UKC

Starting out with digital - things to consider?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Currently using a point and shoot Lumix FT3 but now thinking of getting into digital photography as a hobby. Planning on landscape, flora and fauna type subjects mainly. May want to manipulate the images (or whatever the correct word is!) at some point in future, but to start with just basic cropping etc.
I will be researching cameras to see what is out there for what I am wanting to aim for and am happy to research that though feel free to make suggestions of cameras if you have favourites. The aim would be to buy a camera to do me a long time so will be better spec than I would need in the initial learning curve, though I have already ruled out full on DSLRs. Going to look at CSCs as thinking I want option for different lenses. More what I have are questions on what other things do I need to consider to hopefully be prepared and avoid potentially costly mistakes.
Since I don't do anything with my point and shoot photos except store and email to friends, etc., what I would appreciate some guidance on ......
Does hobbyist digital photography need or is better with a high end PC? If so what sort of spec? Use lots of storage (don't know anything about RAW pics, etc)? Should storage be separate from PC or not? How do you back up the photos? Are memory cards better quality with price and do you really need a better card? Do I need to consider a special printer or is any modern printer capable of good enough results for a beginning hobbyist? Other things to consider about digital photography that to the lay person are not obvious when starting out? Any book or magazine recommendations for learning? Or even courses?
Thanks in anticipation.
 Marek 24 Jul 2014
In reply to Climbing Pieman:
> Thanks in anticipation.

I'll get in first... perhaps.

>Does hobbyist digital photography need or is better with a high end PC? If so what sort of spec?

Mid-range in fine. If you get serious then you'll want/need a good quality and regularly calibrated monitor. That probably the only 'oddity'.

>Use lots of storage (don't know anything about RAW pics, etc)?

Yes, but then modern storage ~1TB is pretty cheap.

>Should storage be separate from PC or not? How do you back up the photos?

Primary storage in PC. Copy to external USB disk and if you're paranoid to another one such that one is always off-site.

>Are memory cards better quality with price and do you really need a better card?

Never notice much difference, but they cheap so why skimp?

>Do I need to consider a special printer or is any modern printer capable of good enough results for a beginning hobbyist?

Yes you need a 'photo' printer (if you want to print your own pictures). Which one is a big subject.
 Stevie989 24 Jul 2014

Join

Talkphotography

Its a decent wee forum if you ignore the usual internet rubbish.

In reply to Marek & Stevie989:

Many thanks for info.

> Use lots of storage (don't know anything about RAW pics, etc)?

RAW uses heaps of space, 2TB drives are coming down in price every day though.

> Should storage be separate from PC or not?

For the same reason that you should have a non-local backup of any important files

> How do you back up the photos?

Copy and paste, nice and easy (though possibly quite slow) It might be worth getting an external drive with SATA or at least USB 3.0 to speed up data transfer. Adobe Lightroom will export a backup which stores all the MODIFICATIONS to the images but not the images themselves, so you backup the files and then backup the Lightroom files if you want (or just export an edited image)

> Are memory cards better quality with price and do you really need a better card?

Some cards work better in the high and low temperature ranges. Worth using if it gets really cold (I seem to remember in the range of -10C). Also there are "HD" cards which actually write data faster meaning you can take more frames per second. Important if you are using your camera for video as well and stills since most cameras can shoot 1080p and 30fps these days.

> Do I need to consider a special printer or is any modern printer capable of good enough results for a beginning hobbyist?

A proper photo printer will make much nicer and longer-lasting photos but are still very expensive and suck up money on ink.

>Other things to consider about digital photography that to the lay person are not obvious when starting out?

The advice to check your colour calibration of your monitor is good. My dad has a weird little device which will adjust the screen colours so you can see what the printed picture will look like. It makes a surprising amount of difference.

Digital point-and-shoots often struggle in low light. I basically don't bother with mine at night if I don't have a tripod.

My point-and-shoot is a Nikon Coolpix AW-something-or-other and I've decided waterproof cameras are really cool! Great for Scottish winter when everything is soaked, and I actually took it swimming once.

