out what is happening can't be pedantry?

Just out of interest, and there is nothing malicious in this question Bruce, but what did you do your degree in? I'm imagining something to do with politics or a social science, given your passionate interest in these subjects...

Mike Highbury 29 Jul 2014
In reply to seankenny:
> Just out of interest, and there is nothing malicious in this question Bruce, but what did you do your degree in? I'm imagining something to do with politics or a social science, given your passionate interest in these subjects...

No way is he a social scientist nor a historian. That man has something sciencey or engineering written right through his political analysis.
 Bruce Hooker 29 Jul 2014
In reply to Shani:

You seem to have a knack for picking up one sided articles! You do know the Huffington Post is very far from being objective, don't you? For precisely the tribal reasons this creep condemns. This article is nothing to do with facts, pure propaganda.
 seankenny 29 Jul 2014

> You seem to have a knack for picking up one sided articles! You do know the Huffington Post is very far from being objective, don't you? For precisely the tribal reasons this creep condemns. This article is nothing to do with facts, pure propaganda.

Bruce, that article has a few good points and some not so good ones. Why not take the ones you disagree with and shred them? Posting stuff like this just makes you look a bit of an automaton.
 Shani 29 Jul 2014
> (In reply to Shani)
>
> You seem to have a knack for picking up one sided articles! You do know the Huffington Post is very far from being objective, don't you? For precisely the tribal reasons this creep condemns. This article is nothing to do with facts, pure propaganda.

Hi Bruce, I don't mean to pick up one sided articles! I don't agree with all of what is written in either of the links I have posted but I do think they raise some interesting points an wouln't condiser either 'pure propaganda'.

Finding any article with which I agreed totally, and which contained nothing that coul be construed as propgaganda is a big ask. But, I will try.

FWIW I started out from position of 'genocide in Gaza' but, appalling though what is happening in Gaza is, it seems unduly difficult to satisfy the internationally agreed criteria for it.

That Israeli treatment of the Gazans is degrading, dehumanising, disgusting and abhorrent, I totally agree.
 Bruce Hooker 29 Jul 2014
In reply to seankenny:

> As I said above, losing lands and so on could count as ethnic cleansing, but not genocide. What about the enclosures and the loss of common land in England? It certainly wasn't a genocide.

Ethnic cleansing is very close to genocide, if it's really clean then that means there are none left, how does that differ from genocide? - I remind you I'm not talking about legal definition, or ways a dishonest lawyer can get a gangster acquitted, I'l talking like ordinary people in ordinary conversation.

The loss of common land doesn't sound at all like genocide unless the people who lost it also lost all means of subsistence and were massacred at the same time - the Highland Clearances could have become genocide if the Highlanders hadn't had the possibility of a new life in the colonies and maybe some Scots do think of it as such. It's to do with quantitative things and subjective judgement, again we are not in a court of law - you seem to think we are.

> What about the Israeli people who have been born in Israel? Are they aliens? By this argument a 2nd generation British Asian is an alien person. Do you believe that?

If they were born of indigenous Palestinians, whether Jews, Christians or Muslims, whatever then they are natives, if they were born of colonisers then they would be in the same situation as their parents - just like any colonial situation. The French were in Algeria for many generations but they still had to leave. it's obviously not the same for people who move to a country legally and with the acquiescence of the native population, ie. they don't impose themselves by force and push local people out. I find it hard to believe you can't see the difference between, for example, the many French people living in London within EU rules and the crowds of French who came with William the Conqueror.

It's a colonial problem not a religious one.

I have a degree in chemical engineering but I don't see what that has to do with anything.
 Bruce Hooker 29 Jul 2014
In reply to Shani:

> it seems unduly difficult to satisfy the internationally agreed criteria for it.

Don't take Sean's pseudo legalistic gobbledygook for "internationally agreed criteria", what counts is what people mean by the term and many in the world call what is happening to the native Palestinians "genocide". It's a bit like the term we see in the press "world opinion", what it means in the Western press is "Western establishment opinion", and pretty well "US opinion" theses days. In other parts of the world they don't see things the same, and in terms of population they make up the majority of the planet.

That's what's wrong (IMO) with couple of articles you've linked, they see things from the Western imperialist point of view.
 seankenny 29 Jul 2014
> Ethnic cleansing is very close to genocide, if it's really clean then that means there are none left, how does that differ from genocide? - I remind you I'm not talking about legal definition, or ways a dishonest lawyer can get a gangster acquitted, I'l talking like ordinary people in ordinary conversation.

Well, they can be close but aren't necessarily the same thing, if you think about it. Rwanda - iirc people were mostly massacred in or near their homes, ie no ethnic cleansing (at least until aftewards). The Holocaust - genocide with lots of ethnic cleansing.

Was the mass movement of people at the time of Partition a genocide? It doesn't appear on Wikipedia's list of genocides, but there was certainly an element of ethnic cleansing going on. Actually, the wikipedia entry on ethnic cleansing has quite a good section on the differences between that and genocide.

As for your diatribe against a legal definition, I really don't see why you choose to ignore the UN's accepted definition. It seems foolish.

> The loss of common land doesn't sound at all like genocide unless the people who lost it also lost all means of subsistence and were massacred at the same time - the Highland Clearances could have become genocide if the Highlanders hadn't had the possibility of a new life in the colonies and maybe some Scots do think of it as such. It's to do with quantitative things and subjective judgement, again we are not in a court of law - you seem to think we are.

