UKC

Isis orders all women and girls in Mosul to undergo FGM

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 winhill 24 Jul 2014
The militant group Islamic State (Isis) has ordered all girls and women in and around Iraq's northern city of Mosul to undergo female genital mutilation, the United Nations says.

The "fatwa" issued by the Sunni Muslim fighters would potentially affect 4 million women and girls, the UN resident and humanitarian coordinator in Iraq Jacqueline Badcock told reporters in Geneva by videolink from Irbil.

"This is something very new for Iraq, particularly in this area, and is of grave concern and does need to be addressed," she said.

"This is not the will of Iraqi people, or the women of Iraq in these vulnerable areas covered by the terrorists," she added.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jul/24/isis-women-girls-fgm-mosul-un

They must be working off some bizarre To Do list.

Sir Chasm 24 Jul 2014
In reply to winhill:
It's not getting any better is it?

And surely you mean "The militant group Islamic State (Isis)
backed by Israel", according to woolsack anyway.

Enty 24 Jul 2014
In reply to winhill:
I wonder if we'll see mass demonstrations in London over this?

E
Post edited at 14:11
redsonja 24 Jul 2014
In reply to winhill:

poor people caught up in stuff like this
 The New NickB 24 Jul 2014
In reply to Enty:

> I wonder if we'll see mass demonstrations in London over this?

> E

Probably if people thought it would do the slightest thing to help. Why raise it?
 seankenny 24 Jul 2014
In reply to The New NickB:

> Probably if people thought it would do the slightest thing to help. Why raise it?

Meet you outside the Caliphate's embassy to hand in a petition.
andyathome 24 Jul 2014
In reply to winhill:

Are we sure that ISIS have actually said that?

I wouldn't have thought it was down to them to issue a fatwa.
andyathome 24 Jul 2014
In reply to winhill:

> Was the UN conned?

So are we saying that this thread is based on a load of knee jerk bollocks? If so the OP wants shooting!
OP winhill 24 Jul 2014
In reply to andyathome:

you read the story then?
andyathome 24 Jul 2014
In reply to winhill:

> you read the story then?

Which one - the unsubstantiated original claim by Ms Badcock that had no corroboration or the one from the BBC which sort of said 'whoops'?

There is all sorts of shit claimed by every side in these conflicts. Running to the barricades over what, on the face of it, is a load of pretty unlikely crap is just a bit 'knee-jerky' wouldn't you think?:
andyathome 24 Jul 2014
In reply to winhill:

P.S. The OP - whoever that was - really should wait a wee while before shooting their mouth off and accepting propaganda as fact.

And maybe others should also wait a wee while before jumping on a pretty flimsy bandwagon.
 woolsack 24 Jul 2014
In reply to andyathome:

Of course, once ISIS launch their own 24 hour news channel it will be so much easier to keep up to date

> P.S. The OP - whoever that was - really should wait a wee while before shooting their mouth off and accepting propaganda as fact.

> And maybe others should also wait a wee while before jumping on a pretty flimsy bandwagon.

OP winhill 25 Jul 2014
In reply to andyathome:

> P.S. The OP - whoever that was - really should wait a wee while before shooting their mouth off and accepting propaganda as fact.

> And maybe others should also wait a wee while before jumping on a pretty flimsy bandwagon.

I'd have thought ISIS were a bit far right even for a man of your exotic conservative proclivities.

I don't think you'll see the BBC or The Grauniad apologising for reporting a UN press conference any time soon.
andyathome 25 Jul 2014
In reply to winhill:

> I'd have thought ISIS were a bit far right even for a man of your exotic conservative proclivities.

Not sure how you've worked that one out, have we met? I was described on the phone today as a 'small-government' libertarian. Don't agree with that by the way.

> I don't think you'll see the BBC or The Grauniad apologising for reporting a UN press conference any time soon.

I'd have thought that your link above - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-28466434 - came pretty bloody close to the BBC saying 'whooops'?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...