Take heaps of pictures! They're basically free.

What you want is a Fuji X-E1, with 18-55 and 50-230 lenses.

By chance I am looking to sell just such a set up.

Absolutely mnt! Taken less than 50 shots.

A genuine fair bargain for £500.

BarrySW19 25 Jul 2014

> Does hobbyist digital photography need or is better with a high end PC?

No, unless video processing is part of your requirements. Even a basic PC these days can easily handle photo processing. Screen quality is another story though.

> Do I need to consider a special printer or is any modern printer capable of good enough results for a beginning hobbyist?

If you are printing more than a few pictures you will find it cheaper to use an online service anyway. As people often point out, inkjet ink costs more per gram than gold. Unless you really need a print immediately, consider using a printing service instead.

In reply to Bob_the_Builder:
Thanks for your reply. Interesting about temp for cards - never thought of that. I really like my Lumix waterproof camera for what it does. Taken lots of abuse in the hills. It's using this point and shoot that has caused me to want more from photography. That's why I exploring it further.
Monitor, as Marek said also, I can imagine now it's been mentioned a very important aspect for the off camera handling and printing. Very useful info so if I do get really serious then I can plan that with maybe a new PC.
"Take heaps of pictures! They're basically free." Like. Expecting lots of duff shots in the learning curve!
Thanks for all.
In reply to BarrySW19:
Thanks. Video is not something I was thinking about. Might get away with my current PC for a while if I upgrade storage and particularly external/backup storage.

Never thought about an online printing service. Can't imagine any hurry so will check them out. Any pointers to one you are happy with?
Post edited at 09:00
In reply to Dispater:
Thanks. Appreciate the offer. Not a model I know anything about, but I'll check it's online spec to consider further. Like the idea of telephoto as part of a package! I'll get back to you if I think the model is what I'm after.
I was planning on getting some hands on looking at cameras very soon as personally I think the feel, handling, weight, etc are all part of the experience of using a camera.
 ChrisJD 25 Jul 2014

You said you've ruled out DSLR.

But I'd perhaps consider second hand DSLR. For example, give something like this a go:

http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-used-canon-eos-50d-digital-slr-camera-bo...

http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-used-canon-ef-s-17-85mm-f4-5-6-is-usm-le...

(or look on Ebay)

If you find that don't like photography or want to move up or sideways, sell on without too much loss. Equipment is more of a journey than a final destination straight away

(Canon selected just because I know the model range - other brand will of course be available, but Canon will sell on second hand easily)
In reply to ChrisJD:
Thanks, appreciated. Reasons that I have ruled out DSLRs in my initial thinking include that I have read (too many?) comments: about size and weight, both camera and lenses, and folk not taking them out and about regularly due to that; and unless you are into the high end photography, or have very specific requirements, say like low light shooting ability, that most are not really justified. Indeed last night I was talking to a friend and he is not taking his DSLR on a holiday abroad later this year as he said it was too big. I have also heard professionals downsizing so makes me think. I also want to get into the habit of carrying just in case type scenario and smaller and lighter suits this. Once I get a chance to handle cameras I may change my thoughts - for example if DSLRs are easier to handle for my hand size etc.
Thanks for the links. Useful to know and would not rule out secondhand from a reliable or trusted source.
Yes it will be a journey no doubt about that.
 ChrisJD 25 Jul 2014

PS - Use paragraphs to your posts - makes for easier reading
In reply to ChrisJD:

> PS - Use paragraphs to your posts - makes for easier reading

Bad habit of mine. Sorry.

Just one comment to make re:
Take heaps of pictures! They're basically free.
That is true but get into the habit of looking at each picture you take and deciding what to improve before you take the next one. Great pictures never come accidentally - they come from being prepared and alert.
In reply to keith-ratcliffe:
Thanks for the tip. Could be so easy just to take pics and not spend the time to learn what was good and bad about them and try to get a better shot.
 Brass Nipples 27 Jul 2014

If tricky light then shoot raw, as it uses 14-bit range of camera sensors rather than 8-bit of jpg. Thus it can record wider dynamic range of light as 4096 values rather than compress it into 256 values.