You misunderstand me. I mentioned the loss of common land to show you that losing land doesn't really have much to do with genocide at all, despite you continually listing it as a reason to believe a genocide is underway in Palestine.

> If they were born of indigenous Palestinians, whether Jews, Christians or Muslims, whatever then they are natives, if they were born of colonisers then they would be in the same situation as their parents - just like any colonial situation. The French were in Algeria for many generations but they still had to leave.

Where does that leave the Anglo-Indians? Or white South Africans? Or anyone in South America that's clearly of almost entirely European descent? (I'm thinking of rich, upper class people who can trace their lineage back to Europe.)

> it's obviously not the same for people who move to a country legally and with the acquiescence of the native population,

What about those that move to a country illegally and without the acquiescence of the native population? Are you with the Republican party in the US who would like to punish the children of illegal immigrants by refusing them schooling and so on?

> I have a degree in chemical engineering but I don't see what that has to do with anything.

It's important, for two reasons. The first is that you've never learnt to argue at a high level, and I'm afraid it shows. (For disclosure, half my degree is in philosophy, which is only arguing.) The second is that I'm sure there have been studies showing engineers (along with medics) tend to predominate in terrorist groups. Perhaps engineers in particular tend towards seeing society as a big machine that could be fixed with the right tools - the tools they happen to have! One could certainly make the case for engineers having a rather black and white view of the world, tho since many climbers are also engineers, I'll temper my suggestion by saying it would be a very flimsy case.
Post edited at 14:59
 Shani 29 Jul 2014

Another article offering insight: http://bit.ly/1zqwy6Y

SethChili 29 Jul 2014
In reply to spearing05:

> Why is there so much made of the Israeli blockade of Gaza when (as I understand it) Egypt maintains a similar level of control over the crossing at Rafah?

Israel has such an appalling human rights abuse record that it stands out as an easy target for criticism . However , both Israel and Egypt are supplied with vast amounts of military equipment by the US ($500m for Egypt per year ) . The current military leaders in Egypt need to distance themselves from Hamas and the plight of Gaza because if they don't , they will upset Israel and consequently the US . And the deliveries of F-16s and Apache attack helicopters would stop .
If the United States changes its policy and joins the rest of the world in attempting to respect basic human rights , even at the cost of votes , Israel would have to do the same .
Make no mistake , if it was politically fashionable in the US , Obama could halt the Israeli invasion with just one phone call . I wouldn't say that the US gives the green light to Israeli atrocities but they could not be undertaken without the military , financial and diplomatic support the US provides .
But there is immense grassroots support for Israel in the US , almost to the extent that Israel can do no wrong . The country is romantically seen as an outpost of democracy/freedom/liberty in the midst of the chaotic middle east .
 Bruce Hooker 29 Jul 2014
In reply to seankenny:

> I really don't see why you choose to ignore the UN's accepted definition.

So you see the UN as some kind of supernatural entity which is always right and totally honest, fair and uninfluenced by the power struggles of the world? What did you say when you were firmly in "superior" mode,

> The first is that you've never learnt to argue at a high level, and I'm afraid it shows.

If you are an example of one who has "learnt to argue" then thank god you are in a minority on the planet.
 Bruce Hooker 29 Jul 2014
In reply to Shani:

> Another article offering insight: http://bit.ly/1zqwy6Y

If you can forgive me judging you in such a pretentious way

It's a pity you seldom here people speaking calmly and logically like this on the TV, I wonder why?
 TobyA 29 Jul 2014
In reply to SethChili:

> The current military leaders in Egypt need to distance themselves from Hamas and the plight of Gaza because if they don't , they will upset Israel and consequently the US .

The current Egyptian regime's position on Hamas has very little to do with the US. Hamas was formed out of the out of the Muslim Brotherhood who are obviously seen as the mortal enemy by al-Sisi and co having overthrown them in Egypt. https://www.middleeastmonitor.com/articles/africa/13040-a-zionist-egypt-has...
SethChili 29 Jul 2014
In reply to TobyA:

You are clearly more qualified to speak on this , but wouldn't it be easy to say that a possible reason the military overthrew the MB was because it was damaging US- Egypt relations . The USA does not generally arm , support and finance such governments . The Brotherhood were vocal supporters of the Hamas 'cause' , Hamas are recognized as a bad organisation therefore the US would not support a regime which supported a group which vow to destroy the main US ally in the middle east . Obviously this made a lot of Egyptians especially the military and more secular groups uneasy , leading the the removal of Mohammed Morsi .
Point me out if I am wrong .
 Bruce Hooker 30 Jul 2014
In reply to SethChili:

You are right about US support for the new Egyptian government, the dollars are rolling again. The Egyptian blockade of Gaza is also due to the decision to respect existing peace treaties between Egypt and Israel. The people in Gaza really don't have that many friends.
 seankenny 30 Jul 2014

> So you see the UN as some kind of supernatural entity which is always right and totally honest, fair and uninfluenced by the power struggles of the world?

Clearly the UN isn't perfect and can't do what we'd like it to do. But, imagine if it did act as you'd like it to act. How would they decide if a genocide were happening in Gaza? Erm, they'd use their own definition which is the one I've been working from - and which, incidentally, you posted yourself, until you realised you couldn't use it to defend your view, so you started attacking it instead.

> If you are an example of one who has "learnt to argue" then thank god you are in a minority on the planet.

