UKC

Slackline setup with no trees

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ColinVern 24 Jul 2014
Not sure if this is the right part of the forum for this question, but here goes!
I'm looking to set up a slackline in my garden over the grass, but as the question says there aren't any trees suitable for an anchor. No chance of drilling anchors into the house either due to a few obstacles.
I've done a bit of research and seen ideas that involve digging, concrete, thick posts and a couple of A-frames and was hoping the collective knowledge of UKC could give me some advice on what system you know might work, or more importantly what doesn't work!
Cheers for any input,

Colin
OP ColinVern 24 Jul 2014
In reply to MaranaF:
I have though about a permanent deadman like the one here http://slackline.hivefly.com/slackline-without-trees/ . Anyone have any idea how deep something like this would have to go without pulling out of the soil?
OP ColinVern 24 Jul 2014
In reply to MaranaF:
Also, concrete fence posts..?
Cheers for any help, want to get my head around it before I start digging up the garden!
 alexjz 24 Jul 2014
In reply to ColinVern:
2 Fencing posts 4 sturdy foot-long pegs and some rope work.
Post edited at 19:45
 tlm 24 Jul 2014
In reply to ColinVern:

There is a load of information here:

http://slackline.hivefly.com/slackline-without-trees/

Also, our local wall have a freestanding one, on a frame, which might be good if you want to move it? Don't forget to plan for how you will mow!
OP ColinVern 24 Jul 2014
In reply to tlm:
Freestanding would be ideal I guess, though how do they stop it tipping over when tensioned? Beams in between the two ends?
 tlm 24 Jul 2014
In reply to ColinVern:
Here you go:

http://www.rei.com/product/839821/gibbon-slackrack-freestanding-slackline-k...

Not cheap though! There are wide legs on each end and a beam that joins the two ends....

There might be cheaper ones around....
OP ColinVern 24 Jul 2014
In reply to tlm:
Thanks, not cheap indeed! I'll do some hunting around.
 Reach>Talent 24 Jul 2014
In reply to ColinVern:

There is some information on stakes on the bolt products website that may be of use. I've seen a set-up involving a couple of A-frames and a few good sized stakes, just be careful as there will be a lot of force on the stakes and if they let go it won't be funny so you may want to think about tethering the stakes so they can't fly too far.
OP ColinVern 24 Jul 2014
In reply to Reach>Talent:
Loads of info there, thanks.
csambrook 24 Jul 2014
In reply to ColinVern:

> I have though about a permanent deadman like the one here http://slackline.hivefly.com/slackline-without-trees/ . Anyone have any idea how deep something like this would have to go without pulling out of the soil?

We use what that website calls "augers" to anchor trapeze rigs and they work very well, probably only 40 to 60cm down in normal soil. Try googling for "ground anchour". Or you could use the old style circus method of a "pin" by which they mean a bloody great metal stake which gets bashed in with a sledge hammer.

Hang on a minute though, this is UKC, think belay stake, a length of angle iron bashed in.
 aln 24 Jul 2014
In reply to ColinVern:

Why don't you go somewhere where there are trees you can use?
 nik king 24 Jul 2014
In reply to ColinVern:

You need to dig in a couple of posts. At least 4"x4" but 6"x4" would be better with the 6" I. The direction of the line. Depending on the quality of the ground, about 3 feet down should do it. Then you need to triangulate the posts back to the ground from just below the point where the line attaches to the post. The triangulating pieces could be removable with a bit of woodwork. I set one up at home and arrived at these principles after a bit of trial and error and lots of worrying creaks. It's easy to under estimate the force excerpted by the tension in the line.

Then place paddling pool under line and attempt to walk it whilst kids pelt you with plastic balls from ball pool. Never mind high line in Yosemite, that's proper jeopardy.
 Guy Atkinson 25 Jul 2014
In reply to ColinVern:

A couple of log/stumps instead of a-frames, lay it across, peg it in at the ends?
jim 26 Jul 2014
In reply to ColinVern:

The set up I've made for grass is 2 a frames very simple to make with a few lengths of 4x2 s one bolts and screws. And for attatching it I use 2 marque pegs at each end (the long metal ones) I then use a sling each end to link them together and crab to attatch sling to slack line works really well can get it pretty tight I guess if you want it tighter add more pegs
OP ColinVern 26 Jul 2014
In reply to jim:
Thanks, it's something to think about rather than digging holes for posts!
 jnymitch 26 Jul 2014
In reply to ColinVern:

you could get some drive in tree anchors, used to attach the root balls of semi mature tree planting, to attach the stake for the slack line, they fix at about 3 foot deep , look like a mini spade anchor. not cheap ( honey brothers or richmonds could advise you)
 petegunn 26 Jul 2014
In reply to ColinVern:

We have just finished setting a slackline up in our garden. Luckily one of the anchors is a tree so only needed one other anchor.
We didn't have the room for a buried anchor system so went for a post cemented into a hole. We have used an 8' steel hollow tube (reinforced with post mix/concrete), 5'in the ground 3' above.
We painted it and when not in use the post is incorporated into a bird feeding station so looks good and not out of place.
Old telegraph poles is another idea others have used. These are not cheep though, so look around for a bargain. 8' by 6-8" diameter seems to be standard for a free standing post.
OP ColinVern 27 Jul 2014
In reply to petegunn/jnymitch:

Thanks for the ideas, going to shop around for some posts/stakes soon!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...