UKC

Northerners can't Climb:perpetrator's email

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 paul mitchell 24 Jul 2014
Hi Mitch Yes I am the guilty person and sincere apologies I didn't realise that it was indeed your route from the early 80s (or anyone else's). I think I probably did it very many years ago but only recall the name but not the route. I would not have retrobolted it if I had known. No excuses. Although I agree that I was in the wrong I do not think it the best course of action to remove the bolts other than to prove the point that I was wrong (which I admit). It seems quite likely that the bolts would be replaced in the next year or so as the remainder of the crag is likely to be bolted/retrobolted. This would only damage (if that is indeed the right word) the rock further. I presume you remember 'our' first ascent on Stanage of similar vintage? A pleasant day out as I recall (something to do with Magic Roundabout). Anyhow, on a lighter note, I hope you are keeping well and still climbing and enjoying it as much as ever (I certainly am - apart from the distress I seem to have caused with the above!). Once again apologies. All the best Tony
 The Pylon King 24 Jul 2014
In reply to paul mitchell:

Who put the bolts in should take them out.
 winhill 24 Jul 2014

Didn't he post exactly this as his contribution to the original thread?

What are you looking for with another thread?
 duchessofmalfi 24 Jul 2014
One thing that is very clear in this discussion is that the bolts are going.

The only thing that remains to be determined is will Tony have the decency to remove them himself or will it be someone else. I suspect the latter.

The minor issue of the FA / logbook entry is clear - it doesn't stand and should be removed.

andrewmc 24 Jul 2014
By all means go and pull the bolts out, but noisily whining about it on UKC will not achieve very much...

PS my complaint here is about unnecessarily starting a new thread.
Post edited at 11:07
OP paul mitchell 24 Jul 2014
In reply to winhill:

Mick Ryan said in an email that trad was safe.Evidently not,when a classic E5 is retrobolted.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 24 Jul 2014

> Mick Ryan said in an email that trad was safe. Evidently not,when a classic E5 is retrobolted.

"Classic" - careful with the hyperbole.

Chris
 Timmd 24 Jul 2014
In reply to Chris Craggs:

These things are subjective, surely?

Including what hyperbole is. ()

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...