Bruce, you don't present your evidence well, you don't respond thoughtfully to others' posts, mostly you just rant at people you disagree with. I'm sure you're a very mild mannered chap in real life, mind.
 Bruce Hooker 30 Jul 2014
In reply to seankenny:

> How would they decide if a genocide were happening in Gaza?

You really are obsessed with the "official" definition of the word, aren't you? When will you realise that it's not the word that counts it's the facts, the reality of what the Palestinian people have suffered over the last century. "A rose by any other name" etc.

> you don't respond thoughtfully to others' posts,

Responding thoughtfully is not repeating the same red-herring indefinitely. This thread is about Gaza, in particular the destruction of a TV channel's offices. I cannot understand why you think 20 odd posts about the definition of a word corresponds to this subject or the more general theme of the present attacks on the essentially Palestinian civilians and infrastructure, now they are deliberately destroying UN schools with the children inside - what are you going to do, you who think you "know how to argue", whitter on about whether it was "deliberate", or the exact sense of the word for post after post? The kids are dead, the school was hit by 5 Israeli tank shells, what more is there to say?

Just the same for genocide, you don't think there is a genocide going on in Palestine (a remnant of whom occupy a fraction of their land in the most atrocious conditions imaginable), half the planet does, whatever word you use 1250 of them have died in three weeks, many thousands are injured and their cities are being destroyed - those are the facts, that's what counts.
 seankenny 30 Jul 2014

> You really are obsessed with the "official" definition of the word, aren't you? When will you realise that it's not the word that counts it's the facts, the reality of what the Palestinian people have suffered over the last century. "A rose by any other name" etc.

I think you'll find I've repeatedly referred to the facts, not just in the case of Palestine but also looking at other conflicts in order to broaden things out a bit.

Accusing a govt or group of people of comitting a genocide is a serious thing (well, obviously it isn't for you or I, being just punters on the internet, but at another level it is) so we might as well have a good idea as to what constitutes a genocide. And conversely, what doesn't. You eschew a definition and go with "it's a genocide when I feel it's a genocide".

> Responding thoughtfully is not repeating the same red-herring indefinitely. This thread is about Gaza, in particular the destruction of a TV channel's offices. I cannot understand why you think 20 odd posts about the definition of a word corresponds to this subject or the more general theme of the present attacks on the essentially Palestinian civilians and infrastructure, now they are deliberately destroying UN schools with the children inside - what are you going to do, you who think you "know how to argue", whitter on about whether it was "deliberate", or the exact sense of the word for post after post? The kids are dead, the school was hit by 5 Israeli tank shells, what more is there to say?

Thing is, Bruce, I have said many, many times that I think these kind of attacks are appalling. Disgusting. Horrible. But that doesn't interest you - it has to be a genocide, or else one is siding with the Israelis.

> Just the same for genocide, you don't think there is a genocide going on in Palestine (a remnant of whom occupy a fraction of their land in the most atrocious conditions imaginable), half the planet does, whatever word you use 1250 of them have died in three weeks, many thousands are injured and their cities are being destroyed - those are the facts, that's what counts.

I don't claim to speak for half the planet, but quite frankly it doesn't bother me how many people share my opinion or not. I'll also miss out your "remnant" comment, because as we've discussed before that's not a true fact, but on the other facts you have presented, I don't disagree with them, and I agree that it is a viscious, one-sided conflict. But those facts do not make it a genocide. Unless you are willing to say that Putin, Assad, Rajapakse and plenty of others right up to and including Churchill and FDR were genocidal too. Are you willing to say that?
 MG 30 Jul 2014
In reply to seankenny:
> Bruce, you don't present your evidence well, you don't respond thoughtfully to others' posts,

Why are philosophers all so spectacularly arrogant? Bruce tends to argue perverse, contradictory, bizarre points of view but he presents them as well as most on here, and no less well than you.

If philosophy produces such good debaters, why are philosophers still arguing the same points as 2500 years ago? You would think they might have made some progress. Like, for example, chemical engineers have in their discipline.
Post edited at 15:13
 seankenny 30 Jul 2014
In reply to MG:

> Why are philosophers all so spectacularly arrogant? Bruce tends to argue perverse, contradictory, bizarre points of view but he presents them as well as most on here, and no less well than you.

Oh come on. He can string a sentence together, but an argument? With, you know, evidence that backs a proposition? Or taking my positions and showing why I'm wrong? Rather than accusing anyone he doesn't like as being some kind of stooge paid for by the Israeli govt.

I've never resorted to telling anyone they can't debate on here because no one has pulled the variety of perverse, contradictory and bizarre moves as Bruce. Sometimes I think he knows he's talking rubbish, he just goes leftfield to trick everyone. He's either a whole lot smarter than everyone else, or quite a bit dumber.

> If philosophy produces such good debaters, why are philosophers still arguing the same points as 2500 years ago? You would think they might have made some progress. Like, for example, chemical engineers have in their discipline.

This is a very good question - start a new thread and see what answers you get...
 Bruce Hooker 30 Jul 2014
In reply to seankenny:

> Sometimes I think he knows he's talking rubbish,

I don't think I'm talking rubbish about what's going on in Palestine, alas you are sometimes like when you dismiss my "remnant" remark, there are about 11 million Palestinians, descendants of those who lived in Palestine before the Jewish takeover in 1948, only a remnant still live in Palestine, and in atrocious conditions, and the part they have even a token control over is an even tinier remnant of land.