Viewing LCD screen in sun can be a pain, DSLRs still have a view finder and enable accurate framing even in bright light.

You can change ISO in fly or set it to auto. You can get surprisingly good shots even at 3200 ISO if you have a camera with large sensor.

You can fit approx 465 JPGs on a 2Gb card on a 10 megapixel camera. Memory is cheap so no need to skimp.

Some also take HD video, so consider those as well.
In reply to Orgsm:

Thanks for that helpful info. Appreciated.

I can see I have alot of learning to do, but looking forward to it.
 icnoble 27 Jul 2014

Forget about a photo printer, even when you use cheap photo paper and refillable ink cartridges you will ged great results from on line companies. I have used Asda and Aldi, both very good.

This company are good for second hand equipment.

http://www.mpbphotographic.co.uk/

Regarding monitors I would get a Dell monitor fro

I have used this company and are very good.

They are called NRG-IT. They are an Ebay shop
 mikehike 27 Jul 2014

My ten peneth,

'Keep it simple' can be applied anywhere in life and photography is definitely an application for keeping it simple.

As your already aware DSLR's can all too often be left at home. Mine comes out when ive a specific shot or I go out with a mate on an evening for a photography session even then not always.

Interchangeable lens system cameras, never had one so cant comment but imagine some of the above would still apply.

-----imho!-----

I get a lot of keepers (satisfactory photos) from my Galaxy Android Phone. The IQ aint anywhere near that of a dedicated camera but the point im making is the simplicity of getting a Good Composition, in phone post processing and upload to the web for sharing. That makes a me satisfied photographer. KISS.

I advise you head to Flickr and start checking out some of the gallery's dedicated to shots taken exclusively using a camera that interests you. You may be surprised by the quality. Photographers are taking nice shots with relatively low pixel count cameras.

Take the Panasonic LX7
https://www.flickr.com/search/groups/?w=all&q=LX7

Plus example of one of my LX7 shots here. (no dramatic light that day)
http://500px.com/photo/71741967/harthope-valley-cheviots-northumberland-uk-...

This example contains four exposures, two pairs blended then stitched together for panoramic effect. Point being I did not need to carry a wide angle lens. The IQ of the original is far better than this online file, you can really zoom in.
You can do so much now in PP.

The key is to have a camera that is not going to be left at home.
Composes shots well, the LX7 has a good screen and even better with EVF
Have full manual Control
RAW Capability
Filter mounts for Long Exposure work etc

All cameras have compromises. Just check out reviews of high end DSLRS and the amount of bickering over minor points is unreal. Buy top dollar and you can end up disappointed unless you are really dedicated and know whats what.

I imagine that the LX7 will be at the bottom end of acceptable IQ? Which takes me to the Sigma DP2M, exceptional IQ fixed focal length compact camera. Im not recommending you get one of these but the point being its a tool for taking specific landscape shots, it wont get left at home, I learn to work with a set focal length and have the pleasure of the IQ.

Gear Acquisition Syndrome is real so watch out

Good Luck

mh
 icnoble 27 Jul 2014

What budget do you have? Regarding learning recommendations youtube is a great resource.
In reply to icnoble:

Thanks for info.
In reply to mikehike:

Appreciate your detailed comments.

"Gear Acquisition Syndrome" - did not know it existed . Think my normally controlled attitude to spending will guard against it.
In reply to icnoble:

No budget set - early days of research and understanding differences between needs and wants. Wants often get squashed by me if they are not sensible. Once I know more I'll be able to assess realistic budget.

I'll check out youtube, thanks.
In reply to keith-ratcliffe:

Good point. Most of my photos are taken on the move, I rarely get people who are willing to wait for me, or I'm climbing so can't sit around. So I tend to go for the "spray and pray" approach, which I definitely couldn't do with film. I do try to analyse what worked and what didn't though when I get home.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...