UKC

Zermatt conditions 23/07/14 ??

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BrettB 23 Jul 2014
The plan at the moment is to head out on Friday. Can anyone advise what conditions are like at the moment in particular Matterhorn?

Cheers chaps
 maybe_si 23 Jul 2014
In reply to BrettB:

http://www.zermatt.ch/en/Webcams/Berge-1/Matterhorn-4-478-m

http://www.mountain-forecast.com/peaks/Matterhorn/forecasts/4478

I have been checking these sites, they look the best to me?

Looks like a butt load of snow!
OP BrettB 23 Jul 2014
In reply to BrettB:

thanks.
well.......
 maybe_si 23 Jul 2014
In reply to BrettB:

I'm flying out tomorrow evening.... also planning on the Matterhorn....

Could be interesting?!
OP BrettB 23 Jul 2014
In reply to BrettB:

......... what's the worst that could happen...........
 Kean 23 Jul 2014
In reply to BrettB:

Am planning on heading near there Sunday to Tuesday to do Dent Blanche...Any updates greatly appreciated.
Ta
What I can confirm is hut warden said yesterday that there's currently too much snow on the Dent Blanche, but if the weather stays warm and dry between now & weekend it MIGHT be in condition...so looking doubtful, also looking a tad chilly at that altitude...
graham F 23 Jul 2014
In reply to kean:

going to the Dent Blanche tomorrow so will let you know how it goes...
 Kean 24 Jul 2014
In reply to graham F:

Nice one! Please do...
graham F 25 Jul 2014
In reply to kean:

Not good news...turned back at 3900m (before the Gendarme) in calf deep wind-blown snow sitting on a slushy base. The whole ridge is heavily snowed up and corniced. Looks to me like it needs a week of sun to sort it.
graham F 25 Jul 2014
In reply to graham F:

Pictures on website now.
 Simon4 25 Jul 2014
In reply to graham F:
If it makes you feel any better, I turned back from about 3900m on the Grand Paradiso, zero visibility, heavy falling snow, fresh snow layer over old ice, generally full-on seriousness. Had to front point down a LONG steep snow slope (very hard to tell in zero vis how steep it was), to get out of the situation, when I wasn't quite sure of where it lead to.
Post edited at 12:20
 jon 25 Jul 2014
In reply to Simon4:

> If it makes you feel any better...

If it makes you feel any better I've got to wait for the crag to go in the shade. Then T shirt or not... decisions, always decisions.
 James FR 25 Jul 2014
In reply to graham F:

Nice photos, thanks!
 Simon4 25 Jul 2014
In reply to jon:

A 4000m high crag?
 jon 25 Jul 2014
In reply to Simon4:

No, 35m... just right! Have you added some to the list this year?
 Kean 25 Jul 2014
In reply to graham F:

Thanks for the info...damn! Crazy weather.
 Simon4 25 Jul 2014
In reply to jon:

Well I did climb the Barre des Ecrins .... now is that an addition to the list - yes, for my partner.
 chris bedford 25 Jul 2014
In reply to graham F:

> going to the Dent Blanche tomorrow so will let you know how it goes...

Looked very white from our bimble up the Bishorn with the masses on the Friday... as did everything else around (Zinalrothorn, Grand Cornier, Weisshorn...).
 euanw 25 Jul 2014
In reply to BrettB:

There is a short video on the climbnow facebook page that shows the current conditions on the Lenspitze and Nadelhorn. This may be of use. The Nadelhorn had an established track on it. I climbed the Ulrischhorn and the arĂȘte was in perfect condition. This would suggest the ridge on the Nadelhorn may also be good.
 Kean 26 Jul 2014
In reply to euanw:

> There is a short video on the climbnow facebook page that shows the current conditions on the Lenspitze and Nadelhorn. This may be of use. The Nadelhorn had an established track on it. I climbed the Ulrischhorn and the arĂȘte was in perfect condition. This would suggest the ridge on the Nadelhorn may also be good.

Cheers also for that. Will go take a gander...
 maybe_si 28 Jul 2014
In reply to BrettB:

We managed to get up to the Solvay hut on Friday, it took around 8hrs! Spent the night there and then had an epic retreating on Saturday, took around 9hrs to get back to the Hornli Hut.

Utterly heinous conditions!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...