Even philosophers should check their facts! Even more, pseudo philosophers would do better to spend time on important matters than trying to prove that engineers are naturally more stupid than philosophers... as if three years dozing in lectures while planning the weekends climbing really changes the basic nature of a person anyway.

seankenny 31 Jul 2014

> only a remnant still live in Palestine

About half of the Palestinians live in Palestine, according to wikipedia. Whilst depressing, it's hardly a remnant, is it? And if Israel is pursuing a genocide, I'm still struggling to see how an act of mass murder has been committed.

I know you're going to acuse me of pedantry and nit-picking, but facts matter, Bruce, and so do words. I mean, I know they don't to you, much, simply because you're not here to put a case, to build a coherent narrative of what's going on in the world, but rather to emote, to turn your feelings - your anger - about what's going on in the world into something outside of yourself. I'm totally fine with that, as long as you don't confuse what you're doing.

Maybe a better idea to write a poem, or a novel, or paint a picture?

> pseudo philosophers would do better to spend time on important matters than trying to prove that engineers are naturally more stupid than philosophers...

That's not actually what I said, or what I think.

Rob Exile Ward 31 Jul 2014
In reply to seankenny:

Interestingly interviews on BBCs Today programme this morning were pretty aggressive towards the Israelis and their attempted justification of the events in Gaza.

I don't suppose Bruce will have heard them - maybe they're on iPlayer? - but even if he listened to them I doubt they would change his conviction that we are all duped by our 'pro-Israeli media.'
 seankenny 31 Jul 2014
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

>we are all duped by our 'pro-Israeli media.'

I for one am clearly duped.
 krikoman 31 Jul 2014

> Interestingly interviews on BBCs Today programme this morning were pretty aggressive towards the Israelis and their attempted justification of the events in Gaza.

Her tone might have been aggressive, but the questions weren't and she didn't press for an answer enough to the question "Do you think the response is disproportionate?"

And the two Jewish people they had on were both blaming Palestine for the trouble, there was no counterpoint to their views. So once again a pretty one-sided discussion. There was no mention that the whole reason there is trouble in the region is the seven year siege of Gaza and the conditions the people have to endure on a daily basis. Or the deafening silence of our government that refuses to condemn the killing.
 woolsack 31 Jul 2014

Maybe after watching the brutality and violence for days on end many people start to feel brave enough to put their heads above the parapet and tell it like it is? I notice the usual tired apologists have gone pretty quiet on here

Here's a nice petition from someone who did tell it like it is, David Ward

Urging our government to grow some balls

http://davidward.org.uk/en/petition/we-demand-the-british-government-stands...
In reply to krikoman:

Without wishing to condone in any way what the Israelis are doing I would like someone to ask the Israelis the unambiguous question: 'If Hamas stop firing rockets, will you withdraw from Gaza, yes or no?' And if the answer is 'Yes' then I would like to ask Hamas why don't they stop firing rockets and (possibly) call Israel's bluff (if that is what it is).
 krikoman 31 Jul 2014

Hamas have said they will stop firing rockets when the siege of Gaza has been lifted. They have been held in what amounts to an open prison for the last seven years! When some boats tried to break the embargo, the Israelis attacked the boats and killed at least 9 people. This was in international waters and would have been considered piracy if any other country had carried out the attack.

the whole of Gaza is controlled by Israel, water, electricity, medical supplies, there is a system of apartheid which Israel inflicts of the Gazans which again we do nothing about but support them.
 krikoman 31 Jul 2014

> I don't suppose Bruce will have heard them - maybe they're on iPlayer? - but even if he listened to them I doubt they would change his conviction that we are all duped by our 'pro-Israeli media.'

You should listen again and see if you think this is a discussion or two Israelis making excuses for killing innocent people.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04brpdh

Start at 2:14:20 and tell me I'm wrong.
 woolsack 31 Jul 2014

Time and time again, when there is no rocket firing Israel manages to make some kind of provocation to encourage a salvo of rocket fire.

Remember the shelling of the family on the beach?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaza_beach_explosion_%282006%29

that was followed by

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Summer_Rains

Familiar pattern?

Three Israeli teenagers murdered. Hamas blamed. Palestinian boy burned to death. Rockets fired, air strikes launched. More deaths
 MG 31 Jul 2014
In reply to krikoman:

That may all be true but given the known brutality of Isrealis, is firing almost completely ineffective rockets into Isreal and building equally ineffective tunnels really a sensible thing to do? The result is well over a thousand deaths and a quarter of the population displaced for no benefit whatever as far as I can see. Other options (do nothing, negotiate probably futilely etc.) maybe humiliating and ineffective in improving the situation but at least they wouldn't make it worse for Palestinians. Moreover, Hamas are, according to the UN, hiding rockets in schools and so on which implies they have no more regard for the safety of civilians than the Isrealis.
 Mike Stretford 31 Jul 2014
> Without wishing to condone in any way what the Israelis are doing I would like someone to ask the Israelis the unambiguous question: 'If Hamas stop firing rockets, will you withdraw from Gaza, yes or no?' And if the answer is 'Yes' then I would like to ask Hamas why don't they stop firing rockets and (possibly) call Israel's bluff (if that is what it is).

Jon Snow asked the Hamas spokesman why they continued with the 'pointless' rocket attacks, which have been Israel's excuse. He was basically making the point that it would easier for those of us who strongly oppose Israel's actions if the rockets stopped, but the Hamas guy wouldn't accept this. Could be a case of Jon's secular pragmatism versus religious principle.

