UKC

What no Commonwealth thread?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Albaman 23 Jul 2014
Surely I'm not the only one to feel it necessary to comment on the opening ceremony? It was fairly guid. Massively twee, but that's to be expected. Congratulations to Salmond for resisting the opportunity on a world stage!
Still a bit nonplussed as to whether turning it into children in need is in the spirit of the games though, in spite of its obvious benefits.
 The New NickB 23 Jul 2014
In reply to Albaman:

> Still a bit nonplussed as to whether turning it into children in need is in the spirit of the games though, in spite of its obvious benefits.

Legacy init! I thought it was a good thing and supported it.
 Paul249 24 Jul 2014
In reply to Albaman:

I thought the opening 5-10 minutes was a brutal cringe fest. But after that was quite good. Karen Dunbar and john barrowman..??!!!
Albaman 24 Jul 2014
In reply to Paul249:

Aye, agreed. Especially with Dunbar pulling all her worst gurney faces. And Barrowman pretending to be Scots.
> I thought the opening 5-10 minutes was a brutal cringe fest. But after that was quite good. Karen Dunbar and john barrowman..??!!!

The New NickB 24 Jul 2014
In reply to Albaman:

> And Barrowman pretending to be Scots.

My first thought was isn't he Canadian? which was totally wrong. Google tells me that he was born in Glasgow and lived in the city for the first eight years of his life, before his family emigrated to the US. He hold British and US citizenship.
Jim C 24 Jul 2014
In reply to Albaman:

> Not seen it, was oot on my bike . I did see a big screen going up as I passed for people to watch , but it was too nice a night to stop and even watch it outside. Lots of fireworks etc no doubt. I could have cycled into the City, but headed away from the crowds instead.

Seems a lot of money getting spent / wasted whilst we are supposedly skint .
(And I tend to disbelieve these estimates of the benefits outstripping the cost, is it just an ego trip for some in office. )

I'm probably just not one for big splashes of extravagant waste like the fireworks etc. anyway , I alway stand there and think of what else could be done with that amount of money that has just gone up in a flash.
Nice as they are , they are over very quickly. I would not have spent my own money on them, or the games, but have no choice when others bid for it , and then do it for me.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...