UKC

Racing bike for a 10 year old

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Bingers 24 Jul 2014
Following on from a few years of watching Le Tour and other bike races in France, my youngest is after a racing bike. Rather than bringing his mountain bike over to France for the holidays, we thought we'd try and pick up a racing bike over here. I have just returned from 5 bike shops - Inter Sport, Decathlon, Leclerc Sport and two independents and have got the impression that here in the home of the world's top bike race, children don't do bike racing. It has been suggested that he waits a couple of years until his arms are longer. He has sufficient height (he is taller than most 10 year olds and definitely than French children his own age), but reaching the brakes in a hurry could be the issue.

Am I likely to come across the same problem in the UK? Do children not do racing bikes anymore?
 woolsack 24 Jul 2014
In reply to Bingers:

I'm in the same boat with my 11 yr old and not quite keen enough to drop £500 on a bike he'll probably outgrow quickly
KevinD 24 Jul 2014
In reply to Bingers:

The How range has some designed for younger kids eg 8+. However not sure whether they would suit.
Although road bikes have regained popularity amongst adults it doesnt seem to have been reflected in kids bikes.

This may give some options.

http://www.cyclesprog.co.uk/bikes/road-racing-bikes-for-kids/
Ste Brom 24 Jul 2014
In reply to Bingers:

Racing bikes were something to attain to when I was 10, I just made do with just 'bikes' for my 'endos' and 'ghosties'.
 kathrync 24 Jul 2014
In reply to Bingers:
http://www.youthcyclesport.co.uk/kit/reviews/grouptest-junior-roadcyclocross-bikes-part-1/

I saw a kid on the ferry to Arran with one of the Scatto bikes last week - left me well behind!

Edited to add - apparently Boardman have just released a junior road bike too http://www.youthcyclesport.co.uk/kit/reviews/review-boardman-sporte-road/
Post edited at 16:54
 Enty 24 Jul 2014
In reply to Bingers:

Pinarello do one and you can even get them from Halfords. But like Wooly says, do you want to shell out 500+ ?

E
 Exile 24 Jul 2014
In reply to Bingers:

Just done this for my eldests 10th birthday. We looked at Islabikes, (his mountain bike is an Islabike,) but ended up going second hand. Picked up a very good nick mens small specialized allez with a new wheel set for three hundred quid.

We belong to a cycle club which caters for kids really well. If there is one near you see if you can get a post on their message board to asking to see who may be selling, (don't wait for people to post - there are a lot of bikes out there not being used which the owner may need a little nudge to sell.) Not much use at the moment but there is a fair bit of selling going on on our club's board in the lead up to Xmas.

Otherwise look at the b'twins Decathlon sell, (I know you've said you've been in, but a lot of the kids ours ride with have them,) as I think they start at a bit over 300 for a well specked, (for the money,) bike.
Bingers 25 Jul 2014
In reply to dissonance:

Thanks for all the replies. The above website was really good and helpful.

Rog Wilko 25 Jul 2014
In reply to Bingers:

I'm sure second-hand is the way to go. After all, no-one is going to keep one for very long (unless they have an inexhaustible supply of kids). On the other hand I saw a nice selection in Evans cycles recently, and I think some were quite a bit under 500 smackers.
The other thing to consider is whether your lad will keep on cycling. There's always a big take up of tennis after Wimbledon, but it soon fades.
 Hat Dude 25 Jul 2014
In reply to Enty:

> Pinarello do one and you can even get them from Halfords.

Sir Brad's lad should've outgrown the one he rode on the Champs Elysee in 2012 by now; maybe they'll sell it secondhand
Bingers 27 Jul 2014
In reply to Bingers:

Has anyone had any experience of Viking Race Pro 14? Why I didn't think about Go Outdoors, I don't know.

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/viking-race-pro-24-inch-p298609

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...