Of course non of this excuses Israel's actions, and besides they are claiming a 90% success rate for the Iron Dome system.

Post edited at 11:22
In reply to krikoman:

Yes, of course the Israelis defending what to all of us is pretty much indefensible.

I also heard them saying that if Hamas stopped attacking Israel, whether by rockets or boots on the ground via tunnels, then they would cooperate to develop a co-prosperity sphere. One can imagine that access to an additional market and a potential labour force would be highly desirable to both parties, leading to long term stability and prosperity, (only disturbed by loonies like Bruce yelling 'Jews go home', whatever that might mean.)

I don't suppose the Germans ever said that about, say, the Warsaw ghetto.
 Mike Highbury 31 Jul 2014

> Yes, of course the Israelis defending what to all of us is pretty much indefensible.

> I also heard them saying that if Hamas stopped attacking Israel, whether by rockets or boots on the ground via tunnels, then they would cooperate to develop a co-prosperity sphere. One can imagine that access to an additional market and a potential labour force would be highly desirable to both parties, leading to long term stability and prosperity, (only disturbed by loonies like Bruce yelling 'Jews go home', whatever that might mean.)

Yeh, well, that all went with the Intifada, didn't it?

woolsack 31 Jul 2014

> Yeh, well, that all went with the Intifada, didn't it?

And prior to the intifada you'd been treating the Palestinians oh so fairly I suppose? You just couldn't work out why they might have been disgruntled?
 Mike Highbury 31 Jul 2014
In reply to woolsack:

> And prior to the intifada you'd been treating the Palestinians oh so fairly I suppose? You just couldn't work out why they might have been disgruntled?

Capitalism must be intifadagenic.
 Bruce Hooker 31 Jul 2014

> I don't suppose Bruce will have heard them - maybe they're on iPlayer? - but even if he listened to them I doubt they would change his conviction that we are all duped by our 'pro-Israeli media.'

With all due respect on another thread you asked me what lies were told about what's going on which sounded very much as if you were fairly duped.

I saw some fairly hard interviewing on Channel 4 but the Israelis just don't reply, like Mr Blair.

PS. For all those who still want to support or condone or find all sorts or reasons why we shouldn't be going on about a massacre that is just one of many (ie. condoning Israelis for being no worse than other butchers) the death toll is over 1400 now and the bast*rds have fired so many shells that they are running out of munitions and had to run off to Uncle Sam to ask for more, which were provided without a quibble from supplies kept by the USA in Palestine just in case Israel should need them to slaughter more civilians than planned.
 Bruce Hooker 31 Jul 2014

> only disturbed by loonies like Bruce yelling 'Jews go home', whatever that might mean.

I said they should leave Palestine like in any other colonial situations. They might as well do it now, there has been enough bloodshed and waiting till it turns into a massacre of both sides like in Vietnam or Algeria makes no sense. They have no right to be there apart from a small minority who descend from native Jews and their attitude is so violent, racist and at present fascist that they have proved that no cohabitation with local people is possible.

Some, dror is an example, already have connections elsewhere so they have a "home" to go to others from places like Poland where anti-semitism is still a problem will need a host country and as suggested higher up the thread the USA is the obvious solution, for others with the pioneering instinct there are areas of the world with a very low population density which form parts of existing countries who would accept refugees.

It would be the best solution for everyone, especially the Jews themselves who are rapidly losing the respect they had from the genocide they suffered under the nazis. One thing is sure, it can't carry on like this.
 Rob Exile Ward 01 Aug 2014

'for others with the pioneering instinct there are areas of the world with a very low population density which form parts of existing countries who would accept refugees.'

Madagasgar, perhaps?

All of a sudden it's you that is sounding sooooo 19th C. 'Go west young man!', or something. It doesn't happen in the 21st century; people are too rooted.
 MG 01 Aug 2014

> 'for others with the pioneering instinct there are areas of the world with a very low population density which form parts of existing countries who would accept refugees.'

A land without a people for a people without a land. I can't see any potential problems with that.
 Bruce Hooker 01 Aug 2014

No I was thinking of Siberia or Canada, with global warming vast areas of tundra will be becoming habitable in the years to come, of course it would have to be negotiated with the countries involved.

In reality I suspect the "pioneering instinct" is bullshit and most would plump for the security of a country like the USA, or Scotland, depending on if they like it warm or cool and wet. On the run up to the referendum the SNP has been insisting that Scotland need more people, Israelis have a good educational level and would be boon to any country as long as their tendency to kill people to can be restrained... Why don't the SNP put their money where their mouths are and launch an invitation?
 woolsack 01 Aug 2014

> 'for others with the pioneering instinct there are areas of the world with a very low population density which form parts of existing countries who would accept refugees.'

> Madagasgar, perhaps?

> All of a sudden it's you that is sounding sooooo 19th C. 'Go west young man!', or something. It doesn't happen in the 21st century; people are too rooted.

Detroit is free at the moment
 Rob Exile Ward 01 Aug 2014

The sooner you become world president Bruce, - carving up Siberia here, giving away a bit of Canada there , organising Scotland, maybe relocating Tunbridge Wells to Zaire - the happier we all will be.
 Postmanpat 01 Aug 2014

> The sooner you become world president Bruce, - carving up Siberia here, giving away a bit of Canada there , organising Scotland, maybe relocating Tunbridge Wells to Zaire - the happier we all will be.

He's hankering for the good old days of Chairman Mao and the Soviet Union when whole populations could be moved at whim.
 seankenny 01 Aug 2014
In reply to Postmanpat:

It's empires in general, isn't it? Those were the best at it, but we did a pretty good job too.
 Postmanpat 01 Aug 2014
In reply to seankenny:

> It's empires in general, isn't it? Those were the best at it, but we did a pretty good job too.

Ah yes, but you've missed the key point: that ours was "bad" and theirs were "good". Recognising this is the basis of all wisdom.
 seankenny 01 Aug 2014
In reply to Postmanpat:

> Ah yes, but you've missed the key point: that ours was "bad" and theirs were "good". Recognising this is the basis of all wisdom.

That's a very gentle re-education. I'd prefer something a little more group orientated.
 Bruce Hooker 01 Aug 2014
In reply to Postmanpat:

> He's hankering for the good old days of Chairman Mao and the Soviet Union when whole populations could be moved at whim.

No I'm hankering for the good old days of decolonization, when even Conservative politicians spoke of the "wind of change" and colonials left and the locals were left to themselves all over the world. If it was doable than why is it impossible now?

Was Harold Macmillan a fan of Mao and the USSR?

I thought you were old enough to have heard of all this but just in case:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wind_of_Change_(speech)
 seankenny 01 Aug 2014

Bruce, your idea of colonisation is a bit simplistic. There were - broadly speaking - two different trends of colonisation. The extractive sort, as in West Africa and India, where the colonisers went, stayed for a few years and got rich. Or died trying - the climates in these places were so different to what Europeans were used to that many of them died, lacking immunity to malaria and other diseases. Then there were the settler colonies, as in South and parts of East Africa, Austrialia, South America, the US. Here the climates were hotter than Europe, but still temperate enough to allow Europeans to settle there for the long term and really put roots down in the place, so you can get white South Africans and Brazilians who are clearly not of South America origin at all.

Clearly this is a simplification - of course there were colonisers like Kipling who were born in India - but broadly speaking it shows why the British could leave India but the Boers aren't leaving South Africa.
 Bruce Hooker 01 Aug 2014
In reply to seankenny:

So now you're justifying colonization? It wasn't really like that at all, many colonies like Algeria, East Africa, Indochina, Angola, Mozambique etc etc were settled and only obtained independence after long and bloody struggles - the colonisers really didn't want to leave. Your generalisation misses the target altogether.

The more pertinent ones are based, more or less, on chronology, there was the first wave of colonization, of the Americas, Australia etc which has not been reversed and the second wave around the 19th century which mostly has... except Israel. There are also a few bits of rock here and there which get Brits very excited about nowadays but the main colonies have gone, whether British, French, Portuguese, Dutch whatever.

The problem with Israel is that is was set up by people who who thought like other white colonists and have stayed on that wavelength - in fact within zionism there were different currents of thought but it is the more right wing ones that came to dominate and still do.

That Israel is not the colony of a particular country but of a group of people means it has escaped the anti-colonial movements in the metropoles which brought down classic colonialism - the French "colons" really didn't want to give up Algeria it was the mainland French who did as France had other political and economical problems which outweighed the advantage of maintaining the colony, there is no such pressure concerning Israel. In this case the majority of Jews living in the rest of the world support Israel - there have been demonstrations in France (I don't know about Britain) this week in support of Israel (apparently they don't see the danger this creates for Jews living in France) so the strengthen they resolve of Israelis to keep on killing innocent Palestinians rather than the opposite.

It is a special case but it is still a case of colonial domination whichever way you look at it, assuming you look at the historical facts and don't just go on propaganda.
 seankenny 01 Aug 2014

> So now you're justifying colonization?

I'm not at all sure how my post could be seen to justify colonisation, but then Chairman Hooker likes black and white, for and against, so any narrative which might have faults is an argument for the other side.

I don't know if you've ever read the economist John Kay on the efficient market hypotheis. "Not necessarily true, but illuminating" is his take, and I knew you'd pick up the case of Algeria in my post, whilst missing the point. The Israelis, who live in Israel, were born there, don't know anything else, they are from there now. They're not colonisers

> The problem with Israel is that is was set up by people who who thought like other white colonists

So the Zionists hoped to use Israel as a get-rich-quick scheme to supply the markets "back home" with cheap raw materials and consumer goods?

> it has escaped the anti-colonial movements in the metropoles which brought down classic colonialism

Because British rule in India or Kenya ended after street protests in London and Manchester?

> there have been demonstrations in France (I don't know about Britain) this week in support of Israel (apparently they don't see the danger this creates for Jews living in France)

You mean whilst everyone else can protest, French Jews have to be careful otherwise they'll get what's coming to them? They don't - or shouldn't - have the same freedoms as everyone else?

> It is a special case but it is still a case of colonial domination whichever way you look at it, assuming you look at the historical facts and don't just go on propaganda.

So there's no room for debate? One wonders why you bother.

Postmanpat 01 Aug 2014

> No I'm hankering for the good old days of decolonization, when even Conservative politicians spoke of the "wind of change" and colonials left and the locals were left to themselves all over the world. If it was doable than why is it impossible now?
>
Because it wasn't done then. The white "colonists" in the Africa (outside of South Africa) were a tiny minority: 60,000 in Kenya, 20,000 in Zambia, many of whom were temporary administrators. Even in India there were probably only about 75,000 Europeans domiciled there as opposed to temporarily there.

The whole comparison is nonsense.
KevinD 01 Aug 2014
In reply to Postmanpat:

> The whole comparison is nonsense.

I think he wants to get back to the good old days where they turned up in large numbers, massacred all the locals and then told their original country to sod off. Preferably if it can be topped off with trying to claim some random other terrority it will all be sorted.
 seankenny 01 Aug 2014
In reply to Postmanpat:

> Because it wasn't done then. The white "colonists" in the Africa (outside of South Africa) were a tiny minority: 60,000 in Kenya, 20,000 in Zambia, many of whom were temporary administrators. Even in India there were probably only about 75,000 Europeans domiciled there as opposed to temporarily there.

Indeed. The broader point, which Bruce has also missed, is that in some parts of the world where the colonisers were settlers, they built enduring political and economic institutions. Obviously these varied (the Conferderacy and SA are hardly poster boys for liberal democracy), but they weren't totally extractive enterprises run by people who arrived at 18 and were shipped back home at 50, gin-sodden but considerably wealthier.

Israel/Palestine, like it or not, has been settled, not colonised.
 Bruce Hooker 01 Aug 2014
In reply to seankenny:

> The Israelis, who live in Israel, were born there,

So were the Algerians, for more generations than the Israelis

> don't (didn't) know anything else,

Neither did the "pieds noirs"

> they are from there now.

They have gone from there now.

What point are you attempting to make from this comparison?
 Bruce Hooker 01 Aug 2014
In reply to Postmanpat:

Not for other colonies which were settlement colonies, Algeria being the classic example, generations of white French colonials lived there, over a million IIRC, for several generations. In 1948 in Palestine the situation was comparable and ever since Israeli policy has been to increase the Jewish part of the population to create a situation which is "irreversible", to enable people like you to say what you say.

The problem is many in the world, especially ion ex-colonial countries don't go along with this versions.
 Bruce Hooker 01 Aug 2014
In reply to dissonance:

> I think he wants to get back to the good old days where they turned up in large numbers, massacred all the locals

Isn't this what the Israelis have done in Palestine, Lebanon, most of their neighboring countries and in particular in the West Bank and Gaza?
 Bruce Hooker 01 Aug 2014
In reply to seankenny:

> Israel/Palestine, like it or not, has been settled, not colonised.

The words are synonyms - the translation for "colon" into English is often given a "settler". You're into your playing with words thing again.
 Postmanpat 01 Aug 2014

> Not for other colonies which were settlement colonies, Algeria being the classic example, generations of white French colonials lived there, over a million IIRC, for several generations. In 1948 in Palestine the situation was comparable and ever since Israeli policy has been to increase the Jewish part of the population to create a situation which is "irreversible", to enable people like you to say what you say.
>
No it wasn't; the French had a homeland to return to. The clue is in the word "French"

Incidentally, I must confess I'd never realised McMillan's winds of change speech was about French colonials. Not old enough maybe…..
 TobyA 01 Aug 2014

When did the UN recognize the state of Algeria as an independent country run by Algerians who happened to be of French dissent?
 Bruce Hooker 01 Aug 2014
In reply to Postmanpat:

> Incidentally, I must confess I'd never realised McMillan's winds of change speech was about French colonials.

It wasn't specifically but he was speaking of British colonies - the French only let theirs go when colonial wars forced them. Britain had some colonial wars like in Kenya, I had a friend who's mother died, killed by the revolver she kept under pillow going off, rather disproving the notion that there were few settlers in British colonies, but they were nowhere near as bad as the French ones - the Portuguese had a good go at hanging on, quite a lot of locals were killed in their vain attempts to hang on to Mozambique and Angola. Remember?

You say Israelis have no home country to return to but you appear to be unaware of the problem the French colons had coming back to France, generations of living in the colonial racist atmosphere meant they had difficulties fitting in and were not much liked. You also choose to ignore the fact that many Israelis do have double nationality - the French Jews who were murdered last year were murdered in a school in France but had dual French/Israeli nationality.

There is a large percentage of Israelis in this situation, one of the answers to the oft repeated question as to why the situation in Palestine concerns us more than equivalent horrors elsewhere. If you look into the subject a little I'm sure you will find that the vast majority of colonials were not happy about losing their advantageous life-style in the colonies, I even remember a certain Ian Smith who was in the news a lot when I was a youngster. Are you old enough to remember him too?
 Postmanpat 01 Aug 2014
> It wasn't specifically but he was speaking of British colonies -

As was I, thanks for clarifying that.

> You say Israelis have no home country to return to but you appear to be unaware of the problem the French colons had coming back to France, generations of living in the colonial racist atmosphere meant they had difficulties fitting in and were not much liked.

No, I'm not unaware of it. Maybe you think being French who lived abroad for a generation or two is the same as being Jewish who have been treated as aliens to to be persecuted for a millennia or two. It would explain a lot.

> There is a large percentage of Israelis in this situation, one of the answers to the oft repeated question as to why the situation in Palestine concerns us more than equivalent horrors elsewhere. If you look into the subject a little I'm sure you will find that the vast majority of colonials were not happy about losing their advantageous life-style in the colonies, I even remember a certain Ian Smith who was in the news a lot when I was a youngster. Are you old enough to remember him too?

See above. Not sure how your second sentence relates to anything I said. I'm not sure why you think age is such a good thing. Of course to some people it brings wisdom but not to others......
Post edited at 20:21
 Bruce Hooker 01 Aug 2014
In reply to TobyA:

> of French dissent?

An interesting slip of the clavier, they did in fact "dissent" quite a lot, going as far as attempting to assassinate the President of France - De Gaulle at the time, and staging a military "coup d'état", which failed fortunately but shows how hard they clung to their way of life, even after a war that had cost a million deaths, of native Algerians, of course, the parallel with Palestine today is striking.

> When did the UN recognize the state of Algeria as an independent country

You really are Israeli, aren't you? They always cling to this but you know very well that recognition of a state only recognises who effectively controls the place and is not a moral judgement on the rights or wrongs of any parties who may have claims to it.
Jim C 01 Aug 2014
In reply to Timmd:

> I find this troubling.
> The killing is too of course.

Do you think this will help any ?
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/palestine-flag-flies-over-s...
 Bruce Hooker 01 Aug 2014
In reply to Postmanpat:

> Maybe you think being French who lived abroad for a generation or two is the same as being Jewish who have been treated as aliens to to be persecuted for a millennia or two.

Millions of Jews have lived and live perfectly happily in countries all over the world, or recent years it's the the atrocities committed by Israel which hasn't exactly helped on this level. Did you know that at the time of the meetings to discuss Palestine after WW1 many well know people of Jewish origins tried to petition the parties concerned to contradict the efforts of zionist, precisely because they felt that where they lived was home for them and because the feared that the establishment of a Jewish Homeland could put this in peril? It answers very well questions which have been posed in these threads even though it was written in 1919;

http://www.al-bushra.org/jerusalem1/statement.htm

TobyA 01 Aug 2014

Tell that to the Kosovars.
 Postmanpat 01 Aug 2014
> Millions of Jews have lived and live perfectly happily in countries all over the world, or recent years it's the the atrocities committed by Israel which hasn't exactly helped on this level. Did you know that at the time of the meetings to discuss Palestine after WW1 many well know people of Jewish origins tried to petition the parties concerned to contradict the efforts of zionist, precisely because they felt that where they lived was home for them and because the feared that the establishment of a Jewish Homeland could put this in peril? It answers very well questions which have been posed in these threads even though it was written in 1919;
>
Wow Bruce, you know so much! Must be all that reading you do!
Yes, one of the stereotypical characteristics of the Jews is their enthusiasm for arguing amongst themselves. Many Ultra Orthodox Jews are also opposed to the creation of the State of Israel.
Your extensive reading may also have informed you that many millions of Jews didn't live at all, let alone happily, in many countries all over the world. But hey, no doubt if only Pootin can rebuild your Soviet Union he'll welcome them back.
Post edited at 21:33
Removed User 01 Aug 2014
In reply to Postmanpat:

A slight aside, but what is it with several of you Bruce-baiters on here with spelling 'Pootin' and 'Jooz'? Are you all trying to sound like you're in The Sopranos?
 Postmanpat 01 Aug 2014

> A slight aside, but what is it with several of you Bruce-baiters on here with spelling 'Pootin' and 'Jooz'? Are you all trying to sound like you're in The Sopranos?

Baiters? How very dare you? No, idea, I meant Poutine of course.
 Bruce Hooker 03 Aug 2014
"jooz" is a dekism, I think it's supposed to be how us anti-semites refer to Jews. "Pootin" looks like a spelling mistake*, as for the baiting it's to avoid answering questions or giving an opinion, by avoiding giving opinions they avoid people finding fault with them. They seem to live in fear of this... odd really.

*it could also be "finger slide" cause by excessive froth getting on the key board.
Post edited at 12:58
 woolsack 03 Aug 2014

Hard to believe that Hamas are in ALL of those buildings isn't it?
 krikoman 04 Aug 2014
In reply to woolsack:

Maybe all goats are Hamas, that might justify another air strike or two.
 krikoman 04 Aug 2014
In reply to Jim C:

> Do you think this will help any ?

Yes, why shouldn't it, the more people know about what's going on and why it's happening the better. You don't have to be anti-Semitic or pro Muslim to know what's happening is unjust. Try being a humanist and wanting a fair deal for everyone.
 Shani 06 Aug 2014
The dark arts:

http://bit.ly/1oCUnVu
 krikoman 06 Aug 2014
In reply to Shani:

I've see this, and it scary.

But be careful because you'll be call anti-Semitic for pointing out such things.
 Shani 06 Aug 2014
In reply to krikoman:

I understand the concern, and the answer is simple. We can all accommodate Islam, Judaism, Christianity, Buddhism, Sikhism or whatever - as long as the associated ideology is not imposed on the rest of us by political, cultural or social means.

The moment any subset of a religion mobilises on a political level, criticism of ANY ideological position framed within political lobbying is perfectly valid to be challenged and it would (in this case), be for the Jewish Lobby to make a charge of Anti-Semitism stick rather than the challenge being viewed as politically motivated. They are the ones blurring the line between faith and politics.

They would only have themselves to blame for blurring the lines between their religion and politics and this goes for Christians, Islam and any other religions thusly inclined.
 krikoman 07 Aug 2014
In reply to Shani:

> They are the ones blurring the line between faith and politics.

As far as I'm concerned they are the ones blurring the line between True anti-Semitism and people speak out about a crime.

It's the boy who cried wolf situation as far as I can see.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...